Heavy winds coming tonight

AlanM

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My tank went from 79.5 to 77 in about two hours. Trying to slow that down. I am stirring the water regularly for the fish but don't want to do it too much because its speeding up the heat loss.

Our place didn't lose power, but the next neighborhood is all down.  It seems to just be which trees fell.  

No problem here, but I have to go to work at the rink in a couple hours ad am afraid to go out on the road, because I keep hearing sirens going down Georgia Ave.

As far as keeping a tank warm in outages, I would like to know whether one of either corals or fish are more susceptible to suffering in cool temperatures than the other. Asking because I have no fish.

Unrelated- did anyone actually sleep last night?

Like a baby. But, then again, I'd been working late and getting up early for the past several days. Exhausted. It was howling outside by the time I went to sleep at 1:30 AM. (I live on the side of a mountain looking back out to the Blue Ridge about 10 miles distant, so the wind can come in pretty hard and fast. 60 mph gusts are not unheard of at my place, but having them for 36 hours is very unusual.)

Our power flickered on/off from last night until around lunch today. It kept tripping my GFI outlet that runs my pump. This helped identify an issue that I'll definitely fix very soon

Like a baby. But, then again, I'd been working late and getting up early for the past several days. Exhausted. It was howling outside by the time I went to sleep at 1:30 AM. (I live on the side of a mountain looking back out to the Blue Ridge about 10 miles distant, so the wind can come in pretty hard and fast. 60 mph gusts are not unheard of at my place, but having them for 36 hours is very unusual.)

Lucky i barely slept a wink. All the windows in my house are creeky. Though i re-caught the flu so i may just wake up bc of that too.

My power has finally gone out. How do i find information on when it will be restored?(if any) It’s been out for an hour. Only 3 fish in 36 gallons and tons of coral. My dad will be home at 5 to hopefully setup the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any danger running an extension cord from this outlet in our GC to the aquarium power strip to turn on heater and pumps for a minutes at a time? Assume I should start the car before plugging in.

15d2f1be442c02dd31a53a302fc4dea5.jpg

9495edccdf4fe967ec7b200f0d5ca1dc.jpg

Sorry I forgot to add photos my last post.

15d2f1be442c02dd31a53a302fc4dea5.jpg

9495edccdf4fe967ec7b200f0d5ca1dc.jpg

Sorry I forgot to add photos my last post.

For heaters, it's probably no big deal as long as you stay below the total load. For some pumps it may depend on whether or not the output is sinusoidal or nearly so, vice some other output with higher harmonic content. I suspect, though, that AC power in a car is not going to kill your consumer electronics, so it's very likely to be safe to drive your pumps. 

Thanks Tom. The heater is more important at this point as I can continue to manually agitate the water for oxygen if needed.

d7eb9a54dc52be332c4c02629fee0630.jpg

No power in Manassas since before dawn, had to cut this up to get access out.

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED: got 10gallon Nuvo. Got battery operated air pump running through the tank with long airstone. Keeping the trmp between 78-79. Do i need to stir the tank as well?

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED: got 10gallon Nuvo. Got battery operated air pump running through the tank with long airstone. Keeping the trmp between 78-79. Do i need to stir the tank as well?

Airstone should be enough to sustain life :)

Ecotech battery backup died short of 12 hours running two mp40s. Maybe in the future I should only have it run one, although this has been the longest we've ever been without power. Still no estimate from dominion. Fortunately my Amazon same day delivery just came with my battery air pumps. This will save me from scooping and dumping throughout the night.

Link to the battery powered air pumps on amazon woth same day delivery? Not seeing anything other than an add on.

I purchased these at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-Metal-Hush-Bubbles-Quiet-Air-Pump-2-D-Batteries-75-Hours-B-16/16326902

They worked very well. The basement is getting cold though so I finally bought a generator. Much more peace of mind. I now have both tanks return pumps and heaters running.

Silver Spring MD here and didn't lose any power, but I have a battery bubbler from my fishing bait live well just in case.  Wind seems to have died down a lot. 

Almost 24 hours sans power

16 hrs here. Went to sleep at midnight and woke up at 2 am to start the car to run heaters/pumps on each tank again. The house is down to 60F which is just sucking the heat from the tanks. I have each tank double wrapped in blankets/comforters/quilts.

Power out since 5pm yesterday. Tanks are now down to around 70. I know my freshwater tanks will he fine but I just hope my reefs survive. I see online that there is a fair amount of success recovering from temperature drops down to the mid 60s so hopefully the power comes back soon. All tanks have battery powered bubbles going off with the last D batteries I found at Wal-Mart

What are people experiences here with big temperature drops due to power outages, faulty heaters etc.?

(edited)

Link to the battery powered air pumps on amazon woth same day delivery? Not seeing anything other than an add on.

I bought 5 of the marina ones plus D batteries. So was over the threshold for add-on and free same day.

Edited by cpu933k