In support of the fruit stand?

AlanM

I am setting up a 180 gallon tank.  Still dry, and it already feels too small as I assemble stacks of rock in it.  I'm trying not to make the mistakes I made in my 75g tank where I did a nice arrangement of rocks which weren't in the most efficient places to put coral, and as a result have little room for big colonies as things grow out and into each other..  

In the new tank as I arrange the rocks I realized that I was making sure there are lots of flat areas starting low in the front and getting higher towards the back.  That's basically the arrangement that for the past few years has been derided as the "fruit stand" approach to rock setup and coral placement.  It just seems like the most logical arrangement for maximizing space for cool corals.

What are WAMAS members feelings about the fruit stand?  Everyone likes seeing a novel and cool arrangement of rock all cantilevered out or a clever minimal tank, but 1) I'm not in the artistic league of someone like chingchai to be able to pull something like that off and 2) I like lots of coral. heh

Personally, I like the "fruit stand" approach as long as there is an openness to the rock work. While that openness has lots of great benefits, it also allows the person viewing the tank to go on a journey of sorts by looking through all the voids leading into the rockwork where animals may be residing. I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was not when I went through my first build. I liked the artistic rock work. Then quickly ran into the same issue of where to put corals. Now I understand the fruit stand...

In a 6' tank you'll be able to create three smaller structures in a variety of designs.

If you didn't live so far away I would try to lure you here to work my arrangement. Yours came out so great. I am going bare bottom, though, so mine feels weird to me no matter what I do.

If you didn't live so far away I would try to lure you here to work my arrangement. Yours came out so great. I am going bare bottom, though, so mine feels weird to me no matter what I do.

You're always one rock from perfection; I just dont want to make it worse trying LOL.

need to see pictures.

Kind of terrible pictures because it's hard to get perspective on what the rocks look like.  But they're taller in the back, up to about half the height of the tank.  Some ledges with open space underneath, some branch coming from back to front.  The rocks that are stacked are done with a bunch of open space, and there is about 2 inches to the back wall.  Also, there's a wrasse den right in the middle.  

I plan to put some scoly's and fungia and a clam or two along the front on the bottom.  

IMG_0101_zpsiuhsqzar.jpg

IMG_0102_zpspxoq4qkn.jpg

Holy detritus... just make sure you get enough flow thru those rocks... Otherwise this will look awesome completely covered in coral. What types of coral are you thinking about?

I personally don't like stack work. I'll find rocks with a natural cave for hiding. And i do islands.

Also I love the bursts of colors everywhere that you refer to as a "fruit stand" lol

OK, I'm still thinking three structures. Start with the largest (ie longest) structure on one side, the middle structure a little smaller, and the far side smaller yet. I'd literally remove 1/3 of the rock you have (at least). Use passage ways to create depth; what I mean by this is in the gap between the island structures, angle them but leave at least 6" between them (8-10 would be ideal). This draws your eye from front to back and creates the illusion of depth. For the final island, just place it off by itself with a considerable amount of space around it (at least 8" from the middle structure and side of the tank) but move it toward the front or back (within 2" of the glass).

Alan, my advice is to do what you want with the tank.  Whatever you like is what you'll end up with.  I don't like the set up some people have but to others it looks great.  Key for any rockwork is flow, hiding places, and room for corals.  My personal tastes tend towards caves, overhangs, and lots of places for the animals to dart out of.  I am one of those idiots who also sets up great open spaces behind the rockwork for the fish to play in without being seen.  This has backfired on me multiple times in the past, but it's what gives them the opportunity to be themselves.  The seahorse tank at work right now is the perfect example.  I had it set up where there was really on a single place where the seahorses could hide without being seen then I had to reseal the front pane of glass and now it's got a ton of hiding places for them.  They like one place in the back where they have their little orgies which is truly interesting behavior but not really something I want children witnessing so it works out well to have a hidden place for them.  The proof is in the pudding for these seahorses, though, they breed like mad and are happy with the rockwork,they don't get trapped anywhere, and there are no places where detritus really builds up, even in a fairly low flow system.

Bottom line again is do what makes you happy.  Once your coral grows out you won't see much of your rock anyway.

So Rob came over today and helped stack some rocks. Started by taking most of them out.

Here is the result. I really like it, he concentrated on making nice sight lines and big tunnels for fish while leaving plenty of rock exposed on top for coral.

The big brown slab of ceramic on top on the right blends in better under blue light. Will look like the other rock once they get covered in coral and corraline and algae.

That is a really cool scape nice work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That looks really good...

Huge improvement!

Thanks!

Looks like I'm about ready to get this wet!