True Facts About the Mantis Shrimp

Origami

So, we've got a member looking for a small mantis shrimp to add to this tank and, while another member posted a link to a hilarious story on The Oatmeal, I thought that I'd share this one (without derailing the other thread). For your enjoyment:

I subscribed to zefrank1's page long ago because of gut-busting vignettes like this one.

Gotta check out some of his other stuff. The True Facts About Marsupials should be a must-view.

I wouldnt have minded; topics are there to spark conversation if nothing else. The more posts the better the chances of getting some info exchanged. Now off to check the site...

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Makes me want one. Species tank only, I think. Surprising that they haven't taken over the entire ocean.

"Stay afraid." Good advice.

That was hilarious! I loved it, thanks for sharing.

• 6 months later...

FYI:

A bunch of that footage is mine, filmed by me in my own tanks, used by ZeFrank via agreement.

That's even me at the very end (last 10 seconds or so)...I'm the only other voice on the soundtrack!

I also licensed/sold some of this to National Geographic that I later saw on TV.

Mantis shrimp are awesome.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

FYI:

A bunch of that footage is mine, filmed by me in my own tanks, used by ZeFrank via agreement.

That's even me at the very end (last 10 seconds or so)...I'm the only other voice on the soundtrack!

I also licensed/sold some of this to National Geographic that I later saw on TV.

Mantis shrimp are awesome.

tim

Thats pretty cool. Do you keep a lot of mantis shrimp?

Thats pretty cool. Do you keep a lot of mantis shrimp?

I used to have a bunch of them, but I don't have any anymore.

I bought some at Roozen's.  At least 1 was given to me as a hitchhiker by a member.

I had a bunch of small (like 2.5G and 5G) tanks I used to keep the smaller ones in.

The part at the end of the ZeFrank video is in a Chiragra mantis in a 2.5G tank.  Here's the full video I made that ZeFrank harvested from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHlK09HuHY

I used to have a bunch of them, but I don't have any anymore.

I bought some at Roozen's.  At least 1 was given to me as a hitchhiker by a member.

I had a bunch of small (like 2.5G and 5G) tanks I used to keep the smaller ones in.

The part at the end of the ZeFrank video is in a Chiragra mantis in a 2.5G tank.  Here's the full video I made that ZeFrank harvested from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHlK09HuHY

hahahahah. How did that last one feel?

That's awesome, Tim. I had no idea. I used to love ZeFrank's stuff. I wish he did even more.

hahahahah. How did that last one feel?

Well...it hurt!

It didn't tear my finger off or crush it or anything, but it made a small bruise and was sore for a little while.  I've been struck quite a few times, that's about the extent of what it seems a smasher can do, even a big peacock.  I never had a spearer, I was scared of getting skewered (still am!).

I had that guy in the 2.5G tank trying to see if he could break the super thin glass.  He hit it hundreds of times...didn't seem close to being able to break it...and that glass was very, very thin.  I had a bunch of other mantis in that tank trying as well...I really wanted to make a video showing them actually breaking the glass of the aquarium they were in, but alas...I don't believe they can.

That's really cool.  I had no idea some of that footage was from you.

I'm everywhere!

That's awesome, Tim. I had no idea. I used to love ZeFrank's stuff. I wish he did even more.

Yeah, I actually didn't discover his stuff until after he contacted me asking for permission to use some of my mantis stuff, when I watched some of his other videos. 

They're pretty funny.

I like this one: -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jz0JcQYtqo

We've all seen creatures of the ocean that have an incredible ability to disguise themselves. With 16 cones the Mantis are easily able to distinguish the subtle color variations between disguised prey and its background.