Finally Happened: Tank Boil and Nuke.

After all the crap I've put all my tanks through. I finally had a hard crash. This pair of clowns had been laying eggs constantly. I got to see them mate, clear rocks, lay, protect, and hatch eggs for the last year or two.

What is by far on of my most trusted brand of heater failed... in the on position. 

Lesson learned/re-learned.

Undersized heaters people! Seriously youre house is pretty close to the 70's anyway.

Use high quality heaters, though... those break down too...

Controllers... may be worth the investment. 

PhotoGrid 1459398643550

I'm anticipating moving in the next two months and I've now got a helluva hair algae problem. I don't know whether to rebuild or dry her out and start over. :(

How old.....I started replacing mine every year or 2 after one did the same thing (mine was a crapier manufacturer)......

Rob suggested changing them out every so often and I follow that advice now

Controllers help but they can fail too

Sorry to hear man aND sorry about the fish they always hurt the most

..hopefully the smell goes away quickly...took me almost a week.

May be a good time to start over...rocks will need another mini cycle most likely with all that dead stuff

That sucks, man. Very sorry. A controller is a nice protection for this: not only will it monitor and alert temp, but will not activate the socket unless the temp is low. I use 2 sockets with 6 heaters in a big system. A temp spike would require both the controller and the heater to simultaneously fail and each heater is too small to raise the system temp much. And I would get and email and text. And the heater socket is programs to default to off. If you are moving soon, it might be a blessing. Moving a healthy tank is stressful both to you and the fish/coral - and also sometimes on a relationship when you should be doing other things for the move besides obsessing on the tank. If it were me, I would clean everything up and just use the time to cycle the rock so you are ready to hit the ground running after you move. Once you are up and running and stable, hit some of us up for some frags (I got hooked up when I had a salinity crash and would like to pay it forward). If you love the hobby, don't let a crash chase you out: we have all had them. . . well, except for Oragami :)

No, Steve, I've had a crash. Moved my tank too quickly between homes, and doing a few extra things along the way. It hurts. I completely sympathize.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

No, Steve, I've had a crash. Moved my tank too quickly between homes, and doing a few extra things along the way. It hurts. I completely sympathize.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Tom what or how did you do it to quickly. I'm moving in a few weeks and want to make sure I cover all bases to make sure this doesn't happen to me.

Wow!  99.  Sorry to hear about the loss.  Let me know if you need some corals to get going again.

Bruce

As I was scrolling through the thread, I was hoping to see an April Fool's Day post, since you posted on April 1st. No such luck. Sorry to hear that this happened to you and sorry to see the loss of your critters.