How prepared are you for snowmageddon?

arking_mark

Two things - If you get too large of an inverter and are running on a deep cycle battery it will drain your battery faster, right?  I was told to get one close to what you anticipate needing, and not to get the biggest one you can afford.  I got a 300 watt inverter because I really don't foresee any need for more to power a 75 watt heater and some circulation.

Also, I have 2 35AH deep cycle batteries and the 300 watt inverter...but was just told that it's a must to have a fuse between them, and it's not really optional.  I got what I was told was the required wire, fuse holder, and 40 amp fuses, but is there a solution that doesn't require splicing?  If it's so necessary, why don't they sell a cable with an inline fuse holder that has finished ends?  And the wire seems tiny...12 gauge.  Is that enough?  Another battery guy told me "you could probably get away without a fuse".

I would highly recommend fuses. They sell auto-reset blade fuse and also sell fuse holder for them too. Check Automobile parts stores or online. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-GAUGE-INLINE-MAXI-FUSE-HOLDER-WITH-40-AMP-FUSE-HEAVY-DUTY-/171368538260

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nano, so if lights go out, I will put everything in buckets and put it on my running SUV full of gas lol..

Other preparations for the storm:

24" Ariens snow blower

Went grocery shopping

2 cars full of gas

Still need at least 24 beer bottles

I have a nano, so if lights go out, I will put everything in buckets and put it on my running SUV full of gas lol..

Other preparations for the storm:

24" Ariens snow blower

Went grocery shopping

2 cars full of gas

Still need at least 24 beer bottles

Stay thirsty my friend..lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a wacky project one time dealing with UPS's and learned one interesting fact:  Typical computer UPS's are NOT designed to provide power over a long time.  Their circuity and batteries can't handle the heat, discharge characteristics and other issues that occur over a longer time period.  Computer UPS's are only designed to provide power for 10-20 minutes- long enough to shut down a computer.  By buying a bigger UPS with more battery juice, you are getting a UPS that is intended to keep a bigger computer running for the same 10-20 minutes, not a smaller computer running longer.

Anyways, sorry to derail this thread.  I just thought it would be useful things for people to keep in mind as they ponder options.

Had not considered that.  Excellent info, and definitely not a derailment.

Fired up the generator this morning.  Works great, but I hope I don't need to use it.

You guys all scared me so I went to Best Buy last night and bought the biggest batter backup I could find. 400 some odd minutes of runtime and 900 watts. I hope its enough to run at least one powerhead and a 300w heater.

Thanks for all the input.  New plan!

Tank:  34 Gal RSM 130D.

Heater:  150watt

Circulation pump:  Jebao wp4 (10 Watts)

Estimate wattage needed to keep tank running = 40 watts from heater (as it is not on all the time) and 10 watts from circulation pump for a total of 50 Watts/hour.

1.  UPS for short power outages and blips (normal setup for me anyway).  During small outages, I will get 1.5 hrs for backup (testing today).  Calculation:  .7 efficiency * 9AH * 12v Battery; (12v * 9Ah) / (50 Watt/hr).  .7*12*9/50 = 1.5 hours.

2.  Bought a '31 Deep Cycle Marine Battery' from home depot, a battery charger, and a 500 watt inverter.  This battery has 115AH so I should get about 19hrs of backup life. Calculation: 7. * 115 * 12 / 50 = 19

3.  When that battery dies, will run a car with the same inverter...  With full tank of gas, I estimate I could go another 20+ hrs.

Hopefully, that get me through this storm.

Mark

You guys all scared me so I went to Best Buy last night and bought the biggest batter backup I could find. 400 some odd minutes of runtime and 900 watts. I hope its enough to run at least one powerhead and a 300w heater.

If this is a battery backup, don't make the mistake I made with the UPS.  You need to know the Amp Hours of the battery...the information they provide is how much load it can handle.  My UPS says 1400VA / 840 Watts...this just means how much equipment it can support for a short time (11 minutes on 1/2 load and 3 on full load...enough time to gracefully shut down PCs).

What you need is a Deep Cycle Battery and enough Amp Hours to support your load.  A big circulation pump will draw at least 40 watts and estimate 20% of your heater or 60 watts.  So your load will be 100 watts per hour.  If you want 24 hours of backup you'll need a 280AH battery.  Largest one I found was 115AH at home depot (@ 109$).

I would highly recommend fuses. They sell auto-reset blade fuse and also sell fuse holder for them too. Check Automobile parts stores or online. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-GAUGE-INLINE-MAXI-FUSE-HOLDER-WITH-40-AMP-FUSE-HEAVY-DUTY-/171368538260

Thanks! That's exactly like the one I picked up.  I was surprised that, as much as I see "deep cycle battery + inverter" that you just don't see "oh, and you need a fuse".

If this is a battery backup, don't make the mistake I made with the UPS.  You need to know the Amp Hours of the battery...the information they provide is how much load it can handle.  My UPS says 1400VA / 840 Watts...this just means how much equipment it can support for a short time (11 minutes on 1/2 load and 3 on full load...enough time to gracefully shut down PCs).

What you need is a Deep Cycle Battery and enough Amp Hours to support your load.  A big circulation pump will draw at least 40 watts and estimate 20% of your heater or 60 watts.  So your load will be 100 watts per hour.  If you want 24 hours of backup you'll need a 280AH battery.  Largest one I found was 115AH at home depot (@ 109$).

Well lets hope it works. Lol. I will have to take a look at the model and do some research when I get home.

Thanks for all the input.  New plan!

Tank:  34 Gal RSM 130D.

Heater:  150watt

Circulation pump:  Jebao wp4 (10 Watts)

Estimate wattage needed to keep tank running = 40 watts from heater (as it is not on all the time) and 10 watts from circulation pump for a total of 50 Watts/hour.

1.  UPS for short power outages and blips (normal setup for me anyway).  During small outages, I will get 1.5 hrs for backup (testing today).  Calculation:  .7 efficiency * 9AH * 12v Battery; (12v * 9Ah) / (50 Watt/hr).  .7*12*9/50 = 1.5 hours.

2.  Bought a '31 Deep Cycle Marine Battery' from home depot, a battery charger, and a 500 watt inverter.  This battery has 115AH so I should get about 19hrs of backup life. Calculation: 7. * 115 * 12 / 50 = 19

3.  When that battery dies, will run a car with the same inverter...  With full tank of gas, I estimate I could go another 20+ hrs.

Hopefully, that get me through this storm.

Mark

Nice job! You really picked up on all the various issues with a computer UPS for long term backup.  At the end of the day, without a generator, people go the Marine Battery route as you have detailed.

Now let's see if you end up need ANY of this! Hah :laugh:

Caved and bought a generator. Cost of the generator vs potentially losing all of my fish/coral if the power goes out made it an easy decision for me.

ha

I am very prepared, I made reservations in the Keys.
This is how I prepared for the last blizzard.
2012-08-16%2004.53.17_zpsyavioe0x.jpg

haha. I like your plan better but I would be super paranoid.

I am very prepared, I made reservations in the Keys.

This is how I prepared for the last blizzard.

Paul, you are a funny man. 

I have 2 120 watt auto power inverters and 3 cars with full tanks, This should be plenty to run my pumps. Unfortunately most power inverters will not produce true sine wave and thus cannot run an aquarium heater. 

HOW DO YOU KEEP TANK WARM? Boil water from gas stove? Ideas?

I am thinking

i

Paul, you are a funny man. 

I have 2 120 watt auto power inverters and 3 cars with full tanks, This should be plenty to run my pumps. Unfortunately most power inverters will not produce true sine wave and thus cannot run an aquarium heater. 

I am thinking

I have put a blanket or two over and around tank.  Make sure you unplug lights incase power comes back on.

The lady at the grocery store in front of me was buying 8 gallons of milk and 6 cartons of eggs along with a cart full of crap. Lol!! What do you think is gong to happen? It's snow. It comes every winter here.

Maybe she has 12 kids?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Heating water with a gas stove is what i use.

So you take tsome aquarium water out and heat it up and pour it back in?

The lady at the grocery store in front of me was buying 8 gallons of milk and 6 cartons of eggs along with a cart full of crap. Lol!! What do you think is gong to happen? It's snow. It comes every winter here.

My wife and I went grocery shopping last night as well. My wife wanted to buy something of everything. I had to remind her we were only buying for 2 or 3 days. We bought for about a week. Not on our list, bread, milk, eggs. I did by 5lbs of beef and 3 packs of bacon, but that's normal status, not snow panic status.

My wife and I went grocery shopping last night as well. My wife wanted to buy something of everything. I had to remind her we were only buying for 2 or 3 days. We bought for about a week. Not on our list, bread, milk, eggs. I did by 5lbs of beef and 3 packs of bacon, but that's normal status, not snow panic status.

Lol!!! I like your style. Gotta have the meats.

That being said, I'm wondering about my nano at work. I'm doing a 100% water change today, but I don't have anything on it but a HOB filter and a powerhead, no heater. I'm wondering if I should bring it home with me, or if it will be better at work. I'm contemplating just wrapping it in a blanket, which might be dangerous as the lights will probably still turn on and off.

Unfortunately most power inverters will not produce true sine wave and thus cannot run an aquarium heater. 

Why do you say that? Resistive heaters shouldn't care if you're feeding them a square wave or a modified sine wave or a sine wave. They're actually more forgiving than other devices that act poorly to the harmonic content in square and modified sine waves.

Your tank's water temperature can drop a substantial amount before most stuff will have much of a concern. Even 70 degrees is tolerable. You can increase the time it takes to get to the lower temperatures by raising the temperature of your tank a little now. For example, take it up to 80 from 78 will buy you a little extra time before you're forced to use other means to heat the tank.