So I'm finally moving

TrueTricia

It's finally happening!  The move I've been anticipating since July is soon upon me.  I'm moving from DC to Norfolk, VA, and I have to be out of the apartment by 8 Feb.  Once in Norfolk, I may settle somewhere permanently or for only 6 months.  It depends on how house hunting goes (I am buying, which is also scary).  I've also been absent from here, because buying new frags/fish is just too tempting!

I'm going to need to rehome all of my corals, because it just doesn't make sense to move them.  I'm going to give them away with caveats of fragging them back to me (probably under SWAP).  I don't have the time to go through and do an actual sale thread listing stuff, with a few exceptions.  I'll post a thread for that a little bit later, but it will probably be a p/up date of 23 & 24 January.  I need to have the tank disassembled for the movers by 5 February. 

I'm moving most of my fish down with me.  My plan is to use a Rubbermaid tank for the interim while I get settled and get the big tank set up.  How do you connect a skimmer with a Rubbermaid?  Section off an area, or run the skimmer external and create a PVC maze to get the water back? 

Any other advice I need? 

I have a Rubbermaid tub with all my fish and corals in it right now. Skimmer is sitting on a 5 gallon fish tank on its side and a cutting board on top. Hey it's what I had on hand.

No problems with fish but twice a snail got into the intake. Moved it and all is well.

If a fish gets stuck into the intake, then it's natural selection at work. I wouldn't worry about it, but there is good advice already. I would also worry about snails. 

Wow if theres ever a spoke too soon moment this is it. A couple hours after posting that I heard my skimmer making noise. Took it a part and sure enough a clownfish got sucked in the pump. Looks like I will be making a cover for the intake after all....

If its any consolation this clown and I did not get a long. He was a regular perc but with the attitude of a maroon. He would not stop harassing and biting me to the point of frustration. Not sure if for him or I but karma.

Wil.....let me know with what cover design you come up with!  I was thinking about something like a piece of Tupperware with a hole large enough to fit around the skimmer intake.  Then drilling lots of 1/4 or 1/2" holes with a drill bit to allow water flow, but that should be sufficient enough to keep out any snails. 

Laura - I'll be around still.  Norfolk isn't that far away, and I'll probably be back up in the area once a month or so couch crashing.  I'll try to time it so that I still come to the meetings.  I know Norfolk/Richmond have their own little club, but I just don't see it topping WAMAS.

I made a cover for my return pump out of gutter guard. Just zip tie a couple pieces like you're making a cup, it should fit snugly around the intake and not let any fish near enough to get sucked in. Could you do something like this for the intake on your skimmer?

Bad pic but this is the jist of it:
SegbDS2l.png

Tricia,

First, sorry to hear that you're leaving the DC area.  To whom will I ever be able to give a free Nats ticket to on short notice?    

I also don't know the size and organization of the marine aquarium society of Norfolk but I think it will be much smaller than WAMAS.  They will appreciate your input.

I'd be happy to house your corals, but will give them all back to you when you are ready to take them back.  If by then the sun has grown too big for your tank you can take cuttings.  I'm sure you will get more volunteers for your corals.

Im not sure of the group in norfolk but several of the folks there are on richmond reefers also. It may just provide other stuff to read. No where near the volume this group offers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Be careful in Norfolk area.  Get a good realtor and check the neighborhood during work hours and at night.  I lived there for 7 years and there are some really sketchy places that look fine during the day.... my favorite was this nice neighborhood we were looking in when a large black truck with tinted windows rolls up... the guy polity informs me to not be in his neighborhood when he comes back... Just be careful and best of luck.  Iam not sure about reef clubs down there.  So many people are in the service and leave for almost a year at a time which makes having a tank hard.  

(edited)

Be careful in Norfolk area.  Get a good realtor and check the neighborhood during work hours and at night.  I lived there for 7 years and there are some really sketchy places that look fine during the day.... my favorite was this nice neighborhood we were looking in when a large black truck with tinted windows rolls up... the guy polity informs me to not be in his neighborhood when he comes back... Just be careful and best of luck.  Iam not sure about reef clubs down there.  So many people are in the service and leave for almost a year at a time which makes having a tank hard.  

Wow.  His neighborhood, huh?  Which one was that so I can avoid it?  I'm planning on being in Norfolk for 2-5 years depending on the job and job openings in Florida.  The entire HQ command for MSC is moving to Norfolk, so DOD is paying a lot of benefits I don't normally get as a civillian, including 5% of the purchase price of a house.  So I'm definitely taking advantage and buying.  I'm looking at Ghent neighborhood, since it's supposed to be pedestrian friendly, full of young professionals, and easy to find renters long-term.  I'm also looking in Ocean View, which is one of those neighborhoods that I heard can be questionable, but they're trying to build it up.  There are a few nice bay-front condos that I just love!  I've got up to a year to use the entitlement, so I don't have to buy right away.  We're heading down this week to go check them out and see if we want to make an immediate offer on one or rent for 6 months and wait for the right place.  Of course, that makes knowing what is happening with the tank a little hard. 

Tricia,

First, sorry to hear that you're leaving the DC area.  To whom will I ever be able to give a free Nats ticket to on short notice?    

I also don't know the size and organization of the marine aquarium society of Norfolk but I think it will be much smaller than WAMAS.  They will appreciate your input.

I'd be happy to house your corals, but will give them all back to you when you are ready to take them back.  If by then the sun has grown too big for your tank you can take cuttings.  I'm sure you will get more volunteers for your corals.

Dave

I will take you up on that for my favorites!  I'll PM you!  THANKS!!!!

Edited by truetricia2

Best of luck to you and your reefing! Don't be a stranger now. Used to keep my boat down there loved it!

I will definitely still be coming back to DC, and I'll try to make a few meetings a year.  WAMAS is too great of a club not to!

I would stay out of norfolk all together.  Neighborhoods have changed alot during the recession.  Chesapeake is/was nice when I lived there.  Stay away from Portsmouth. Ghent is near the college.  They have been trying for 15 years to make it nice because of that but its not working.  Virginia beach is nice as you go out near pungo (gets alittle country out there).  Just get a good realtor which basically means they are willing to break the law and tell you where you will be murdered.  

I would stay out of norfolk all together.  Neighborhoods have changed alot during the recession.  Chesapeake is/was nice when I lived there.  Stay away from Portsmouth. Ghent is near the college.  They have been trying for 15 years to make it nice because of that but its not working.  Virginia beach is nice as you go out near pungo (gets alittle country out there).  Just get a good realtor which basically means they are willing to break the law and tell you where you will be murdered.  

Take a look at the schools in the area, even if you're not planning on having kids. It goes without saying, but better(safer) schools are almost always where the parents are paying a premium to live. If you decided to rent in a few years, it could be important the people looking to rent.  I just bought/sold here in NOVA for no other reason than the schools as my kid was getting ready to start elementary school. 

http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/virginia-beach/va-beach-city-public-schools/

• 4 weeks later...

Question:  How long can I store used salt water?

With moving, I'd like to try to save some of my salt water so I'm not completely making up new water when I get down to Norfolk.  Can I store it for up to a month or two in sealed HD buckets?  Or at that point, should I just suck it up and make it all new?