Vortech qd vs Gyre?

AlanM

Anyone owned both and have opinions?

Gyre xf150 with icecap interface costs more then mp40qd. Have they worked out the initial issues with Gyre?

It took ecotech many years to lower there price a little and gyre less then a year. That got me wondering myself...

I think it comes down to two things ( I have both in my main tank):

aesthetics -

Gyre 

bigger

has a cord

does a wider "wave"

Vortech-

smaller footprint

no cord

less parts

customer service is known to be very good (and close to DC).

I actually have one of each on my 90G right now. I would only recommend the Gyre if you design your tank around it, work for me since half my tank has a large flat piece of rock that is angled so that the Gyre blows right across it and all of my SPS there. On the other side of my tank the rock work is not as friendly so I have my MP40. Working well for me so far but I also went through two complete sets of blades for the Gyre until I built my cover to keep my small snails out, having to spend $35 on new blades after spending $300 on the pump did not make me terribly happy.

The gyre 150s are supposed to come out with heavier four blade version. Went with two Jaebo RW15s for a 120g but I would really like to swap one out for a gyre 150 when/if they change production models. I really admire the new Vortechs and could see myself getting one, but they weren't out when I went for the RW15s, but cost probably would have swayed me to two Jaebo's anyway.

OK.  Thanks for the input.  If they come out with the rugged blades for the xf150 I think I would go with two of those and the icecap control boxes.  I'm interested in the MP40qd's, but if I'm not going to commit to the Ecotech infrastructure then the controller isn't as valuable to me because I'd have to get another module to talk to it.  

I use gyre 130 and my old complain with it is: it doesn't leave any spot for a weaker flow.

its good in one sense that it doesn't leave dead spots but at same time placing corals which require low water flow gets tricky.

Edited by WishNewFish

I use gyre 130 and my old complain with it is: it doesn't leave any spot for a weaker flow.

its good in one sense that it doesn't leave dead spots but at same time placing corals with require low water flow gets tricky.

Stick lover dream

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am using ecotech pumps right now and will switch to tunze pumps so I can point them to the direction i wanted. plus, i can save some electric power for the winter season.

I have both, GYRE is awesome as long as it doesn't break for whatever reason... so far I have replaced the blades bushings controller and a motor. The Ecotech (old version) has never had any part replaced, just typical mantiance.

OK.  I would not buy a Gyre XF150 before they release the Rugged blades for it, which should be any day now.  

I will be setting up a 180 either with the front and one side viewable and built in to the wall or the traditional way on a stand out in front of the wall with three sides viewable.  In the first case I'd put the synergy internal overflow on the top of one short end and maybe put two MP40qd's or one gyre under it.  I'm torn about putting something at the opposite end because after seeing Copps talk I'm inspired to try to hide the visible powerheads and overflow kind of behind one end of the wall.  

If I set it up on a regular stand then I'd probably put an MP40 at each end or a gyre at each end and just get used to looking at powerheads and cords.