Chemical in Plastic Bags Lethal to Aquarium Fish

tom39

I just received the latest issue of AMAZONAS newsletter If you have a few minutes this article is an interesting read. Not sure that I would take it for gospel and would want to see additional studies conducted to reaffirm its findings. But it is certainly good food for thought.

My personal opinion is that the use of plastics and plastic bags is out of control. And I think that this article is just one of many examples that help us see that we need to be more self aware of the impacts that we are placing on our planet.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/07/09/chemical-in-plastic-bags-threatens-marine-conservation-and-human-health/?utm_content=tg2891%40gmail.com&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=the%20worrisome%20findings%20of%20the%20study&utm_campaign=Toxic%20Fish%20Bags%2c%20Cory%20Cat%20Breeding%20and%20Aquascaping%20Season%20is%20Here%21content

(edited)

My personal opinion is that the use of plastics and plastic bags is out of control. And I think that this article is just one of many examples that help us see that we need to be more self aware of the impacts that we are placing on our planet.

What would you propose people use to transport livestock? I don't think glass is a viable alternative in most cases.

Oh, this is a big reminder to put away tomorrow's FFE goodies away immediately when you walk in your front door! Bring a cooler to FFE and use your car AC on the way home so those plastic bags don;t get warm and release  chemicals faster due to heat.  

Edited by treesprite

I don't propose anything except to be more aware of some of the negative impacts imposed on the environment. The reason for the post was to share something I thought others may enjoy.

I was not trying to start an argument or place blame on anyone and I apologize if I struck a nerve with you or anyone else; I assure you that that was not my intent.

May you have a nice day

Plastic grocery bags were just outlawed in Hawaii. I used to live out there and I agree with it. There is nothing more disgusting than swimming on a beautiful reef like Hanauma Bay and then watching a piece of garbage float by. 

Plastic grocery bags were just outlawed in Hawaii. I used to live out there and I agree with it. There is nothing more disgusting than swimming on a beautiful reef like Hanauma Bay and then watching a piece of garbage float by. 

I was excited about this ban but then I read this article as to how businesses are exploiting the loopholes. I hope lawmakers do something to fix the loopholes.

I don't propose anything except to be more aware of some of the negative impacts imposed on the environment. The reason for the post was to share something I thought others may enjoy.

I was not trying to start an argument or place blame on anyone and I apologize if I struck a nerve with you or anyone else; I assure you that that was not my intent.

May you have a nice day

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like a smart alec argument, just wondering what practical thing there is to use instead. I'm willing to deal with some impracticality, but avoiding plastic in all cases is impossible. If others would agree to return frag containers, I would use glass for frags.

It's not all plastic bags. Just some that contain nonylphenol if I read the article right.

In any event it's a good reminder for us to watch our carbon footprint.

Thanks for the article

After reading this post initially, I was forced to do a search. I could not find adequate information on the internet to know which plastic bags would be the least risky. If you have the information, please share it.

I just wonder what is the other alternative to plastic. does any one have a good alternative to it?

Glass. I would  use a glass container to transport a frag to someone, if I had a guarantee of it being returned promptly. The problem is that most people don't have the time to make a trip just to return a container. On the other hand, we could all use the same type of container, then it would just be trading off so no one would be losing anything... the person just gives you an empty one when you hand over the one containing the item.

Glass. I would  use a glass container to transport a frag to someone, if I had a guarantee of it being returned promptly. The problem is that most people don't have the time to make a trip just to return a container. On the other hand, we could all use the same type of container, then it would just be trading off so no one would be losing anything... the person just gives you an empty one when you hand over the one containing the item.

You could always just bring your own container too. No need for exchange if you bring your own container. It already happens with large colonies and buckets most of the time.

Container and buckets are plastic too. glass is too costly, heavy, and easy to break.

The cost is not an issue if you bring your own container when picking up livestock. A good Pyrex bowl is  harder to break than a plastic bag. As far as weight, unless you are talking about a very huge container, should not be an issue unless you don't have transportation other than your feet.

Thanks for posting this. It's interesting and has impact.

From the article:

"How did this chemical get into the plastic bags? Nonylphenol is used in the manufacturing of plastic bags, as well as in the “slip agent” that coats plastic bags that allows the plastic bag to be easily opened. "

The idea that some varieties of bags might be "coated" while others may not makes me wonder how this correlates to the concentrations of nonylphenol found in the incubated saltwater samples. If the correlation is high, one short-term solution in the pet- / aquarium-industry is to purchase bags that are not coated with the offending slip agent. However, the broader question of whether or not this agent should be allowed still needs to be addressed.

(edited)

Part 2 of the article came out the other day and like Origami had proposed. One of the suggestion of the researchers interviewed is that pet distributors and pet stores require testing to determine bag quality and chemical leaching. 

Like the first article, I found the second article to be good food for thought. Personally, I found that it helped invoke my awareness and desire to find ways to lessen my impact in an attempt to do my part to insure the longevity of the hobby for generations to come. 

I hope that you find it informative, here is the link to the second article if anyone has an interest:

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/07/17/delving-into-fish-shipping-bag-toxic-plastic-concerns/?utm_content=tg2891%40gmail.com&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Behind%20the%20headlines%3A%20tracking%20the%20toxins%20leaching%20from%20supposedly%20safe%20plastics%20into%20our%20aquariums&utm_campaign=The%20Perils%20of%20Plastics%3A%20Deadly%20Aquarium%20Bags%20Part%20IIcontent

There was also another article on plastics that I found interesting, maybe you will to:

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?ReeftoRainforestMedi/f186e4f3a6/56a149e454/8c5cf8e88a/utm_content=tg2891%40gmail.com&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Discover%20Knop%26%2339%3Bs%20simple%20solution%20for%20avoiding%20these%20issues%2E&utm_campaign=The%20Perils%20of%20Plastics%3A%20Deadly%20Aquarium%20Bags%20Part%20II

Edited by tom39

• 2 weeks later...

Ill go ahead and answer everyone's plastic problem. There's a scientist in Japan I believe who made this machine that you insert plastics into, they get heated and melted and the end product is oil. The oil can be used for all types of petroleum and burns alot cleaner. Take some time and look it up, there is a video, it's very interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ill go ahead and answer everyone's plastic problem. There's a scientist in Japan I believe who made this machine that you insert plastics into, they get heated and melted and the end product is oil. The oil can be used for all types of petroleum and burns alot cleaner. Take some time and look it up, there is a video, it's very interesting.

Cool. I wonder, though, what kind and volume of emissions are produced by the conversion process. 

http://news.illinois.edu/news/14/0212bags_oil_brajendrakumarsharma.html

See that I'm not sure as to what the exact biproduct is from the melt down part other than the good stuff.

when I got my first fresh water fish decades ago it came in a paper chinese food style container with a handle. Now I take a small plastic bucket the aquarium salt comes in.

when I got my first fresh water fish decades ago it came in a paper chinese food style container with a handle. Now I take a small plastic bucket the aquarium salt comes in.

Wow. I'd forgotten about those containers. But, yes, I do remember them. That and slate-bottomed, chrome trimmed aquariums.