Don't let an impulse buy or gift fish into your tank

zygote2k

One of the service clients with a 375 and about $3k worth of large fish just lost them all after his GF bought a few pretty damsels from Petco that were infected with ick or velvet.

She didn't know what to look for when buying fish and he didn't see them until they were in the tank.

QT isn't an option here, although he has access to a QT facility, but the GF does not.

Very good advise. Having just gotten back into the hobby I am tempted by some of the fish I see but have been resisting temptation and only purchasing fish that have been through a proper quarantine. I dip the coral I buy from other sources. I have not been as careful with some of my invert purchases. I have been told that the chances for ich on an invert are very low.

A droplet of tank water from the wrong tank can cause an ich breakout in yours. Recall the parasite has a free swimming stage.

The company ORA keeps their QT in a separate building.

That is a scary thought.  It seems that any purchase or import from a system that does not practice good quarantine protocols is like playing Russian Roulette with your tank.

Yikes.  On the plus side he now has a powerful get-out-of-the-doghouse card to be used for some pretty bad behavior in the future should he ever need it.  "Remember that time you killed all my fish?"

Yikes.  On the plus side he now has a powerful get-out-of-the-doghouse card to be used for some pretty bad behavior in the future should he ever need it.  "Remember that time you killed all my fish?"

Huh. We went different ways on that. I was thinking she probably wasn't in the picture anymore.

I'm sure she probably feels awful, I don't know what I would do.

rob, tried sending you a PM but you are not receiving messages. shoot me a PM or email when you get a chance, por favor.

Members have a limit of 125 stored messages; bulletin board members get 50. Rob may be bumping up against that limit.

One of the service clients with a 375 and about $3k worth of large fish just lost them all after his GF bought a few pretty damsels from Petco that were infected with ick or velvet.

She didn't know what to look for when buying fish and he didn't see them until they were in the tank.

QT isn't an option here, although he has access to a QT facility, but the GF does not.

It is hard to prevent this to happen. It is time to teach GF a lesson. hahaha

I don't think it's hard to prevent from happening. Everybody in my household knows enough to just enjoy it, unless I specifically request a task to be performed. Because my tank is open (sump and tank) everybody knows to be cautious with cleaning chemicals on the floor or around the kitchen. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to know that my wife would never put anything in my tank without asking. She understands when you reef with somebody, you reef with every other person that person has ever reefed with.

+1