Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

Goby is still hanging in there and looking pretty good today (didnt want to eat). He paired up with the tiger pistol and they're reworking that corner (I'll snag some pics later). Jawfish is eating right out of the feeding syringe now (first time it has done that). Assessor didnt come out today but the chalk bass still isnt back in its old home so I assume the assessor is still in there (assessor booted the bass out when the anthias spooked him). No sign of the YWG today but I've only caught a glimpse of him two or three times since he came home with us (had one disappear in our tank in AZ for two years only to pop out like nothing happened when the tank was broke down for a move). Anemone has climbed higher up on the rock where the duncan was so I had to relocate the duncan (had one destroy a BTA a few years back). Raised the intensity on the lights a bit and slightly shifted the spectrum (previously 32% on both channels but now 40% actinic and 30% daylight maxes on a 12 hour parabola).

There is quite a bit of green algae growing on the far left side of the tank in the lower light areas; I suppose it is time to find a critter to munch on that. We're still waiting on the back ordered cardinal to arrive. Once it has settled in we'll finish off the fish list with a tang (probably Tomini but we'll see). Plan from there is to add some more to the clean up crew along with some cleaner shrimp and possibly some emerald crabs. If there is no revolt after the tang, I may replace the clown that died. If I dont think the clown is going to work out because of the load/space, I'll go with a couple anemone crabs or shrimp instead.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh, that time again. I've been lazy and went three weeks this time. I need to build a mixing station here pretty soon. At 20g it isnt bad but if/when I step up to a bigger tank this just isnt going to work.

water_zps0z9h9nrt.jpg

Using the Hanna ULR:

Fresh mixed RC with RODI: .015ppm

Aquarium after three weeks: .01 first test .0 second test (last weekend it was .062 I believe)

KH: ~7

If I hadnt been lazy last weekend it probably wouldnt have dropped below 8. Nice to see it actually start to come down though (time for some two part).

Installed the other Jebao PP8 a bit ago and I'm sure I like them synced up. The patterns are identical and occur at the same time between both pumps. The resulting flow is one that kind of pushes down from where the current meets in the water vice a left to right pulse/flow. The behavior is the same regardless of what mode they're placed in. It is nice to be able to control modes/speeds from a single controller but that is something I had the Reef Angel doing before anywas. I guess to get what I want, I'll just have to order the control cables and dimming expansion and scrap the Jebao controller all together.

This little guy is quickly becoming my favorite fish of all time. It has so much character! Always twists its little head observing you and everything else that is going on. It is just like a pug only in the water; I was cracking up the whole time.  Was shy at first but is really inquisitive now and wants to see what is happening. Must have for any aquarium!

jaw_zpsmfozbztn.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Super cute! Love jawfish... Everything is looking great

Yea, he/she is awesome! Once I get a larger tank I'll add a couple. I love having little things pop out all over the place. Speaking of which, the yellow assessor just popped out. I heard a snap from the pistol (not unusual, it is always up to something down there) and out came the assessor. It made a few circles and went right back in. Apparently, he keeps it real...

When we bought the angel, it dwarfed the anthias. Fast forward roughly three months and she has turned into a bruiser. Colored up fantastic and is growing like a weed. Very mellow mannered but I swear she is part grouper.

anthias_zpsudxvnuwv.jpg

The pipe organ that was purchased from Joshifer is opening up nicely (guess it didnt get the memo about being bed time) too.

pipe_zpsgpk5oti9.jpg

It has been about 16 hours since the water change was performed and I wanted to get post WC results. While performing the test, I recognized that I hadnt been performing the test correctly. After testing today (properly), the results were .003ppm. My error was not pressing and holding the button on the Hanna instrument to start the three minute timer (if you just press the button it will spit out a result in a few seconds). Hopefully I remember this in a couple weeks during the next water change so I can get an accurate measure of everything.

After a few days of testing the PAR38 over the refugium, I've come to the conclusion that it is doing more harm than good. The light appears to be burning the caulerpa in a few spots, presumably due to the relatively short distance between the two.  I dont have enough headroom in the stand to effectively increase this distance so I'll continue on with the 6500k CFLs (probably time to replace these actually). I may be able to find some lower intensity LEDs in the same range.

20160924_120026-1_zpsuhbokjct.jpg

An hour before lights out so everyone is packing up for the night but it is one of the only times there arent a million reflections in the room so I grabbed a FTS.

20160924_205912_zpsshkorlmw.jpg