Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

They're expensive lil suckers for sure. Hated forking out so much money for it when ball valves were dirt cheap but I went ahead and did it since it will be on the main line of the Beananimal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

No updates :( I'm traveling pretty much non-stop right now for work and we are planning to move in January so there isnt much point in filling it right now. 

• 5 months later...

We are moving in two weeks and I cant wait! The move itself will be a pain but we're gaining 1600sq' and I'll be able to set everything up shortly after moving in. This is the longest I've gone without a tank in 20 years! 

• 5 months later...

It's been a long hiatus but I'm finally getting the man-cave setup the way I want and was able to make some room for the 75g. 

Pic of the basic layout of the room

4_zpsdpraxruz.jpg

Had to repaint the back of the tank when we moved (stuck to the bulkheads) but everything else is still the same otherwise

3.2_zpsbzkaftlc.jpg

Hopefully I make a lot more progress tonight and can test everything tomorrow. 

Not ideal for flow but I'm a symmetrical kind of guys and there should still be more than enough flow for a refugium.

7_zpskodgdwi9.jpg

Tight fit in the overflow, hopefully this works out alright

6_zps1hk2h9dq.jpg

I finished up the plumbing and had enough time for leak test and tune. 

The sump is just about maxed at capacity after the return lines finish their back siphon; I'll probably add some directors up there and raise the break line a bit to allow for more overhead in case the sump gets over filled while I'm away. 

9.1_zpsl4zwbgtq.jpg

The overflow works fantastic, flushes, and self tunes in less than a minute. On the down side, the 3/4" line is too small to out flow the Waveline DC 6000 at full bore but it is still flowing a lot of water.

9.3_zpsmut4yemh.jpg

Full siphon complete and only the occasional bubble from the left "open channel." 

9.4_zps7h2npkoz.jpg

Water level in tank is perfect! Got lucky here when I drilled as I had no idea where exactly it was going to end up. 

9.2_zps3jekly9i.jpg

I need to raise the water level in the overflow about 1/2" to get rid of the cascading water sound but once I do that, it will be silent! So impressed with how well this thing actually works.

9_zpsaxobagvy.jpg

Not a weir fan but the water level here is pretty good and should let crap flow through. 

9.5_zpsqy7dgksl.jpg

I'll let it run until tomorrow afternoon, drain it, clean it, and move it into position for rockscape and refill :)

That Ghost Overflow looks great!  I need to get mine plumbed and pumping!  Glad you got yours quiet.

Is your GO from the Ebay dude ? In addition a check valve in the return line would keep more water in the display upon shut down. DC6000 running full bore ? Why. Water flow in the display is where you want lots of flow. Just my .02. Looking good Bro

Is your GO from the Ebay dude ? In addition a check valve in the return line would keep more water in the display upon shut down. DC6000 running full bore ? Why. Water flow in the display is where you want lots of flow. Just my .02. Looking good Bro

Modular marine overflow (from eBay)

Welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79b4da6a4df84820eb2413e0388ba0a2.jpg

Yes I never left !!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Modular marine overflow (from eBay)

Welcome back.

I couldnt remember who but it was from ebay. You had one done similar but with the 1" fittings, right? Wish I would have gone that route too but no big deal. 

DC, it was a matter of principal for it to keep up :) I still have an old Jabeo for inside the display that I'll get replaced one of these days. The DC6000 is the only thing making much noise right now, hopefully that subsides a bit but it isnt bad. 

79b4da6a4df84820eb2413e0388ba0a2.jpg

Yes I never left !!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I know clown, I was talking to weazle

(edited)

What kind of rock you using?

Pretty sure it was Pukani but I ordered the stuff about a year ago so who knows LOL. 

Edit: just looked up the order on the website, it is this stuff. 

Edited by madweazl

Pretty sure it was Pukani but I ordered the stuff about a year ago so who knows LOL. 

Edit: just looked up the order on the website, it is this stuff. 

Nice.  I was asking because it looks nice and porous, so was curious what it was.

(edited)

Wish the edit feature would stick around longer. 

clear1_zpsecbeij3g.jpg

Yea Alan, very porous. You get a lot of rock for the money and they sent some really nice pieces. I did a 50lb box and I think 20lb after that. Great selection of stuff to work with and it locks together like legos usually. 

Edit: double checked BRS and it is 65lb total

Edited by madweazl

Are you going to put extension tubes on those returns? If not salt creep like a mother.

Are you going to put extension tubes on those returns? If not salt creep like a mother.

Have to remove the tubes to get the pre-filter out. Would be way to noisy without the tubes. 

Raised the intake tubes in the overflow about 5/8" and it didnt make much difference in sound level back there. I can hear it over the floor fan I have blowing in the room on low and it certainly isnt annoying but now it's a matter of principal. I might be able to get another half inch but that will be about it. 

Next on the list will be a few pieces of live rock for some interesting hitchhikers and a clown of some sorts to complete the cycle. I still need to address my lighting situation as well; be it with another 24" Photon, a 48" Photon, or something new altogether. Probably end up switching to a different heater because the 150w Jaegers are just too darn long (higher wattage than I want as well). 

Since I pushed the sump all the way to the right of the stand to make the return lines as vertical as possible, it freed up a lot of space to use for something like an ATO. Not sure what I'll do over there yet. 

open_zpss2l39dpj.jpg

I think the noise in the overflow is really water spilling off the ends of the bulkheads.  Could you make some kind of a ramp out of PVC pipe or soft tubing cut lengthwise that would let the water run down gently to the level in the external overflow box instead of just crashing down off the ends of the bulkheads?  

Anything to avoid having a spillway back there might help, and you wouldn't have to raise the water level.

I think the noise in the overflow is really water spilling off the ends of the bulkheads.  Could you make some kind of a ramp out of PVC pipe or soft tubing cut lengthwise that would let the water run down gently to the level in the external overflow box instead of just crashing down off the ends of the bulkheads?  

Anything to avoid having a spillway back there might help, and you wouldn't have to raise the water level.

Water level in the overflow box covers just over half of the bulkhead so it doesnt fall into the box. I dont think there is any way to silence it unless they're submerged but then you start to run yourself out of room if things go south. I raised the water level about 3/4" the other day but I dont know if it's worth going another 3/4" or not. I might give it a shot this weekend  but it would bring the water level between the open channel and emergency channel pretty close (not really a big deal but not much room to balance out either).