Who has a butterfly in their reef??

GOSKN5

Anyone keep any bflies in their reef tank? Looking for success with softies/anenome etc... or horror stories hahaha... if so list the species etc... thanks

I have a copperband and a pyramid. Only time I've had sucess with a "with caution" reef compatible fish are those 2. Makes me want to try a juvie blue face angel, but with my luck...

Yes. My copperband came from quantum and was touch and go for the 1st 2 weeks. Now eats from my hand, but grazes the rocks all day. I saw it eat mysis in store, but it likes the LRS stuff.

Pyramid comes from ERC, qt'd, and eating prepared food. I plan on ordering another two for a trio!

I've had success or sold to customers who have had 6+ months success with the following: c.declivis, c.burgessi, h.polylepis, h.zoster, f.flavissimus, f.longirostris, c.rostratus, & c.muelleri.

some of the latter will eat benthic worms in a reef but most reefers appreciate the fish specimen more than their tube worms.

butterflies really add an interesting aesthetic and behavior to a reef that I'm sure you'll really appreciate. if you have any more specific questions about a particular species and my experience with them, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help.

g'luck!

Yes. My copperband came from quantum and was touch and go for the 1st 2 weeks. Now eats from my hand, but grazes the rocks all day. I saw it eat mysis in store, but it likes the LRS stuff.

Pyramid comes from ERC, qt'd, and eating prepared food. I plan on ordering another two for a trio!

Bla Bla Bla !!! Copperband here. Had a Raccoon he ate the Apts then started on my prized zoas . 

Been keeping copperbands for 40 years, never had a problem with them.  Long nose butterflies are exactly the same.  I collect raccoon butterflies and they are also no problem.  As a matter of fact, I never had a problem with any fish killing a coral.

IMG_2460_zps4023ebc3.jpg

So how did it go with getting these CBB to eat? I'm only hesitant because of getting them to eat.... I feed LRS 3 times a week and NLS the rest...

Ahh nm for some reason I saw angel some where and just realiZed it was a thread on butterflies when reading back through on safari. Darn tap a talk fooled me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I keep copperbands 5 or 6 years.  They should live ten but they seem to be accident prone.   Some of them jumped out but they are one of my favorite fish.

2014-10-20125221_zps6b0cf4d6.jpg