Covering my stand

YHSublime

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trimmed the edges with veneer that you iron on, then sanded the edge slightly.  Kept it smooth.

+1 that is what we do for any exposed edges on vertical pieces. Or add a piece of moulding if it is a horizontal piece like a shelf.

put some thought into the size of the doors you make, how you will stack them when working on the tank....where they go etc etc etc.....

i like the vinyl covering though, you could get the carbon fiber look alike stuff and put it on some ply...hey i know someone that has a piece of plywood for free :rolleyes:

I already have though about it! I want 4 pieces, two in the front, one for either side! I like the vinyl cover on wood as well. I wonder how hard it was to keep clean?

I built cabinet fronts and raised-panel doors for my last one. I'll probably do shaker panels or raised panel for the one I'm working on right now.

I like the shaker panels, but I'm not sure if that look would fit in with our place.

Gray film and rivet the magnets on maybe? Would look very industrial.

I like the dark grey, and the idea of the magnets being riveted is cool. I think it would match the metal stand, brick wall sort of thing we have going on.

Thank you so much for posting this!  You just gave me the needed component list, and idea, to complete my stand doors :)

Isaac, go with the beads mentioned above.... I mean, have you ever seen a stand using beads as a door?  Functional and stylish  :laugh:

You're welcome, lots of great ideas, I'm glad Mike shared pictures, that's pretty brilliant. Anybody else have pictures of stand covers? Lots of talk....

As for the beads man, that's too far out!

I always thought doing a stone-covered stand would be cool. Not quite sure about the mechanics of that. I think it also depends on your living room. I have a lot of wood in my living room, so I wouldn't like the acrylic look. But if you have a more modern decor, the acrylic would be great.

Perhaps you should ask the wife...

Stone is out of the question, even the veneer would be far too weighted for me to want to deal with. I'm going for form following function. I think a smoked acrylic would look fine with the wood, however, I think the 3M on the wood looks like a nice finish. I wouldn't mind doing a faux nice wood cover, but at the end of the day, I just want something that looks sleek, that I can pop right off.

The wife wants to get something built. I think that's a great idea, except I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something that I can do that I think she will be pleasantly surprised with. At the end of the day, I have to plan to get everything cut, or make sure I setup to have everything ready to cut somewhere other than my condo, just needs planning. Now that she's seen me do floors, electric, plum

I helped a friend make a wood covering. We just stuck the magnets to screws already in the stand, then spread some thick epoxy on the magnets and pressed the wood panels against them. Held in place for 2 minutes, then done.

At the end of the day, this is pretty much what I'm going to do, except I like the idea of sticking the magnets into the wood, and covering the wood with the 3M.

Dude, you will have no problem moving a wood cover. If you can't pull off a 3/4" piece of plywood I need to get you into the gym.  My wife can move the 3/4" panels I made for my stand build, and they are bigger than what you have here.  Build it out of wood and get er done :)

Yeah yeah, I know, but like Evan mentioned, when you build it, you want to be sure you have a place to put a 6' x almost 4' piece of wood. I want to do 2 sections on the front. It will cause an unwanted rivet down the middle, but it will be easier.

Yea, my front panel was quite cumbersome.  Honestly, I would make the front panel 2 pieces if I had to do it again.

This

A lot of this will depend on what kind of finish you want on the stand, color, how much time, and how many $'s you are willing to invest in it.

I forgot to mention a tie dye sheet...it could match your orange pants! :laugh:

Haha, that is true, time and money are a big factor. I wouldn't mind a nice looking stained wood cover, but that 3M is looking fresh, and seems to be well within my realm of possibility.

Also, if you are going to wrap it you want hardwood plywood.  It's completely smooth.  The standard plywood will show imperfections through the vinyl wrap. 

Heard.

Look for Luan Plywood, we use it for built in shelves and bookcases. You will need to trim the edges with something, like all plywood.

Heard.

I trimmed the edges with veneer that you iron on, then sanded the edge slightly.  Kept it smooth.

Can you tell me more about this?

Keep it all metal. Float the panels so they can slide to either side or be removed if necessary.

Sheet metal?

I should mention that I will be in and out of the stand regularly. I've grown accustomed to having my sump always easily accessible, and I think that I've been spoiled in this regard. I will thrive when I can have a fish room!

Wrap it in tile.  Hand crafted mosaic like Robie did http://wamas.org/totm_previous.php?prev=totm-2008-10 

I still think I prefer the sleek smooth finish, but you can tell he put a lot of work into that!

How about 3" shag carpeting?

That would be groovy, and would match the beads, but it sounds kind of messy. 

Thank you!

Maybe Chia?

Now that would be neat! 

You might want to check at Ikea and see if they have any modern cabinet doors that might work with your dimensions. You might find something in the entertainment center section. For instance: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80220418/#/60220438

Also, if you like stainless steel then you could look at premade dishwasher covers that are sold for diy replacement... only that would probably mean skinning 3 front wood panels instead of two just because of the likely dimensions mismatch.

Edited by matt

Pricey, but:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-4-ft-x-8-ft-Waves-Vertical-Decorative-Wall-Panel-in-Gloss-White-S74-00/203867131

and you can choose a slick color. Or just look up PVC backsplash panel on the HD website.

Cool, thanks for this!

• 4 weeks later...

Also, if you are going to wrap it you want hardwood plywood.  It's completely smooth.  The standard plywood will show imperfections through the vinyl wrap. 

Where did you find your hardwood plywood, Home Depot? Every time I go in there there are always giant sheets of plywood, and I can never tell what I need, or what I do like is usually very freaking expensive. 

I'm planning on doing 4 panels, two in the front, two on the sides. I'm going to go this Matte Black. It looks like one roll will cover it. Did you order any of the applicators, like the squeege? I've not worked with this material before, but you mentioned you just ironed it on? 

Use Lauan plywood or Oak plywood for a smooth finish.

Home Depot, Lowes,Smoot lumber. Get them to cut them to the right size on their saws before you leave will make it easier to get home and nice clean cuts, or you don't pay for them!

Edited by DuffyGeos

Use Lauan plywood or Oak plywood for a smooth finish.

Home Depot, Lowes,Smoot lumber. Get them to cut them to the right size on their saws before you leave will make it easier to get home and nice clean cuts, or you don't pay for them!

Yeah, that's what I expected, I think I paid $80 for my last sheet, I could thought they were taking a %$#* when I saw the price. I think the nature of this job will require 2 sheets of ply. Yikes. Although, over the past decade, my home depot has gotten better about their cuts, if you can find somebody, but this is not the forum for that long discussion. 

Sheets of plywood break the bank, Good luck finding one for cheap.

That's what I was afraid of. I've been down the road of expensive ply before. If it looks nice, the price matches. 

I paid $50/sheet. Used Oak as mentioned above by Duffy:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_59298-99899-59298_0__?productId=3658430&Ntt=hardwood+plywood&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dhardwood%2Bplywood&facetInfo=

It's the vinyl wrap I spent even more on...

Huh? The wrap looks cheap in cost...