Covering my stand

YHSublime

So I started batting around ideas about how I'm going to trim my stand, and what materials I plan to use. Similar to a dog that chases after a rabbit or a cat, I have no clue what to do with it now that I've caught it. 

I want to use magnets (which is why I went with a metal stand) and I'm debating material and function. 

I am stuck on the idea of getting smoked acrylic cut to size that I can just plop on the two sides and the front, but I'd like to get off that idea and see what others think, and have done. Any pictures? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stained wood, mirrors, drapes, Azek composite then paint it, brick paneling, some of that left over flooring, sod (seeing if you are paying attention), bamboo mats, cork, stainless steel, corten steel (hard to move), cardboard (easy to replace and you can draw cartoons on it), cardboard covered in newspaper, faux painted plywood (any style, color, or finish), bubble wrap, beads or ivy....that's all I got on such short notice.

I built cabinet fronts and raised-panel doors for my last one. I'll probably do shaker panels or raised panel for the one I'm working on right now.

Stained wood, mirrors, drapes, Azek composite then paint it, brick paneling, some of that left over flooring, sod (seeing if you are paying attention), bamboo mats, cork, stainless steel, corten steel (hard to move), cardboard (easy to replace and you can draw cartoons on it), cardboard covered in newspaper, faux painted plywood (any style, color, or finish), bubble wrap, beads or ivy....that's all I got on such short notice.

Zoysia sod? Thats good stuff there

Seriously, I like Mike's inset magnets. Acrylic sheet would be expensive, but I think Mike took wood and bonded a nice shiny vinyl film to it and then used the wood to hold the magnets and give structure. Much cheaper.

Gray film and rivet the magnets on maybe? Would look very industrial.

Seriously, I like Mike's inset magnets. Acrylic sheet would be expensive, but I think Mike took wood and bonded a nice shiny vinyl film to it and then used the wood to hold the magnets and give structure. Much cheaper.

Gray film and rivet the magnets on maybe? Would look very industrial.

Yea, I used a forstner bit:

(http://www.lowes.com/Search=forstner?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=forstner#!)

And the magnets are from:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=173

Vinyl from:

http://www.metrorestyling.com/

Edited by BowieReefer84

put some thought into the size of the doors you make, how you will stack them when working on the tank....where they go etc etc etc.....

there are alot of hinges you could use too, if you have a door that is small enough it could rotate around the side 270 degrees etc and then have the center removeable or on a slider to move to one side or the other (pocket door slider or drawer...i like the pocket door ones cause they are easy to take off the track

i like the vinyl covering though, you could get the carbon fiber look alike stuff and put it on some ply...hey i know someone that has a piece of plywood for free :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for posting this!  You just gave me the needed component list, and idea, to complete my stand doors :)

Isaac, go with the beads mentioned above.... I mean, have you ever seen a stand using beads as a door?  Functional and stylish  :laugh:

Edited by Jason Rhoads

Thank you so much for posting this!  You just gave me the needed component list, and idea, to complete my stand doors :)

Isaac, go with the beads mentioned above.... I mean, have you ever seen a stand using beads as a door?  Functional and stylish  :laugh:

Glad you approve :cool:

I think you should cover it in Skittles. Taste the Rainbow, see the Reef!

I always thought doing a stone-covered stand would be cool. Not quite sure about the mechanics of that. I think it also depends on your living room. I have a lot of wood in my living room, so I wouldn't like the acrylic look. But if you have a more modern decor, the acrylic would be great.

Perhaps you should ask the wife...

A leopard or zebra print stand?

Clown.

I like what mike posted, but I want something light enough that I can just pull it off and throw it back up again.

I think I could get away with leaving it open for a while, perhaps clean it up and get an aquabox sump...

I helped a friend make a wood covering. We just stuck the magnets to screws already in the stand, then spread some thick epoxy on the magnets and pressed the wood panels against them. Held in place for 2 minutes, then done.

What about this material?  Very very light and might not look too bad.  At $225 for a 10 pack they're cheaper than plywood.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-Black-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-10-Pack-COR4896-BK/205051024

That stuff will bend and you will have creases all over the place.

Clown.

I like what mike posted, but I want something light enough that I can just pull it off and throw it back up again.

I think I could get away with leaving it open for a while, perhaps clean it up and get an aquabox sump...

Dude, you will have no problem moving a wood cover. If you can't pull off a 3/4" piece of plywood I need to get you into the gym.  My wife can move the 3/4" panels I made for my stand build, and they are bigger than what you have here.  Build it out of wood and get er done :)

put some thought into the size of the doors you make, how you will stack them when working on the tank....where they go etc etc etc.....

there are alot of hinges you could use too, if you have a door that is small enough it could rotate around the side 270 degrees etc and then have the center removeable or on a slider to move to one side or the other (pocket door slider or drawer...i like the pocket door ones cause they are easy to take off the track

i like the vinyl covering though, you could get the carbon fiber look alike stuff and put it on some ply...hey i know someone that has a piece of plywood for free :rolleyes:

Yea, my front panel was quite cumbersome.  Honestly, I would make the front panel 2 pieces if I had to do it again.

A lot of this will depend on what kind of finish you want on the stand, color, how much time, and how many $'s you are willing to invest in it.

I forgot to mention a tie dye sheet...it could match your orange pants! :laugh:

Also, if you are going to wrap it you want hardwood plywood.  It's completely smooth.  The standard plywood will show imperfections through the vinyl wrap. 

Look for Luan Plywood, we use it for built in shelves and bookcases. You will need to trim the edges with something, like all plywood.