nevermind.

I missed this bud, whatsup? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed this bud, whatsup? 

I forget, but we texted about it lol. I think it was about your new tank.

So what's the latest on your tank?

The tank is kind of in purgatory right now. I got it all setup, revived dipped all my zoanthids, and got my rock work and everything the way I want it. I also drained about 25 gallons or RO/DI onto our hardwood floors, and warped a few of them, and got a call from maintenence saying it went down to underneath us with some damage. My wife isn't pleased, and neither is our leasing office, teetering on maybe not having a tank for the next few years...

I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance of how I'm sitting now.

I forget, but we texted about it lol. I think it was about your new tank.

All that time in the woods has gotten to your head. Welcome back to real life.

Is this a DSA ? U been holding out on us. Dont give up the tank . Just put the proper controls in place to prevent these things from happening. Tagging along.

Is this a DSA ? U been holding out on us. Dont give up the tank . Just put the proper controls in place to prevent these things from happening. Tagging along.

DSA 105. Proper controls = time, money, more time, more money, space. We will see, just letting it be for now.

sweet

Thanks, boss!

Nice carpet nem!!!!!

Thanks! This was Fazio's old carpet nem, it's been in the club for a long time from my understanding. Glad I didn't kill it! The 3 plats are actually from him as well from the breeding days, and the one small one is from MattieJ. It was becoming a pair with another one which I somehow managed to kill, so it's joined the Platinum Harem.

Tanks looking stellar!

Gracias!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you have an apex, right? Just get the floor water sensors for it.

Nope, sold it with hopes of going up to a full. I ended up dropping more on the setup than anticipated, so no Apex atm. That being said, got the lights up to 50% today, and all corals are open and loving it. Test frag of birds nest from Alan is doing great, so far so good on stock surviving.

• 2 weeks later...

my tanks in the space have always been an afterthought. This time it was something that I planned out from the very beginning.

The tank probably isn't ready for unveiling yet, but some pictures of getting it setup wouldn't hurt, I ran into some stumbling blocks along the way:

First I wanted to build the rock. This is the main piece, and it is drilled to accept frag plugs. However, I jumped the gun and didn't drill enough holes (I underestimated what I was going to keep, so I will be having a sale soon.)

DSC_0514_zpsrrdz3lx9.jpg

DSC_0509_zpsswelnm3m.jpg

It's hard to show the shapes and dimensions of it via photo, but hopefully the above pictures capture some of it.

Here is is planned out in the space:
DSC_0580_zpsu1hxe1pt.jpg

Planning out the stand:
DSC_0600_zpsve9hqlwf.jpg

I wasn't able to fit everything in or on the stand without some boards to rest on, so I went out and had to get some cheap plywood in a pinch. I primed it with drywall and plaster, and sanded it down and painted it for an industrial look. I know it looks smooth in the photos, but it's very "industrial" looking up close. You can only see the edges up top, so it doesn't matter much:
DSC_0602_zpsuxdhlpqy.jpg

Time to throw the sump in:
DSC_0604_zpstcr4rlwv.jpg

Drilled by yours truly and ready to go:
DSC_0609_zpsbnt6dahe.jpg

DSC_0612_zps9wgkg22j.jpg

I'll leave you with this view:
DSC_0642_zpsi7e7hnrj.jpg

Super clean and simple looking.  I love that approach.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce, I appreciate that.

One of my goals this go around was to make things as easy, simple, and clean as possible, and I'm glad it shows. MattieJay6 really sold me on the tank after he was getting ready to set up something identical (or close to it.) He was very helpful with the process, and helped me acquire some wicked nice clowns along the way. He knows his stuff big time, and I wish I was closer to him!

Marcos was super helpful with helping me out with plumbing last minute, and offering great advice along the way. I think my fish selection will stay at my Platinum Harem and my yellow tang. I will one day have a Blue Face, but I just wont risk it with the zoas I plan on growing.

The tank is going through its "ugly" phase right now, hair algae, and diatoms. My gauge is the carpet nem, which appears to be thriving, so if that is doing well, everything else should, presumably.

I know I will have to setup some reactors behind the sump, but I hope they will be out of the way, and easy enough to reach, that it wont be an eye sore. Any change to the plumbing might be a manifold off the return, and maybe an upgraded pump. I am still taking tips from those with great tanks, and observing best practice, so long as I can keep a beautiful reef in my living room, I will keep trying!

I was just snooping through to get a feel for your bulb setup. Great to see an update. I love the sump. Is this an all new build?

I was just snooping through to get a feel for your bulb setup. Great to see an update. I love the sump. Is this an all new build?

Thanks! The sump is the last Aquabox sump. It's larger than what I would have normally gone, but I have plans for the space in the future. This is a new build, 4' instead of 6', and a little shorter. I lost 75 gallons, but it makes a heck of a difference on a 4th floor.

Isaac this looks great! I'm loving the aquabox underneath. Can't wait to see more pics and details.

Very nice Isaac!!

Thank you, sir!

Isaac this looks great! I'm loving the aquabox underneath. Can't wait to see more pics and details.

Thanks! It's going to be really nice once I figure out how I'm going to use the space in the sump once I clear out all the rock.

Love the rock! And wow for the sump! Fits great, looks like a stellar build start, can't wait to see the unveiling pictures :)

Thanks, Kim! The rock is my favorite part as well, it will be super easy to move if I ever need to. The sump just squeezed down there, haha.

Everything is coated in diatomes right now, and I had a ballast go bad in the ATI, less than 2 months out of the box. Once I get the ballast replaced, all the lights working, and the diatomes outta' here, I'll do some up close shots and FTS, but there really isn't a lot to see at the moment.

Here is a teaser of some of the zoas opening up again and a generously donated frag from AlanM of rainbow birdsnest. Looks like I can handle basic SPS...

DSC_0664_zpsncrjn1xz.jpg

DSC_0676_zpsmclvb3mw.jpg

Looking good, well worth the wait. Tagging along. I just got hit with the you sold my tank bomb last night. Wife stated why do I have to look at that little tank. You sold my last one!!!! You know what that means :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  

Looking good, well worth the wait. Tagging along. I just got hit with the you sold my tank bomb last night. Wife stated why do I have to look at that little tank. You sold my last one!!!! You know what that means :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll sell you this one if you want to make it right with her. It will also make my wife happy, so I see a win/win.