Tang alternative for algae control

Sharkey18

I have 2 large tangs and 3 smaller tangs in my display tank. 

The yellow and blue are each about 5 inches across. The larger they get the more aggressive they are to the other fish and I am thinking about selling the large tangs and moving in a new direction. 

My concern is that the big tangs do a really great job of algae control. 

Suggestions on more peaceful fish that do an equally good job of keeping algae under control? 

I like rabbitfish, especially the two bar rabbitfish. Same family as the foxface but more of a magestic beauty imo. The tangs won't mess with them either.

all good suggestions, the foxfaces can get quite large as well though. we do a lot of s.fasciatus/algae blenny too for folks with algae control in mind.

She has a 250 gallon display. Not sure how much of a dent an algae Blenny will do on that. I have a 2 bar and he does a great job.

She has a 250 gallon display. Not sure how much of a dent an algae Blenny will do on that. I have a 2 bar and he does a great job.

not as a sole replacement rather as a member of the replacement team, terrific asset.  

25 Algae Blennies would do the trick....

that's a lot of uniquely behaving peeping heads in one tank.

I like my two-bar rabbitfish. He has gotten along just fine with all of my tangs since day-1. There are other rabbitfishes that are elegant looking that you might consider, too. Keep in mind that they can get very large and are in the same genus as foxfaces (Siganus).Very affordable.

I like my two-bar rabbitfish. He has gotten along just fine with all of my tangs since day-1. There are other rabbitfishes that are elegant looking that you might consider, too. Keep in mind that they can get very large and are in the same genus as foxfaces (Siganus).Very affordable.

I read one article where the owner said his grew from 2" to 1' in 7 years.

I think you will be happy with the rabbit and foxface choice. They also eat algae that most tangs will not touch. I really like my algea blenny but it can be aggressive to my tangs, even the large vlamingii. It doesn't bother the other smaller fish but it chases the tangs away from the rocks.

I had a starry blenny once - biggest a-hole fish I ever saw! My poor kole tang had bit marks all over him for a while.

I recently saw a little midas blenny going after other fish in a store too. I think blennys are like mean cheerleaders. Nice to look at but big jerks!

I agree on the blennies. Once they have stayed in a tank for a long time they get fat and territorial. Leaving rings on all the nice tangs and keeping them stressed and skiddish. Plus i havent had one that puts much of a dent in any algae populations, at least in a larger tank

The bristle tooth tangs and two bar and mexican turbos are my go to cleanup.

I second the urchin suggestion. They are very effective! My west indies sea egg is currently carrying around a thermometer and two snails...so not so great if you have loose frags.

I second the urchin suggestion. They are very effective! My west indies sea egg is currently carrying around a thermometer and two snails...so not so great if you have loose frags.

Glue everything down. People laugh at my epoxy use, but my turbos and urchins never knock anything off!

+2

I just acquired a Radiata fire urchin from Taiscici (thank you again Chau!) and this thing is a Hoover! I have a 55g tank that just has fish in it and some algae since I don't care. You can see the trail of where he has gone in the last 48 hours and the rock is now part white. Glass is clean, and it is fun watching food land in his spines and he works it down to the underside where his mouth is located (I am calling it a he- I have no clue) Chau did say the reason he got rid of it was that he was knocking things over. I can see how this would happen, he is probably 4" across!