Should I put a tank here?

Ryan S

Yay or Nay?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a small cube or AIO for my office, or wait for something bigger?

• Yay
    • Nay

Middle, bottom. In front of the outlet.  The max dimensions would be something like 34"W x 22"L x 24"D.  So, too small for a 40g breeder, but it could fit something like 20"x20"x20", or a 29g biocube, or 34g RSM, etc.  I could use the shelf space underneath it, in the cabinet, for a sump as well, to hide all equipment.  I'd just cut a small hole in the bookshelf.  I could even fit an ATO reservoir down there too.  Or should I wait until I can afford/figure out a bigger tank?  Moving from a 150g to a ~30g might be tough I suspect...

IMG_5661.JPG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you shut down your 150g? So you would be going from nothing to a 30g......which is great!!!!

I have a 16g that I have had for the last 1.5 years and I love it. It keeps me happy as my 300g is getting built. After that I will keep the 16g since it is upstairs.

I think you will get tremendous joy from a 30g.  Just my 2 cents.

I think if you plan it right, a pico/nano/small tank can all be equally rewarding, if not harder than a large tank. I say you accept the challenge of a small tank, and make it awesome. It will probably satisfy your want of a tank, and maybe not even want a large tank once you realize how much time you still have for your family and other activities. Plus if you do it right, it can be *tries not to laugh* super affordable!

Just my 2c.

Do you own this place, or are you renting? Planning to move anytime soon?

If you could afford your dream tank right this moment, what would it be?

When I have a 'dream' in mind, it's very hard for me to settle for a compromise. I tend to just wait a long time until conditions are right. But for me, planning and preparing is very rewarding.

Here's my vote:

1) Sell all the books. Everyone's digital these days. Get a kindle. Rip out the existing shelving.

2) Install a long tank approximately 2/3 the length of the wall on the left side. Starphire, rimless, etc. Underneath put your sump.

3) Install a sink in the remaining third section on the right.  This will be your clean up area, mixing station, and general wet bar area. Underneath store liquor. Install floating shelves above for glassware.

4) Replace ceiling fan and track lighting with lazers / disco ball.

5) Enjoy your new party room! Invite WAMAS members for the grand opening. I'll make a playlist and swing by the D.C. Costco for booze and appetizers.

When I have a 'dream' in mind, it's very hard for me to settle for a compromise. I tend to just wait a long time until conditions are right. But for me, planning and preparing is very rewarding.

Here's my vote:

1) Sell all the books. Everyone's digital these days. Get a kindle. Rip out the existing shelving.

2) Install a long tank approximately 2/3 the length of the wall on the left side. Starphire, rimless, etc. Underneath put your sump.

3) Install a sink in the remaining third section on the right.  This will be your clean up area, mixing station, and general wet bar area. Underneath store liquor. Install floating shelves above for glassware.

5) Enjoy your new party room! Invite WAMAS members for the grand opening. I'll make a playlist and swing by the D.C. Costco for booze and appetizers.

UUUMMMMMM....

Please read the last couple pages of his build

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/47011-ryans-150g-marineland-deep-dimension/

A 30 gallon tank sounds like a nice compromise, Ryan. You could drill a hole or two in the cabinet that you could later cover with a desk / furniture grommet when you three outgrow the townhome. 

UUUMMMMMM....

Please read the last couple pages of his build

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/47011-ryans-150g-marineland-deep-dimension/

Ok we'll put a pin in the extensive home renos.

I think this is an attractive tank and great value: http://www.scaquariums.com/aquarium-systems/24-gallon-pnp-system-best-deal.html

A bit more elegant than the Biocubes IMO. I prefer the look of sharp corners to bent glass corners.

(edited)

Here's my vote:

That might be one of the best replies on WAMAS ever! Made me laugh out loud at my desk!  I especially enjoy the lazers / disco ball effect.  Haha.  With that said, I own, and that bookshelf can't come out.  My wife would kill me lol.

The dream tank is a 300g DD (I'd copy ridetheducati as much as possible, tank, equipment, corals, you name it. If he ever sells his setup, I'll be first in line for it!).  I don't have the $10,000 that would take to get up and running.  Nor do I necessarily have a good location for it in our townhouse.  The downside is we plan on living here 9 more years before we move to a  Single Family Home where the 300g DD might have a good location.

The reason I want something now, besides missing my favorite hobby, is our 3 month old baby boy.  I want him to grow up with tanks.  I am sure if we had a tank, even if small, he'd be mesmerized.

Edited by Ryan S

Ryan - I have a 20x20x20 cube in Fairfax.  I have not had larger tanks, but I really like the size and look of the smaller cube.

If you want to take a look and get a feel for the size, feel free to stop by sometime!

Get a tank.  Accept the fact it's not your "dream tank" and just have fun with it.  Stocking a small tank is so affordable compared to a large tank, and using 5gal buckets for waterchanges is so nice.  Personally, I don't ever plan to upgrade to anything more than a 60 gallon tank.  I started with a 29gal, and have a 17gal right now.  It's a hobby for me, and not a full time job.

With a narrow-ish footprint and 24" of height, what about a 37 tall with seahorses?  Oh, wait, you have a 3-month old.  No time for that kind of fuss.

A biocube or standard 29 would be great, especially if you have room for a sump underneath. How about a toby?  I bet the kid would love that.

The reason I want something now, besides missing my favorite hobby, is our 3 month old baby boy.  I want him to grow up with tanks.  I am sure if we had a tank, even if small, he'd be mesmerized.

Then you answered your own question :)

That might be one of the best replies on WAMAS ever! Made me laugh out loud at my desk!  I especially enjoy the lazers / disco ball effect.  Haha.  With that said, I own, and that bookshelf can't come out.  My wife would kill me lol.

Show her this mockup, maybe she'll change her mind. Some people need help to see the vision, ya know?

NHSCAgF.jpg

THAT's Awesome.  Wait a second so I can put a picture of my house you can edit so I can show my wife!!!

I would like one also.

The 18" or 20" cubes are nice...I could see that working for you. I've got an undrilled 20x20x12 deep blue rimless and an eshopps 75 that it looks like I'm not going to use anymore now that I just determined I'd do a 90g instead. Hang an LED pendant from the shelf and there you go. Consider that option, but you've got a variety of ways you could go and fit that space if you just stay relatively small. Just remember the details (i.e. dream tank specs) are for you...your little guy will be mesmerized regardless. You can upgrade when your "helper" has grown enough to pitch in and carry water or at least bags of livestock ;-)

I would go at least 24" in one direction.  At 18" or 20" you are limited in terms of lighting, like not being able to fit even a 24w T5.

I would go 30" x 20" x 20" custom or something like that and hang a 4 bulb T5 with a led stunner strip or something.

Here's my vote:

OK I stand corrected!....I did not see your vision!

I think a little nano would be awesome there. I find that it is more satisfying to plan a focus species or two rather than a few random community fish. There are tons of fish/invert options that would be swallowed up in a 300DD. And with a little one, I would recommend staying away from anything that requires frozen/live to survive. Keep it simple. Adding display macroalgae helps too. Honestly, with a small tank, unless you are planning SPS, I would skip the sump, and even the AIO in favor of a simple aquaclear HOB and a powerhead. It is plenty of filtration if it is slightly oversized. Water changes are more than adequate in a FOWLR less than 30 gallons. Keep an ATO in the cabinet below, though top offs with a jug of distilled is simple.

My family's favorite tank is our little 3 gallon Pico. The sexy shrimp all hang out on the maxi mini, and the pom pom crab waves her anemones at us daily! My next nano (we have 3) will likely be mostly Hancock barnacle blennies.

With a baby, even though rimless are awesome, I'm definitely going to need a lid or canopy.

I spoke with the wife last night about potential tank locations. I'm gong to take photos of each location and share them here and see what you all think.

She thinks the office is nice, but would prefer something on the main floor where I can hold the baby in my lap on a recliner in front of the tank, or she can set him in his high chair in front of it while she's in the kitchen, or in his playpen in front of it. There's 2 potential locations. One in the living room, one in the dining room. The dining room spot is nice, but a 75g ish tank beside the dining room table? Does anyone have a tank beside their dining room table?

The living room spot is bigger but in a weird spot. I'll take pics.