Should I put a tank here?

Ryan S

Yay or Nay?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a small cube or AIO for my office, or wait for something bigger?

• Yay
    • Nay

Pics will help everyone help you...for sure an aid. And I do get the rimless thing.

I think I remember you being somewhat obsessive about keeping your tank clean...not a bad thing in your dining room. Other things you might consider...

Do you eat in your dining room enough that you'll be in there? (a lot of people have a dining room and don't really use it)

Where can you do maintenance without creating too much mess for that type of space? (mmm...is there seaweed in this...I'm picking up an aroma today)

Is there a good spot to sit with your boy and a bottle? (for each of you....haha)

Would you both see it from where you sit and from where you will ulimately put his high chair?

Will 'noise' or tank light glare create issues? (plasma tvs are notorious...I took one back once when I realized I could make out each fish in the reflection)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAIMER:  I don't want to hear about my messy rooms or the weird *&#@ in the photos that I didn't move from the pic like the creepy barbie on the kitchen sink, the 2g fish tank next to the stove, the diapers, bottles, breast pumps, messy garage, huge pink ball, etc etc etc.  I didn't want to move all of them for the photos.  So focus on the best tank locations please!  (You know which ones of you I am talking about too!)

I remeasured the bookshelf in the office, it's 37"x24":

gallery_2631706_8_74081.jpg

Here is the back wall in the office as another option (maybe a 34g RSM, or a 75g tank perhaps):

gallery_2631706_8_238301.jpg

Basement "Learning Center" Room option. 3 pics:

gallery_2631706_8_125355.jpg

gallery_2631706_8_103214.jpg

gallery_2631706_8_241792.jpg

Garage option? It's not insulated. But concrete so I could fit a 300g DD there...

gallery_2631706_8_69223.jpg

Dining Room option. 2 pics:

gallery_2631706_8_204249.jpg

gallery_2631706_8_113427.jpg

Living room option. Where bookcase is. 2 pics:

gallery_2631706_8_231271.jpg

gallery_2631706_8_225.jpg

Do any of these look like good spots???

I still say keep it small for starters. Life will be crazy for a bit. Set something up that is easy and small to test the waters first. You can always put up a big tank once all of the baby gear gets put away. You will have giant colorful baby things in your house for awhile!

I still say keep it small for starters. Life will be crazy for a bit. Set something up that is easy and small to test the waters first. You can always put up a big tank once all of the baby gear gets put away. You will have giant colorful baby things in your house for awhile!

Well said.

+1

Keep it simple, looks like you have a lot of other things going on in life, and starting a family takes a lot of time and money. I would go for the small one on the shelf in the office where you could see it all the time ( if you work from home), and you could probably close the door to keep the little guy out of there. IMO

I say dining room in the corner maybe a 93corner or a big cube visible from both room. My tank is in between the open dining/living room and while its not in the dining room, the dining table extends in front of it when we do big holidays. I plant myself at the head of the table right next to it :)

Put a 3 foot tank or corner (56g) where the leather recliner is in the living room. As he grows, you may need the shelves for toys. Slide the recliner in front of the window or in the other side of the window.

I also like the office nano if you work from home. The other options don't seem as good to me...either it seems like you won't spend as much time there now or it would be " in the way."

If you celebrate Xmas, where do you out the tree? Seems silly, but with a growing kid it will be a big deal and why put a tank where you Kay need an Xmas tree.

yep....im agreeing with the office or diningroom...i thought the purple wall would be perfect...but that doesnt look like a room you use much...so whats the point...also with the need to childproof...i feel the office is the safest...it will be ontop of a built in...cant be pulled over...

i also like the comment on where your christmas tree would go...being you havent been in the house long this would be a great question to answer along with are you planning on getting new larger furniture soon...sometimes a couch 6 inches longer kills the idea of a spot :)

Edited by smallreef

Thank you everyone for your advice. The Christmas tree went where the leather recliner is, so that knocks that spot out. We don't use that basement room with the purple wall ever, so another good observation there. My office door doesn't have a lock on it, but thats an easy fix. Based on the consensus, the office shelf will be the location of my return to the hobby tank. Now I need to research some tanks that might fit their nicely. I am unsure about getting a 36" wide tank b/c I won't be able to clean the sides or put anything on them (like a vortech for example). A 40g breeder would otherwise be great there. And I'm still hesitant to go rimless. I like canopies for hiding the lights and keeping fish inside. The cabinet underneath will work great for a hidden sump, ato reservoir, and reactors. So I'll continue to monitor craigslist and our wts forums and jump when the ideal reef ready tank (without any scratches) appears. Do you guys think I should spend $190 on another brs plus 5 stage ro/Di unit for a tank that's ~30g? Thanks again everyone.

I'd get the rodi...but you might find a better deal used...who knows. Investing in the rodi is good as it will keep you from having to make trips for water when you're otherwise needed at home...my wife was an easy sell on that one...in fact, it was a requirement. As an added benefit, it will also keep you from visiting fish stores "too often". Excited to see you come back in...glad you're taking a smart approach to it. It's a tricky time in life for reefing, but still doable if you don't lose sight of the real priorities. I say that and have had my own struggles too.

Edited by matt

I'd get a rodi and a drinking water reservoir for the kitchen :) 2 birds .... 1 stone.... Don't know about your water...but I hateeeee the chloramine smell and use a Brita for everything....

Don't forget, you can easily spend $5-10k on a small tank if you keep buying brand new and high end equipment. Why not try to find a used rodi from wamas or craigslist?

RO/DI units are one item that's cheaper to buy new I think. Even if someone was selling the BRS unit used for $75, you'd have to replace the filters, DI resin, and the membrane. And that runs about $80. So for a little bit more you get a brand new unit, with all accessories...

With that said, I'll be creating a WTB list on wamas for used items for just about everything else. I need to save as much money as possible! I am not spending $5k on this thing. Maybe $1k? $2k?

As for radions. Been there, done that. Having had radions and MH, the MH dominated the radions in every way possible. Growth rate. Coloration. You name it. Maybe not in electric bill costs, that's it. I wouldn't use LEDs for SPS ever again. And it's somewhat nice to see Ridetheducati going from MH to LED back to MH again. LEDs simply dont cut it for SPS. Maybe LPS or softies, but heck, PC lighting can handle those too. Anyway, I've never used T5s, but I'm confident they would be as good for SPS as MHs, so I may go with a nice ATI T5 fixture. We'll see.

RO/DI units are one item that's cheaper to buy new I think. Even if someone was selling the BRS unit used for $75, you'd have to replace the filters, DI resin, and the membrane. And that runs about $80. So for a little bit more you get a brand new unit, with all accessories...

With that said, I'll be creating a WTB list on wamas for used items for just about everything else. I need to save as much money as possible! I am not spending $5k on this thing. Maybe $1k? $2k?

As for radions. Been there, done that. Having had radions and MH, the MH dominated the radions in every way possible. Growth rate. Coloration. You name it. Maybe not in electric bill costs, that's it. I wouldn't use LEDs for SPS ever again. And it's somewhat nice to see Ridetheducati going from MH to LED back to MH again. LEDs simply dont cut it for SPS. Maybe LPS or softies, but heck, PC lighting can handle those too. Anyway, I've never used T5s, but I'm confident they would be as good for SPS as MHs, so I may go with a nice ATI T5 fixture. We'll see.

Find a used RO/DI system, hang a good looking used T5 light off of the shelf or the shelf supports above, set the tank out so you can clean most of the sides and can reach in back, or raise the shelf, make sure the supports under the counter can carry the weight, use a screen for the top of the tank, use the space below the tank for sump, skimmer, doser, and ATO , Alk & Cal containers, drill a few 2" holes in the top of the counter to run equipment and electrical, Keep one shelf above to the left or right open that can hold a 5 gal can with a valve to put up there when you do water changes, buy a flex hose long enough to run from the tank to your bathroom toilet, and you are good to go!

The bathroom in the basement is right beside my office too. If I could automate this tank for mega fast and easy water changes, I'd be a very happy camper!

http://www.quantumreefs.com/Mr-Aqua-336-Gallon-Frameless-Glass-Aquarium-Tank-248-x-177-x-177_p_48241.html

I lean towards this 2 ft 33g tank for you if on the office shelves. DIY a "canopy" front and sides that attaches under the bottom shelf. Light it with 4x24w T5 and supplement with an 18" reefbrite. Put the T5 rig on drawer slider in the canopy so you can slide it back 3-4" and put the reefbrite on the inside front of the canopy. When you need to put your hands in the tank....pull the reefbrite out and slide the T5 back. This also leaves some space behind the tank for a drilled overflow and that outlet..maybe a glassholes overflow for ease of setup....or get a CPR retro overflow box from BRS and make a two-drain herbie.

If you're working in there regularly, skip cooling fans and just make sure the lighting is well vented from above and behind. The herbie and lack of active cooling would net a pretty quiet office tank.

So are you planning on corals too, or want the option anyway? If this is possibly going to be a 2 year or less tank and only fish, any lighting is fine. You can find an LED perfectly fine for lps/softies and maxi minis for under $100 new. LPS and softies prefer slightly dirtier water (win/win!) and my daughter's favorite corals have always been pulsing xenia anyway. As a matter of fact the tank my 5 year old has designated as "hers" has a good bit of xenia and halimeda, a few lps, clownfish, soon to be a royal gramma, and she loves the skunk cleaner shrimp. It is a Nuvo 16 but would be easier to clean if it was not an all in one. I kept stock lighting. On my pico I have a little 12 inch finnex led and it is perfect for what it is (but no moonlights).

I agree on the rodi on going new - I wish I would have for the exact reason you gave. Even after replacing filters I had only saved about $35 - not worth it.