new member, just getting into it

jakejordan94

hello every one!, my name is Jake, roughly two months ago i converted a 20H freshwater into a saltwater tank. mostly because fresh is kinda boring, i wanted to to have something more exciting that i could actually care for and nurture, and grow into something amazing, and so far, i love it. With the strict help and guidelines of a couleague and fellow member, i have what i believe to be a pretty good start, and this page has definitly helped. I current have two pieces of live rock roughly 5 pounds, some live sand, a heater, a seaclone scimmer and a canister filter, small power head and T5 lights. I have various zoes and some other assorted corals ( like i said, im new, im not 100% on the types and names ) just wondering if yall had some general advice, or are willing to help me out with rock and some more corals to fill my tank up. thanks! 

post-2635068-0-65518700-1401429903_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard

Looks like your off to a good start!

There are alot of books out there too...so in your free time ,lol like any of us have that, grab a few good ones...

Welcome, what are your plans for it, fish and future corals? Hopefully you will get paypal figured out, becoming a member will be the best $20 you will spend in this hobby.

im, probably going to get a few firefish a wrasse and maybe a foxface, as for coral, im not sure yet, like i said earlier, my tank is still very new, im just sticking to the hearty, not easy to kill stuff, but who knows later on what i might get

Welcome! What issues are you having joining up? Also, I would not suggest a foxface for a 20 gal. Off to a nice start!

im, probably going to get a few firefish a wrasse and maybe a foxface, as for coral, im not sure yet, like i said earlier, my tank is still very new, im just sticking to the hearty, not easy to kill stuff, but who knows later on what i might get.

welcome to wamas. keep small fish for small tank. don't get foxface it is a big fish.

Welcome to the club. In addition to using paypal for your membership, it will also be important in buying/selling all the sweet gear and livestock you will see here on WAMAS (once a member).  There really is a lot on these boards to help fuel your addiction :)

I am sure that 20 will turn into a 120 in no time :)

maybe a foxface,

Sounds like maybe you want a visit from these guys I6i6x0M.jpg

But seriously, a Foxface requires a lot of space, stick with small fish, you will have enough of a headache with your parameters in a smaller tank, no need to exacerbate the problem with a large fish. 

Welcome to Wamas. I really like your rock layout!

Welcome aboard, Jake.

When I was starting out, I found that researching your livestock choices was critical to long term success. I found liveaquaria.com to be a decent resource. If you look there for the various species of foxface, you'll see that they get to be anywhere from 7" to over a foot long, and require tanks of 70 gallons or more, minimum, depending upon the species. The site will also tell you a little bit about compatibility with inverts (like corals or ornamental shrimp - who here has seen a $25 shrimp swallowed up right before their eyes by a hungry wrasse?). They've also got a nice compatibility chart available to help people plan.

WAMAS is a very active community. I hope that you'll join us as a full member. Click on the link in my signature for more information regarding the benefits of membership.

Welcome! Something to remember about a foxface is that they are poisonous and can kill other fish by accidental stabs. I lost a purple tang to one during feeding time.