Help me lie

sen5241b

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People, its just a 90 not a 300. He has the sump (his 20g). He can pick up lights on the cheap (they may even come with the used tank he buys), and the skimmer wont break the bank either if he shops around.

As for all the other additions, they can come in time. No need to go buying reactors and zeowhatever. KISS: tank/stand, lighting (used MH anyone?), skimmer... done. I put this at around 300$ if he knows where to find a deal (WAMAS).  

Add in one box of RC salt and you are at $354. 

I don't think that is too much to spend on your happiness :)

People, its just a 90 not a 300. He has the sump (his 20g). He can pick up lights on the cheap (they may even come with the used tank he buys), and the skimmer wont break the bank either if he shops around.

As for all the other additions, they can come in time. No need to go buying reactors and zeowhatever. KISS: tank/stand, lighting (used MH anyone?), skimmer... done. I put this at around 300$ if he knows where to find a deal (WAMAS).  

Add in one box of RC salt and you are at $354. 

I don't think that is too much to spend on your happiness :)

that depends on your definition of "happiness"...his wife said no and he stated money is tight. I would rather see him save up for it as he can and when as a family they decide it is a good time to do it.  

that depends on your definition of "happiness"...his wife said no and he stated money is tight. I would rather see him save up for it as he can and when as a family they decide it is a good time to do it.  

Of course you are right. I got caught up in all the stuff we "need" for a tank and overlooked the real issue here. If it will bankrupt the family, obviously don't do it :)

I don't think it will bankrupt, but I think we walk a tight line already in this hobby of want vs. need.

Start doing side work. I work at a school so there are always teachers with car troubles, or they need a new ceiling fan installed at their house, something hauled to the dump, etc. $20-$50 here and there can add up!

I would sit down and write up a complete list of everything you would need for it. Then next to each item write the price of it. Total it all up and see where you are at.

(We had a large yard sale and used all that money to start our tank)

(edited)

And a comfortable couch!!! lol

I hope my wife doesn't read this thread!

I can re-use the ATO, my MHs and the 3G fuge from the 20 or as mentioned reuse the 20 as a fuge. I have never used a skimmer and keep phosphates at zero but the 3G fuge plus phosphate pads that I now use would probably not be enough on a 90. With only a little 20G I have been lugging 1G distilled water jugs. A RO/DI filter might actually save me money in the long run. Salt would cost more but it isn't the most expensive thing in the hobby. If I filled the 90 with clams, stonies and had lots of coralline then dosing would be inevitable and, yes, that would be money.

(just kidding, my wife has actually enjoyed the tank and even bought her own livestock for it)

Edited by sen5241b

Here is my train of thought...

make a WTBuy thread...post up what you need...and see what the prices are...

if you show her in black and white...and its not out of budget...then why not...

even though I buy what I want for the most part...I still talk to my husband about $$ as were not independently wealthy,lol

and he has plans for some things too apparently,lol

Here is my train of thought...

make a WTBuy thread...post up what you need...and see what the prices are...

if you show her in black and white...and its not out of budget...then why not...

even though I buy what I want for the most part...I still talk to my husband about $$ as were not independently wealthy,lol

and he has plans for some things too apparently,lol

+1...even if you don't share the post with your wife it will help you plan appropriately,

What you could do...is create a budget and:

A) save towards that goal

b) save towards an item, and buy eash as you are able...accumulating the parts you need for the upgrade over time

c) take out a student loan...WAIT, WHAT?!?

Seriously, don't take out a loan of any kind...be financially responsible ad pursue A or B after establishing budget. I pulled the trigger on a 120g because the deal was so good...and now I still have to debate the odds and ends with my wife and it's making things harder than I'd want to even make the upgrade a reality. And, mind you, I'm cheap and a deal shopper.

Do the marital haggling up front, buddy. Coral Sex is cool and our last WAMAS speaker was great, but it isn't nearly as cool as the real deal. (Apologies to the conservative PC crowd)

Coral Sex is cool and our last WAMAS speaker was great, but it isn't nearly as cool as the real deal. (Apologies to the conservative PC crowd)

:laugh:

Coral Sex is cool and our last WAMAS speaker was great, but it isn't nearly as cool as the real deal...

I am re-priortizing yet again.

Thanks for all the advice. I do indeed need to plan this out and myabe bank some money for this in advance.

I am re-priortizing yet again.

Thanks for all the advice. I do indeed need to plan this out and myabe bank some money for this in advance.

Talk to her, not us! :-D

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Man, on Manhattan Reefs you would have had about 100 different things to say plus people pushing you to a bigger tank with links to good deals in the FS forum.

I think you guys must have all your wives on this forum with you ;)

I think you guys must have all your wives on this forum with you ;)

Roflmao

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

I guess I am lucky since I can buy things i want with a reasonable and do not have to tell my spouse.  But sometime, you have to step out of your box and stand up on a tall tree to see the issue as a big picture and see whether you can afford it in the long run.

why not just mack out the 20 and it'll be the 20 that everyone talks about?

You can't handle the 80.

Choosing corals for a 20G Long is a very tricky thing. Choose one with longer sweeper tentacles and something else dies. At one point I had a total of 80G and since I downgraded to a 20 I've had some more time in my life and less trouble.