Mag Float Scraper - anyone use this

epleeds

I need something that will work on 3/4" glass, but for $90 I thought i would see if anyone has used it before dropping that much coin. 

anyone have any thoughts on this?

I haven't used the one from Mag Float, but I use the Easy Blade Scraper which you glue onto a Mag Float body. It works great and really cuts the time to scrape down the glass.

I just started using one one of the wood hammerhead type of floats, but I find that it pops along on the glass rather than going smoothly.  It doesn't seem to matter how slowly I drag it, it pops along and fires water out of my tank if I'm trying to clean near the top of the glass.  I assume that means that the magnets are too strong?  Anyway, I don't like mine so much.  I also have the scraper on it that Tom posted, which works ok to get the little bit of algae down by the sand line that is hard to get by other means.

I just started using one one of the wood hammerhead type of floats, but I find that it pops along on the glass rather than going smoothly.  It doesn't seem to matter how slowly I drag it, it pops along and fires water out of my tank if I'm trying to clean near the top of the glass.  I assume that means that the magnets are too strong?  Anyway, I don't like mine so much.  I also have the scraper on it that Tom posted, which works ok to get the little bit of algae down by the sand line that is hard to get by other means.

Sounds like, yes, the magnet's too strong for the thickness of glass that you're trying to clean.

I like the Easy Blade scraper because it'll not only knock off film algae in one quick pass, but will also cut down coraline algae just as quickly. And, it has replaceable blades. To extend the life of the blades, I keep the scraper out of the water when not in use and rinse and dry the blade after every use. It lasts nearly forever that way.

(edited)

I need something that will work on 3/4" glass, but for $90 I thought i would see if anyone has used it before dropping that much coin. 

anyone have any thoughts on this?

best thing since slice bread.  One of our customers got one from us... and came back drooling :laugh:

taking his suggestion, i opened one up and tried it on our FOWLR tank, which was pretty much impossible to keep clean... it would usually take hour or so of elbow grease and wet hands to clean the 180...

OMG... with this thing, it literally took 5 minutes... and it was strong enough to Burrough through the sand where it meets the glass...

we have since switched out all our magnet scrapers to this model ... definitely worth it

Alan... this will take care of it... magnet is strong though so it is not going to "glide" but man, it will scrape anything off the glass and also clean the sandbed portion

Edited by Quantum Aquaria

if its hopping like that...make a spacer.  cardboard or something and a piece of felt that would slide accross the dry pane of glass....that will make it much smoother

i have the ezblade on an old magfloat and it cuts thru very established coraline VERY quickly...couple passes. had it for years just never used it...dont know what i was thinking

I literally wouldn't still be in the hobby if it wasn't for this.  I have the wood hammerhead one with the Easy blade scraper that glues on.  What used to take an hour takes 2 minutes now.  I take me less time to do the actual cleaning that to attach the blade, drop it in the tank and fish it back out when done.

I'm lazy so without it would mean less frequent tank cleaning, nasty looking tank and eventually quitting the hobby.

Felt spacer is a good idea- clean the outside glass while scraping the inside!  I have also found that if you use some of that glass buffing compound and keep the outside glass polished, the magnet slides easier and requires less arm strength.  If your magnets aren't too strong this may not be noticeable there is a difference that the wife may notice.

Whatever became of the one that you can use a standard razor blade in? I know they need to make money, and charge ridiculous $$ for replacements blades, but I loved that scraper.

Whatever became of the one that you can use a standard razor blade in? I know they need to make money, and charge ridiculous $$ for replacements blades, but I loved that scraper.

You're talking about the old Oceans Motion scraper, I think. I don't think they're doing much anymore. Great idea, though. You could use whatever blade you could fit in the carrier. Even a carpet blade or a scraper blade, either of which is wider than a standard razor.

Sounds like, yes, the magnet's too strong for the thickness of glass that you're trying to clean.

I like the Easy Blade scraper because it'll not only knock off film algae in one quick pass, but will also cut down coraline algae just as quickly. And, it has replaceable blades. To extend the life of the blades, I keep the scraper out of the water when not in use and rinse and dry the blade after every use. It lasts nearly forever that way.

OMG.

Mine just arrived yesterday and I glued in on today.

WOW 

. In less than 10 minutes my tank glass was clear again. :wig:  :wig:  :wig: 

I was ready to give in, the corraline was growing out of control and I couldn't reach most of it because of the canopy and it was seriously making me want to think of the unthinkable...it was so unenjoyable for me to look at the tank with it covering the glass.  I can't believe this simple little thing has me so ridiculously happy and giddy.  

Anyone who is wondering if they should get one.....don't wait buy it....its crazy amazing. 

glued it on?  i take it you didn't get the Mag Float scrape?

see link

http://www.magfloat.net/telas/pagina.php?id=29

no I have 1" glass so I have to use a million dollar magnetic cleaner...so I use the tunze mag cleaner...so I bought this:

http://www.algaefree.com/site/easy_blade.html

its incredible.

I use the one that Jennn uses and it works so good, you can easily shred silicone and easily scratch the glass, especially starfire.

I have been now using the Mag-float with scraper for about 4months and the biggest drawback to these is that the blade bends after 3 or 4 uses if you're scraping coralline. It's definitely a light duty scraper and $12 for a refill pack- trust me, you'll need it.

yeah i noticed it was too quick near the silicone...so I stopped going too close...its so effortless that its dangerous...but gawd its good

• 4 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

I have the one that Jenn was talking about, however it was attached to a smaller magnet that didn't like my 3/4" glass.  I bought this one:

http://www.magfloat.net/telas/pagina.php?id=29

http://www.thatpetplace.com/floating-cleaner-with-scraper-glass-aquariums?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c260368&ne_ppc_id=1463&ne_key_id=26464408&gclid=CL3U35iBhr4CFW1nOgodzTQAaw

and i have to say its AWESOME.  The blade is really big and cleans really well.  It also doesn't fall off if i move too fast.  I have the algae free hammer head for normal cleaning, but for coraline, i really like this one.