Tricia's 90 gallon Build

Well that's pretty cool, what does the oral disk look like?

The big one I can see from up top. The other small one started off clear and then colored up. I thought it was a torch at first until the color came in. Both are bright pink on the oral disk. I've fed the big one brine, lrs, and pellets a few times. It moved around a lot when I first noticed it but has stayed in the same place for about 5 weeks now.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crap. I think you're right. Sigh. Looks like I'm going to have to get rid of these two. When I do the tank move in a month I'll remove them.

Maybe stop feeding them.

By the way, your pics are awesome! :clap:

Since it won't let me edit the original post...

Monti I have

14. Forest Fire Digi (AlanM)

Montis WANT list:

1. Setting sun

2. Aquaman

3. Appleberry

4. Blue Flower

5. Blue Summit

6. Slow Burn

7. Beach Bum (I'll snag a tiny frag from Ken when he finally breaks down :tongue: )

8. Speed Bomb

9. Fire Polyp Undata

10. Sunny Delight

11. Pink Cadillac
  12. WWC Cherry Tree
  13. WWC Gatorade
  14. Wild Orchid
  15. Toxic Spill

I have had girlfriends like that.

God bless your wife ;) lol.

But come to think of it, yeah, I could probably say the same thing about some boyfriends. 

Sounds like you got set up.

Yeah, when I say freebie, I mean, my dip didn't kill it and I apparently didn't notice them on something.  No one tried to sell them to me or anything.  I'll remove them this week.  Sigh.  I was so excited to have a bta of any kind. 

• 1 month later...

So tank update...

My tank is doing good. Which is ironic because I'm tearing it down. It's kind of like a last ditch "save me" effort. Our lease expires on Friday of this week, and we're movign within the building and will have an 18 month lease.My 90g tank has some scratches on the front, so I decided to go ahead and switch it out...which eventually led me to a 120g tank. Honestly, I wouldn't have upgraded if it wasn't for the move. But since I'm going to tear everything apart, it makes sense. I'll post some growth pictures here because so many of my pieces have grown a lot.

On a different note, I added a RW8 to my tank. I temporarily placed it on the far left of the tank, but in the new set up, it will probably go in the middle. The additional flow has cause one of my birdsnest to retract its polyps. If I wasn't already moving everything, I would move it. But I can still see them come out, just not as far as before.

Here's my list of things to do, as much for me as anything. Please feel free to comment.

Stand:

1. Build out back of stand to accomodate extra 6" of tank depth.

2. Add plywood skin to new sides.

3. Stain/paint the entire stand

4. Add doors to the front of the stand

Canopy

I may not do anything to the canopy honestly. I'm getting some new lights in a few months (I'm buying them at Ken's gift shop!) and I may go the hanging canopy'less route. So any mods to the canopy will wait until I make final decisions on all of that.  But that being said, I used KILLZ on the inside, and it's been flaking off recently. Suggestions or thoughts? Should I re-KILLZ the inside again?

Tank

1. Need to rethink the plumbing. The current plumbing has one drain and one return. The new tank comes with two 1" drain bulkheads in the overflows and two 3/4" returns bulkheads. I also want to redo the way the plumbing comes into my sump, because right now it blocks a lot of space. The placement is just awkward, but it was functional at the time it was done.

2. Aquascape. I really want to open up my aquascape a bit. I'm thinking about using little pieces of PVC pipe as "lifts" between the rocks and gluing everything into place. This should create more fish holes and swimming space, and also allow more surface area for corals.

Storage

1. I'm going to build a little cabinet to sit next to the tank. This cabinet will house my ATO container and electronics. I want to build it with enough room to eventuall put dosers in as well. The top of the cabinet will function as an end table for the couch. I just saw a great Ikea hack that used marble contact paper to spruce up a space. Or maybe I'll try to find a chipped or damage piece of granite or marble. This end table can also function as a work space for me when I'm doing things on the tank.

Sigh.  My exciting freebie just turned into a pest. 

I was in the same boat a few months back. They are actually beautiful pests. I feed them to my chocolate chip starfish and it made quick work of it.

the additional flow/polyp retraction is not a bad thing...its just the coral adjusting...

Congrats on the upgrade/move....the old stain is mahogany with the poly already in it if im not mistaken (old skin was the red oak 1/8 in ply from home depot)

the 120g have a 3/4 in return bulkhead but i would bet its the same size hole as the 1 inch with just a smaller bulkhead...at least i know mine was (i switched to all 1 inch when i did it.

if its a corner oveflow i would think about cutting one out to gain more room (check my build thread if its stilleven around...i couldnt believe how much more space i got after it....you could always just plug the one side of it or go with a mini closed look and have just one of the overflows functioning....

i would also think of doing the return plumbing over the back and use the in lines in the tank as overflows only...aka have one at full syphon and the other an emergency drain type of deal....

for the rock work, look into the fiberglass driveway marker stakes from home depot etc...they make grey ones that work really well and are about 1/4in diameter.

which killz did you use, and was it fresh pressure treated wood?

the additional flow/polyp retraction is not a bad thing...its just the coral adjusting...

Congrats on the upgrade/move....the old stain is mahogany with the poly already in it if im not mistaken (old skin was the red oak 1/8 in ply from home depot)

the 120g have a 3/4 in return bulkhead but i would bet its the same size hole as the 1 inch with just a smaller bulkhead...at least i know mine was (i switched to all 1 inch when i did it.

if its a corner oveflow i would think about cutting one out to gain more room (check my build thread if its stilleven around...i couldnt believe how much more space i got after it....you could always just plug the one side of it or go with a mini closed look and have just one of the overflows functioning....

i would also think of doing the return plumbing over the back and use the in lines in the tank as overflows only...aka have one at full syphon and the other an emergency drain type of deal....

for the rock work, look into the fiberglass driveway marker stakes from home depot etc...they make grey ones that work really well and are about 1/4in diameter.

I need to process some of what you just suggested, but. ....

I used killz in the spray can on the canopy you gave me. I didn't do anything to it besides spraying it.

I need to process some of what you just suggested, but. ....

I used killz in the spray can on the canopy you gave me. I didn't do anything to it besides spraying it.

hmm probably had some salt/dirt etc still on it so you may have to clean/sand a little off and put some new killz on....the orignal coat was Killz orig (non water based)

im happy to write more if i confused or pm you if thats easier....just throwing out the thousands of options you have...... i had a 120 i never ended up setting up but had things ready to go.

first, take a 3/4 bulkehead off and measure , i bet a 1 in bulk head fits fine......(oceanic tanks do this) ...though be prepared to need a new bulkhead regardless if the hole is big enough or not...this just makes your options for plumbing a little more open.

if your happy with the overflows (corner or center) then no need bother with them....i would just think about using only 1 as a return pipe and the others you could do a herbie style overflow which would get pretty queit i bet (to me no real need to have more then 1 return line but im sure others have different opinions)

hmm probably had some salt/dirt etc still on it so you may have to clean/sand a little off and put some new killz on....the orignal coat was Killz orig (non water based)

im happy to write more if i confused or pm you if thats easier....just throwing out the thousands of options you have...... i had a 120 i never ended up setting up but had things ready to go.

first, take a 3/4 bulkehead off and measure , i bet a 1 in bulk head fits fine......(oceanic tanks do this) ...though be prepared to need a new bulkhead regardless if the hole is big enough or not...this just makes your options for plumbing a little more open.

if your happy with the overflows (corner or center) then no need bother with them....i would just think about using only 1 as a return pipe and the others you could do a herbie style overflow which would get pretty queit i bet (to me no real need to have more then 1 return line but im sure others have different opinions)

I'm definitely going to need to talk to you more. I'll just need to Google some things first. I know I've read about the herbie before, but I'm a visual person. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to taking out an overflow and only using one and only one return. I've got plenty of flow with my wave makers.

If I remember correctly, the bulkhead holes are different, because I wanted to move the return pipe to the inside of each overflow and couldn't due to glass hole size. You could remove one of the overflows, but since they are not in the corner, it woudl look weird to have one overflow off center. I do agree that you could run a single return up the back fo the tank and use the return bulkheads for drainage. IN the 120 I have now I run the return up the back using 3/4" flex tubing running into 3/4" rigid pvc that "t"s at the top and splits into two 3/4" loc-line nozzels.

If I remember correctly, the bulkhead holes are different, because I wanted to move the return pipe to the inside of each overflow and couldn't due to glass hole size. You could remove one of the overflows, but since they are not in the corner, it woudl look weird to have one overflow off center. I do agree that you could run a single return up the back fo the tank and use the return bulkheads for drainage. IN the 120 I have now I run the return up the back using 3/4" flex tubing running into 3/4" rigid pvc that "t"s at the top and splits into two 3/4" loc-line nozzels.

If I paint the back black, I'm not site you would even notice. ... but I haven't decided if I'm going to do that or not