I want to move my tank just one foot...

dante411x

I was talking about this with ridetheducati and someone else (sorry...) at the meeting and it seems like it's doable.

Basically I want to move my tank off the wall and from under the ventilation duct. If I can get it out 1 - 1.5 feet, that would give me another foot of clearance for lights, and allow access to look in overflows, mount stuff on back of tank, etc.

However.

The tank is full. The sump is full. The skimmer is hard mounted and a PITA. Not to mention that the total water volume for the system is 270 gallons and there's about 1.5 feet of clearance on sides of the tank to try to get someone in there to move it.

I had this idea of "renting" large trash cans from home depot or something and draining the water in there, catching the fish and moving them in there and putting all the rock in there, disconnecting everything and getting enough people to slide the tank on the stand. It is sitting on carpet, so I'm not sure if that's gonna make it easier or harder.

For this I will need volunteers! I can provide beverages in payment...

Also, if anyone else has an idea to uncomplicate the process, please pitch in!

To give a better idea, this is the thread I had started when I was building the tank. It has pictures that give a bit of a better view on what this would mean.

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/62247-my-first-saltwater-tank/

In my experience, a tank move is a tank move. Moving a tank 1.5 feet from the wall doesn't make it any easier -- the process is still the same. 

There are plenty of professional tank maintenance people here who can help out. It may cost a little of money, but it will be well spent. If you want recommendations then PM me. 

Edited by jaddc

With carpet you won't be scratching your floors...but it may not really slide without pulling your carpet along with it. I wouldn't be surpised if your carpet bubbled up in front of your stand after you slid it out. Test another spot in the room with something really heavy and see what happens.

Tank is pretty newly set up, right? Might take it all down as described and lift and carry it out that distance while it's empty. Then set it up again. Maybe a pain, but generally safer.

How much sand do you have? Not sure how easy it would be to move the tank with water just the depth of your sandbed. I've done it with little nanos...30g and 10g....but a 220g is another story. Leaving sand might keep you from having to make too much more water. You'll need to refill the     tank (getting a sandstorm potentially) while still housing your fish in water they can breathe in

Not sure of the tank weight when dry, but put something under it when you put it down so you can get a grip later...e.g. pvc pipe, a few 2x4 boards. I think monkiboy had a similar sized tank and rolled the empty tank around during set up using pvc pipes...if I remember right.

With little kids I'm not often available for this kind of thing as I'm on dad duty if not working, but throw out a coupld of possible dates and I'm sure some of us WAMASers will try to be available. Knowing when you want to do this will also make it easier for people to check if they're able to help.

Stands can settle in pretty deeply into carpet, leaving deep impressions in both the carpet and in the padding. It really depends upon how much material is actually contacting the floor and the pounds per square inch on the carpet. To move it, it's probably going to be a little more than a slide - you may find it more of a "lift and slide." 

Yeah.. It's about 300lb of sand between the tank and sump. It would have to be a "lift and slide" since my carpet is pretty thick. But nothing 6 people couldn't easily accomplish. Could have two on each side and two in the front...

The tank is new. And I made everything so it's easy to break down. But it's still a pita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, a tank move is a tank move. Moving a tank 1.5 feet from the wall doesn't make it any easier -- the process is still the same.

There are plenty of professional tank maintenance people here who can help out. It may cost a little of money, but it will be well spent. If you want recommendations then PM me.

Honestly if it costs any kind of real money, I'm not that worried about it. I would like to move it, it would certainly be easier to do some things if I move it, but it's not necessary.

One of the biggest issue with tank moves is making sure you don't stir up the sand, start a detritus cloud and a deadly cycle. You taking the sand out? Either way be careful how you pump the water back in making sure you don't stir up the sand. Even taking the rock out and putting it back in can stir up the sand too much.

One of the biggest issue with tank moves is making sure you don't stir up the sand, start a detritus cloud and a deadly cycle. You taking the sand out? Either way be careful how you pump the water back in making sure you don't stir up the sand. Even taking the rock out and putting it back in can stir up the sand too much.

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about the sandstorm too. But hopefully it doesn't cause too much of a new cycle, the tank is still fairly new and there's a bunch of sand stirring critters in there already. What I was thinking is emptying out the tank right to the sand level, and then sloowwlly filling it back up.

Honestly if it costs any kind of real money, I'm not that worried about it. I would like to move it, it would certainly be easier to do some things if I move it, but it's not necessary.

I moved my tank with professional help. Wasn't expensive and well worth the money. Even if you get a bunch members to help you out, it is nice to have an experienced foreman.

+1

When I moved my tank we kept the sand in place barely covered by water. Water and rock was added back carefully to minimize stirring. Didn't cause a cycle, but I did have another diatom bloom as well as some algae problems for a couple of weeks.

Stands can settle in pretty deeply into carpet, leaving deep impressions in both the carpet and in the padding. It really depends upon how much material is actually contacting the floor and the pounds per square inch on the carpet. To move it, it's probably going to be a little more than a slide - you may find it more of a "lift and slide." 

+1 My 30 gallon tank won't budge and its on carpet.

I figured this out when my 150g was it n place and had only the rock in...I wanted to move it literally 2 inches....

No budging! And frankly I was to lazy for 2 inches...

If you are able to put the stands on a couple of skids (possibly hardwood 1x6's) at either end, you may be able to slide it along over the carpet tufts to the new position before pulling the skids. That's an awfully big tank, though.

Every time I read this thread, I see this sign:

plan_ahead_zps12f1ee88.jpg

:tongue:

But seriously, if you're going to move it, better do it now instead of a year down the road. You've only got softies and rock and fish, and just barely cycled sand. Even after I filled up my 150 with water, I had to take it all out to squeeze a sump underneath (didn't even go that route, should have measured twice.) That was more trouble than it was worth.

In all seriousness though, that's why am thinking about it now. And honestly back then I had no idea that I would ever want to move it or why I would need to. I've got a buddy Who is a construction engineer so I'm going to try to talk to him and see if he's got any ideas on how this could be done.

As far as picking it up and moving it with the sand and a little bit of water, I estimate the weight of all that on the stand, with the stand, would be somewhere around 800 pounds. I'm sure I can find five other people that are capable of lifting hundred and 20 pounds 1 inch off the ground and moving it one flight sideways after it's out of the carpet

Use a lever. Can probably do it yourself with a small 4x4 block and a good prybar or a landscape bar, get it under one end of the stand after removing as much water weight as you can, then lift it a bit and have someone slide a couple of those smooth round furniture movers under the end. Do the same with the other end and then give it a good pull.

I will give you a hand when you are ready to try this. 

With that said, I do worry about moving a tank this big with anything left in it. I would hate for one of the sides to get too much stress and end up with a hairline crack.  

Also, don't worry about disturbing your sand bed. This tank is too young for it to cause any problem (if it ever does). 

Use a lever. Can probably do it yourself with a small 4x4 block and a good prybar or a landscape bar, get it under one end of the stand after removing as much water weight as you can, then lift it a bit and have someone slide a couple of those smooth round furniture movers under the end. Do the same with the other end and then give it a good pull.

You make it sound so easy! It might work though. The way the stand is made, it would have to be done 6 times though and I'm not sure if it would work.. I'll look into it though.

I will give you a hand when you are ready to try this.

With that said, I do worry about moving a tank this big with anything left in it. I would hate for one of the sides to get too much stress and end up with a hairline crack.

Also, don't worry about disturbing your sand bed. This tank is too young for it to cause any problem (if it ever does).

Thanks Jason, I'm going to do some more research on how to accomplish this. But once I'm ready, I'll let you know.

If you can do what you want without moving the tank... that is the way to go.

I would not recommend an aquarium that size even a foot without taking everything out of it. Just too much risk in popping one of the seams.  Okay, maybe the sand bed can stay if it isn't too deep.  It would be a lot of work. Say 2 guys most of the day to empty and fill the tank and an additional 4 big strong guys for the actual move.

You are on the right track of draining / pumping all the water out, moving it and then pumping it back in.  Fill "clean water" tubs for the fish and coral before you start moving rocks.  Have lots of new water ready to go and dispose of a bunch of water (the last of what you drain after you start stirring up the sand by taking out rocks) Have air pumps for the fish, a few tubs for live rock and a tank with circulation pumps for the coral. 

Good luck

drain water to sand level, buy some sliders at home depot, have 4 people lift one end of tank and place 2 sliders underneath, then repeat on other end. 4 people push on stand, not tank.

drain water to sand level, buy some sliders at home depot, have 4 people lift one end of tank and place 2 sliders underneath, then repeat on other end. 4 people push on stand, not tank.

This may just be the easiest way to go. Wouldn't even need 4 people on each side, could probably do with 3.

If you can do what you want without moving the tank... that is the way to go.

I would not recommend an aquarium that size even a foot without taking everything out of it. Just too much risk in popping one of the seams. Okay, maybe the sand bed can stay if it isn't too deep. It would be a lot of work. Say 2 guys most of the day to empty and fill the tank and an additional 4 big strong guys for the actual move.

You are on the right track of draining / pumping all the water out, moving it and then pumping it back in. Fill "clean water" tubs for the fish and coral before you start moving rocks. Have lots of new water ready to go and dispose of a bunch of water (the last of what you drain after you start stirring up the sand by taking out rocks) Have air pumps for the fish, a few tubs for live rock and a tank with circulation pumps for the coral.

Good luck

I was planning on doing this here:

Buy 5 55 gallon trash cans at Home Depot.

Unhook sump.

Take return pump and hook it up to a hose.

Take all the rock out and put it into one of the trash cans. I only have a few corals in there now, I could just put them in a 20g tank I have with a power head and a heater and a small wave maker.

Catch all the fish I can and put them into the same 20g tank. They're all small.

Take the return pump, put it into the tank and just pump all the water to each trash can. Should take no time at all.

a glass 220 empty alone is pretty heavy.  if you are going to take all that out you might as well take the sand out too and just do it right the first time.  I don't think the carpet sliders will hold up to the weight of the sand, tank, sump and stand and will probably just crush. 

a glass 220 empty alone is pretty heavy.  if you are going to take all that out you might as well take the sand out too and just do it right the first time.  I don't think the carpet sliders will hold up to the weight of the sand, tank, sump and stand and will probably just crush. 

That's my concern. The sliders have to present substantial surface area (in excess of what the stand is already providing) to bring the pounds per square inch down a lot. Otherwise, they may just be driven down into the carpet too deeply to be effective. It may work if you can get enough surface area to float the rest of the stand above the carpet to reduce the drag. If 4 sliders don't do the job, then maybe 8 or more. That was the idea of laying rails down - to reduce the friction. Sliders will do the same thing as long as they're not crushed or driven deeply into the carpet to where they're ineffective.

The problem is, unless you're sure the approach is going to work, you're left with the possibility of having to replan on the fly, set everything back up as it was, or - in the worst case - a disaster to contend with if the tank breaks. That's an awful lot of tank to move partially filled.

Maybe it's easier to must move the wall behind it? :happy:

That's my concern. The sliders have to present substantial surface area (in excess of what the stand is already providing) to bring the pounds per square inch down a lot. Otherwise, they may just be driven down into the carpet too deeply to be effective. It may work if you can get enough surface area to float the rest of the stand above the carpet to reduce the drag. If 4 sliders don't do the job, then maybe 8 or more. That was the idea of laying rails down - to reduce the friction. Sliders will do the same thing as long as they're not crushed or driven deeply into the carpet to where they're ineffective.

The problem is, unless you're sure the approach is going to work, you're left with the possibility of having to replan on the fly, set everything back up as it was, or - in the worst case - a disaster to contend with if the tank breaks. That's an awful lot of tank to move partially filled.

Maybe it's easier to must move the wall behind it? :happy:

Unfortunately, moving the wall isn't possible. Something about house falling down if I do..

I was thinking, what if I get steel pipe and use it as rollers? Don't think PVC would hold up, but if I get a bunch of steel pipe pieces, should roll right to the new spot

Unfortunately, moving the wall isn't possible. Something about house falling down if I do..

I was thinking, what if I get steel pipe and use it as rollers? Don't think PVC would hold up, but if I get a bunch of steel pipe pieces, should roll right to the new spot

If it's not one thing, it's another, eh? We don't want the house falling down. (It was not a serious suggestion anyway.)

The rollers may work if you have enough in place. In that case, you'll have a lot of pressure where the pipe meets the stand. The other problem is, if the roller pushes deeply into the carpet, it probably won't easily roll. If that's the case, if the stand moves, you'll be sliding it along the top of the rollers. Which, in the end, is really no different than any of the friction-reducing methods named here (wooden rails, sliders, etc.).

Of course, you know the right way to do this empty the tank completely before trying to move it. The lighter you can make it, the more chance you have at succeeding. If you can avoid moving it altogether, don't.

If it simply must be moved, then empty as much as possible (water and rocks) and try 4 or 8  or 10 or more big furniture (4" or larger) sliders.

Just looking at this as an engineer and not as one who's ever moved a tank of that size even partially filled,but only when empty: A 4" slider should give you close to 12 square inches of surface area. Assuming that the bottom of your 6-foot stand is lined with 2x4's on the bottom and the filled weight is, say 2500 - 3000 pounds, the stand is probably contacting the carpet across at least 300 square inches right now for a loading of about 8.5 - 10 PSI. That's what's digging into your carpet today. If you can drain most of the water out and remove the rock, assuming that the empty tank (220 gallon?) weighs 400 pounds, that you have 500 pounds of damp sand in it, a have a stand that weighs 150 pounds, the weight of all that is still about a 1000 pounds. Thus, using 4 sliders with 12 square inches each results in a higher load PSI over 20 PSI. 8 sliders drops it to about 10 PSI. The lower the PSI, the less pressing into the carpet that you'll see and the easier it should be to slide (though it never may be "easy"). Take the sand out and you'll be down to 5 PSI with 8 sliders. That would *probably* be much more manageable provided the sliders will stay under the stand during the move.