Giant worm of death

cjeffers88

Dear fireworm.

You're pissing me off. One by one my crabs have disappeared. I was so confused and bummed. I loved my little buddies. Thanks to my new reefer (son) I'm up all hours. It was a pleasant surprise seeing a blurry photo of you from daddy and then looking at your cave and seeing ONE OF THE ARMS IF MY CRABS! Murderer. Seriously where the eff did you come from. (Readers he's huge and seems like he's over 1.5 feet. ) this is your eviction notice.

Leave!

Love Chelsea.

ANY IDEAS HOW I CAN GET HIM OUT? Every time we think we're close and can grab him with rings..he's disappeared :/

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try bottle of water and some food. Put it into the tank after light out and wait. GL

-empty bottle

Edited by flooddc

We pulled a fireworm(not a regular bristleworm) that was about 10-12" long from the pvc tunnels my bro had for his shrimp /goby in his 27 cube...he had just fed his nightine crew and it decided to pop its uglya** head out..wrong move on its part..8) so yeah set a tasty trap and gave feeding tweezers ready to snag him quik,theyre fast retreaters when threatened.. Good luck abd happy hunting..

I would hope it's not a bobbit worm. It has. The dray brown gray color and the red lining of a fire worm. Our fish haven't disappeared...yet. It's more random tips of corals are gone or corals are so disturbed they start to STN.

What type of food should I put in the bottle? Also what are the chances of instead of the fireworm I end up getting a fish stuck o.o?

I had a worm that I suspected was a bobbit worm in an old tank. Corals were munched on, specifically zoas. I ended up removing the live rock and drying that piece out.....after that all corals thrived.

What type of food should I put in the bottle? Also what are the chances of instead of the fireworm I end up getting a fish stuck o.o?

I prefer a jar because of the wide mouth. When it's put in tipped, fish can swim out but worm gets stuck because of the slippery glass.

As for food, crab chunks sound like a good choice. :) Anything really - clam, shrimp, etc.

As for food, crab chunks sound like a good choice. :)

Haha, but it might be sick of crab by now ;)

Good luck with this. From my experience the "glass bottle with food in it" trick is the only way to catch worms in a tank. They are just too good at sensing you coming at them with tweezers. 

Wah! After more searching and research it looks like we do have a Bobbit worm 0.0

And josh estimates ..... That it's around 2 ft

Anyone wanna .... Grab it ?! Lol

With that size and worm in mind, I would be concerned a trap wont work because only part of him will end up in the jar/bottle/whatever. Just a thought.

So,

To reply to everyone

1. As much as we'd love to just throw the rock out, he's found home in one if our main structure rocks that's home to a number of beautiful corals.

2. If only a 2 liter could fit!

3. I will take tons and tons of pictures.

4. Not going to try to trap it just in case he decides to try to spilt in half etc .. One is enough 0.0

5. Sharkey18 thank you for the offer, is it weird that this challenge excites me? I want to get him ...and all of him, and I wouldn't want you to drive all the way out here. I have two great wamas members who are related/live with me that could help out... Aka since most of the corals on the rock belong to josh he wants to be super careful etc.

6. Sadly no auction. We have promised the lovely worm to a family member,

:) I'm waiting for he lights to go off so I can go hunting again haha

Thanks for all the help and support.

We're going to try to get him with tongs and if it fails

We plan on chiseling the rock to expose him but keep the corals safe.

Thank you"

This worm has been a pain. He is a bobbit for sure and has been terrorizing our SPS tank for a long time in the shadows. We have had peppermint shrimp getting ripped in half, emerald crabs with only a few remaining limbs, zoas seam to disappear at random, acro colonies have their tips dug out to get out the axial coralites.

I caught him last night munching on the little remaining GSP in the tank and he "tail" was still in his burrow and he was stretched out around 18"-24". He could be longer. He is over 1/2" thick.

Our poor display might have to come apart to get him out... so many rocks fused together by so many acros.. :sad:

1546044_10153712293420595_1640766268_n.j