can anyone drill the bottom of my 300DD for a closed loop?

goodreeef

I'd offer to help as I've drilled a few holes and enjoy it and want to see your in-wall build which sounds cool, but I would be terrified to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of this very expensive piece of glass.  I think if you get anyone to help you they will want you to do the drilling while they advise so if it pops they don't feel as guilty.

Just needed to check. According to this thread at Marineland the 300DD does not have tempered panels. So it should drill reasonably easily.

I could get the bits....One more question the bottom panel of glass sits on a piece of plywood...This plywood will not cause the diamond bit to catch and chip the tank will it? This makes me nervous, and I am not willing to take the chance unless the person doing is ABSOLUTELY sure it can be done without chipping,cracking the tank?

I could get the bits....One more question the bottom panel of glass sits on a piece of plywood...This plywood will not cause the diamond bit to catch and chip the tank will it? This makes me nervous, and I am not willing to take the chance unless the person doing is ABSOLUTELY sure it can be done without chipping,cracking the tank?

I would think you would want to remove the tank off the stand/plywood before drilling these holes.  You will need water surrounding the holes to keep the bit cool and you will probably want to keep the plywood dry.  Regarding your last statement, there are many people with a lot of experience drilling holes, but I don't think anyone can give you absolute assurances that something won't or can't happen.  There is always some risk in drilling the tank, no matter how small.  As Alan said, I think you should do it yourself and have someone coach you along.  I'm saying this because what if something does happen to the tank?  Is the person drilling the hole liable?

I would think you would want to remove the tank off the stand/plywood before drilling these holes.  You will need water surrounding the holes to keep the bit cool and you will probably want to keep the plywood dry.  Regarding your last statement, there are many people with a lot of experience drilling holes, but I don't think anyone can give you absolute assurances that something won't or can't happen.  There is always some risk in drilling the tank, no matter how small.  As Alan said, I think you should do it yourself and have someone coach you along.  I'm saying this because what if something does happen to the tank?  Is the person drilling the hole liable?

I completely agree with PK3. If you want "absolute" assurance, don't drill it.

If you do drill on bottom, go with a hole for schedule 80 bulkhead.  The extra threads will help you sleep better.  Mine was made by Oceanic back in 2005 & they drilled it where they said was "popular" on bottom & only did holes for schedule 40.  So far it has not leaked, but I'm very cautious to mess around with the bulkheads and closed loop plumbing under the tank. 

Not that there aren't pros/cons to closed loop systems...but I think with the advancement in power heads, they are a bit outdated...i would not add more holes to such a big tank at this stage..

Drill it. Simple task. I drilled 6 holes in the back of my 210 6 years ago. No silly power heads in my tank.

go to youtube and you can see several different ways to do it. Get a cheap used tank and practice a few holes.

The wood below the tank if directly in contact with the glass will not cause it to chip and actually helps prevent the drill/core from pushing out prematurely and causing any chips. The real issue would be water used in the drilling process will end up on the stand once you drill through so it would be best to remove the tank or place dunnage under it lift it up enough to allow towels to be placed under the tank so water used during the drilling doesn't hurt the wood below.

I have drilled hunderds of holes while working for Ocea Aquariums making tanks. I've taught several members in the club how to do it and I've never cracked a tank. However, I will be not be liable for your tank and I can't say absolutely that you might not have a chip, things can happen. Normally some minor chipping happens but it doesn't affect the bulkhead seal.

Have you decided what size/type of bulkhead you want, where you want the holes, and how many?

go to youtube and you can see several different ways to do it. Get a cheap used tank and practice a few holes.

I think this is the best course of action.  Once you do a few, you will see how truly easy it is and will wonder why you were so scared of doing it in the first place.

Practice on a 10g tank.  If you can drill it 20 times without breaking consider yourself trained.  Thin glass is harder to drill.

Diamond bit, putty, water, and patience.  Go slow and steady let the bit do the work.  Five to eight minutes per hole.

Five to eight minutes per hole.

if taking much longer, time to use a new bit. on thicker glass these chinese diamond bits go pretty quick so get a couple/few for lots of holes to make the process less tiresome and the holes smooth and clean.

I'd like to see someone drill 20 holes in the same 10g tank without breaking it. I agree though, thin glass is what you should practice on but when you drill thicker glass, you can use more pressure. Anyone wishing to get their tank drilled should do it themselves. It's a basic skill that should be part of your reef knowledge.

Very easy with the right tools and kind of hard to mess up unless you're really not very careful to begin with.

Practice on a 10g tank.  If you can drill it 20 times without breaking consider yourself trained.  Thin glass is harder to drill.

Diamond bit, putty, water, and patience.  Go slow and steady let the bit do the work.  Five to eight minutes per hole.

I'd like to see someone drill 20 holes in the same 10g tank without breaking it. I agree though, thin glass is what you should practice on but when you drill thicker glass, you can use more pressure. Anyone wishing to get their tank drilled should do it themselves. It's a basic skill that should be part of your reef knowledge.

Very easy with the right tools and kind of hard to mess up unless you're really not very careful to begin with.

20 holes in one ten gallon is challenging, however there are 5 sides.   :laugh:

thanks guys, i think i have decided not to drill it after all, too much of a a pain to get it off stand,remove wainscot,etc.

Where is the fun in that.  Just kidding, you made the right choice.