Super low alk and a hanna checker, questions and concerns

YHSublime

So I recently purchased an Alkalinity Hanna Checker, and decided to give it a go today for the first time. It read 105, which I grabbed Tom's converstion chart, and checked, means that my dkH is at 5.88!

Couldn't believe it, so I tried again. 105. Must be true, or should I try again?

My sps is looking good, but that's pretty low for alkalinity. I think I'm going to do a 40 gallon water change, and test again, it's been a while since a water change anyways.

Question: The hanna checker is pretty explicit about making sure there are no fingerprints dirt, etc. on the vial. Does everybody just rinse with water and let it dry?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have a salifert test around?

I don't, that's why I opted for the hanna checker, as I've been usin API. I'm upgrading everything as I go. 5.88 seems phenominaly low, right?

Any advice on the rinsing of the vial?

Are you dosing today? My alk was in that range before I started 2 part. I would do your wc and see where you are and then start bringing it up slowly. You could check your wc water too to see if its you or the water :) It seems though you may be at the point that supplementing is required.

I would def do a double check with a salifert, but with sps and no dosing it definitely could in fact be that low.  Test your freshly mixed water, salinity, and everything else as a baseline.

You may find your Mag low as well if you are not dosing that yet.

I do rinse mine and air dry it. When I fill to test I fill and dump multiple times to make sure there is no residual impurities in the vial. Once I cap the vial I dry and wipe off with a cloth and look through it with a light on the other side.

Are you dosing today? My alk was in that range before I started 2 part. I would do your wc and see where you are and then start bringing it up slowly. You could check your wc water too to see if its you or the water :) It seems though you may be at the point that supplementing is required.

No dosing yet, this is all in prep for dosing! I'm going to check my WC water, that's a good idea. I just tested again, and it read 99, which is not even on the chart.

What's your pH?

Checking now.

i dont use the alk meter but do use the low range phosphate...and I rinse the vial with ro when done...

Yeah, I just rinsed with ro, letting it air dry.

I would def do a double check with a salifert, but with sps and no dosing it definitely could in fact be that low.  Test your freshly mixed water, salinity, and everything else as a baseline.

You may find your Mag low as well if you are not dosing that yet.

No salifert to check against, just API, may try that though and see. Looks like I'll be testing tonight.

I do rinse mine and air dry it. When I fill to test I fill and dump multiple times to make sure there is no residual impurities in the vial. Once I cap the vial I dry and wipe off with a cloth and look through it with a light on the other side.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, thanks!

Fresh mixed bucket of SW is reading at 10.20 dkH

Testing the tank again, one last time.

My dkH used to be around 6.2-6.5. I would slowly bring it up to 7ish via dosers. When I asked people about my low alk, I was told not to be concerned as for sps you're aiming for stable/consistent levels and not just chasing numbers.

Yeah, just tested the tank again, it's the same as before, just a little higher, at 108. Consistency is working for me it seems.

holy cow isaac

you need to sloooooowly bring that up..

Seems that way. Do you think a 40 gallon water change on almost 200 gallons of water would be too much?

What kind of salt?

I only use Reef Crystals, and the salinity is 1.026 (probably closer to 1.025, but it's at the halfway mark)

Yeah, just tested the tank again, it's the same as before, just a little higher, at 108. Consistency is working for me it seems.

Seems that way. Do you think a 40 gallon water change on almost 200 gallons of water would be too much?

consistency is definitely key but man that is low ...

I do about that weekly so I don't think it is too much

RC right?

strange thing is, I have added acros, and they have done fine after dips and getting dropped into the tank... what is consistent for me is obviously not for others, if those readings are acurate, which they seem to be.

I only use Reef Crystals, and the salinity is 1.026 (probably closer to 1.025, but it's at the halfway mark)

It should be b/t 11&12 Alk with Reef Crystals.  I would just pick a number like 8 for alk and use the same test for stability.

Was going to say that hanna had a bad batch of alk reagent a while back, but that fresh sw measurement sounds in the ballpark. What has your ph been with alk that low?

40g won't hurt anything. I think you will find that it won't raise your Alk as much as one would think. I have to do a little baking soda here and there for alk

It should be b/t 11&12 Alk with Reef Crystals.  I would just pick a number like 8 for alk and use the same test for stability.

I just tested with my API kit, FWIW, and it gave me a dkH of 7.

When you say pick a number like 8, you mean as a number to bring up to and keep at?

Was going to say that hanna had a bad batch of alk reagent a while back, but that fresh sw measurement sounds in the ballpark. What has your ph been with alk that low?

7.8- 8 via API, FWIW.

what is your calcium and PH?

Calcium is low, just tested and it's at 380! PH above, at about 8.

40g won't hurt anything. I think you will find that it won't raise your Alk as much as one would think. I have to do a little baking soda here and there for alk

I think I'm going to do 40 gallons.

Calibrate your refractometer as well to ensure everything is accurate.

I am saying 8 just because I think it's a good number.  As some others have said the end goal is stability.  Stick with the same test kit brand and aim for a constant number.