How many tanks have you had in the past 10 years?

smallreef

So...my husband just berated me about having this, now 4th tank. Why I didn't just keep the last 150g instead going back and forth between all the tanks. Yards yards yadda, he knows I would have been the happiest keeping it...yeah...(He's forgetting about the very first tank that was a 35g custom so my number is really 5)

So I started with a 35g(2005-2008) then went to a 150g(2007-2011)then to a 14g cube(2008-2013)then we moved here and I set up the 50g(2012-2013)and lastly at the 150g again(2013)....

So..I know it's not just me...how many have you had...????

Edited:wrong dates,lol

Edited by smallreef

Not counting the auxiliary tanks off of the main system, five total. 90 (system included a sump only), 180 (system included a large sump, frag tank, a refugium tank, and a mantis shrimp tank), Biocube 24, RSM130, & 210 (includes a large sump, frag tank, anemone tank & macro tank - so far). I have a small JBJ on the shelf right now that I may set up one day.

what's the rule on this, you take the real number divide it by 2 and add 1? or wait was that something else? i'm at 4  smiley-angelic002.gif

Edited by monkiboy

5 is my number. But that is only including the tanks that I've begun to setup or transferred.

125 reef, a 5 gallon planted freshwater, and a 39 high waiting to be set up for freshwater angelfish.

I've had over 10, Currently I have 3. My 55 fresh, 75 reef, and 20 frag. At one point I had a tank in every room of an apartment. Although I'm glad to be down to 3 I miss some of the diversity I had with several more :)

What hobbies does he have? Can you start nit picking how many guns- tools- golf clubs- he has?

Tell him Happy Wife= Happy Life

I've had over 10, Currently I have 3. My 55 fresh, 75 reef, and 20 frag. At one point I had a tank in every room of an apartment. Although I'm glad to be down to 3 I miss some of the diversity I had with several more :)

What hobbies does he have? Can you start nit picking how many guns- tools- golf clubs- he has?

Tell him Happy Wife= Happy Life

Yeah I know right...I said....you have a very nice compound bow and hunting rifle that have NEVER killed a thing for me to eat...plus he goes and does things like the survival trial $$, mountain climbing in which he wants to get up to Alaska $$, and a few other things...

So yeah it's not like he doesn't have expensive hobbies...but mine are alive which I think throws him off,lol

Wow Kim, you hadda ask?  The past ten years...which would be 2003.  The freshwater I remember and a couple I still have:

Several 2g jars

one 4g ADA 45F

two 4g cubes

one 5g

two 10g

one 12g long

three 20g longs

one 26g bow

one 29g

one 30g cube

one 72g bow

two 75g

one 120g fatboy

one 125g

Saltwater:

one 72g bow which quickly upgraded to a

one 120g fat boy

20g long

the current 60g rimless

Last summer I "right" sized, currently I have:

2g jar fw - guppies but will eventually house white cloud minnows

one 4g ADA 45F fw - betta/RCS

two 4g cubes FW - betta

one 12g long FW - tropical fish

75g fw angel/tetra that will be broken down next month

75g fw rimless that will house above 75g

60g reef

So I'll be down to 7, maybe 8 tanks as I just inherited a 2.6g aio from truaqua, they sent a black rimmed tank, I ordered white, plus one clip was broken.  So they sent me the white tank (for my daughters betta tank at college) and let me keep the black tank.  I'm mulling over what to do with it.  Another betta tank (the easiest) or a pico sw......

Done editing, even if I remember more.....lol

Edited by londonloco

Lol...well and what is amazing to me is the people that have only been in the hobby less than 5 years have already had 4 or 5 tanks...so I'm not in the minority...my husband doesn't get that...it's interesting to see what people(who haven't had to move 7 times in the last 12 years) do when they are in the same place....

The best part is I sold the last 150g because we were moving cross country...and didn't think the movers would move it, according to their website (of course found out later that they would have...too little too late)

I've had seven tanks but made a few moves and deployments during the last ten years which caused me to shut tanks down. So I had a 125g, then nothing for two years, then a 75g, moved and got another 125g, then two 120g, moved again and set up a 210g, upgraded that to 600g.

Edit: I only counted display tanks above and totally forgot about frag systems and QT's, if counting those too then add in 6 x 40GB, 3 x 20GL, and a 75g

I've had seven tanks but made a few moves and deployments during the last ten years which caused me to shut tanks down. So I had a 125g, then nothing for two years, then a 75g, moved and got another 125g, then two 120g, moved again and set up a 210g, upgraded that to 600g.

I take it your done moving Doug?

I can't wait till we move back to WA and decide where we are retiring...either there, Alaska(now in contention, that will make it hard to keep a tank!), or Idaho...

We had a 55 saltwater in Tacoma Wa. for 3 years. Moved here had 2 1g betta tanks for about a year, and now just set up a 150g, 55g and 10g saltwater.

Do I really have to do this???  The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

It's not a "problem" - it's simply a quest to become the worlds expert in setting up & taking down tanks

(see, it's all about the viewpoint.................being a married man I figured you'd know how to spin this stuff :laugh: )

Me? Last ten years? One tank.

(see Steve, aint' anyone asking about stuff attached to the tank)

I started in Feb 2010 and have had 3 tanks:  

9 Gallon BiUbe from Feb 2010 to Jan 2011

8.6 Gallon ADA-60f from Jan 2011 to Feb 2013

83g Miracles Rimless from Jan 2013 to present

I definitely jumped up a little bit in size  :laugh:

I have only had one tank in the last ten years, actually the last 30 years.  At one time I had 14 tanks but they had shrimps, crabs, mantis shrimp, turtles, or baby fish.

I've only been in the game about two years if that but I'm on my fourth tank.  Started with 5G FW, 55G FW, 20L FOWLR no sump, then my current tank which is the only one running; 40B W/20H sump.  Keep me busy enough but doesn't rule my entire life......i think. :-)

Isolating the question only to reef tanks, not freshwater...

I started in 1998 with a 55g (and 10g). I upgraded to a 125g in 2000.  I upgraded to a 150g in 2002.  I upgraded to a 240g in 2004ish.  Then I took a break from the hobby for a while.  And now I have a 180g.  Somewhere in the middle I had a 35g hex seahorse tank and a 25g angler tank.

Added to that I used to breed seahorses and clownfish and at one point in time, I had a rack of 6x20g tanks, 10x10g, 4x5g in the basement.

I think just go ahead and include Paul, as long as you can include Steve's count too!

In the past 10 years...

75 Gallon w/ Rubbermaid Sump

58 Gallon w/ Rubbermaid Sump

29 Gallon BioCube

93 Gallon w/ 20 gallon Frag Tank and 20 gallon sump

200 Gallon w/ 45 gallon frag tank and 75 gallon sump

I think you're right on target! :laugh:

I think just go ahead and include Paul, as long as you can include Steve's count too!

If we're doing statistics we'd have toss both of them as outliers :laugh:  Graph that out & any reasonable person would see they're so far out they have to be discounted.

Edited by ErikS