What do you do with your RO-DI water ??

TheyCallMeMr.703

More specifically, What do you do with the Rejected Water???
   I'm curious to hear what Everyone does. I'm curious because, I know there is a Considerable amount...
   So What do you do with yours??, Collect it, if so, How?? and What do you do with it?? or do you Just Plumb to the Drain, lol. CareFree. LessToDealWith.lol.
   Curious to hear what you all got goin' on...

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

get pissed everytime I see my water bill.  I am in the GB for a 100 gal container to hold the wastewater and am planning to use it for the washing machine and gardening.

ummm, water the soil year round!!!!  I live on base and I don't pay for my water.  I fill up my 32 gallon trash can and use that for a while until it runs out.  VERY LUCKY GUY HERE!!! 

Loving the Washing Machine Idea's. I've seen different ways'. How do you all do yours'???

I'm curious on this too. Do you just pour the water into the machine? I have a front load, so if that's the case, I assume this won't work for me.

I have a 15 gallon drum I use to water my inside plants and outside plants year around. It has an overflow tied into my basement sump which ends up watering the grass in my common area. My neighbors wonder why it's always wet and to my luck my townhouse is the lowest of all four in my strip. I say I catch all their water and it runs all the time. I also dump my freshwater tank water changes outside to fertilize plants. They probably think I grow weed with all the containers I'm dumping outside :)

I'm curious on this too. Do you just pour the water into the machine? I have a front load, so if that's the case, I assume this won't work for me.

Yeah no working for you....

So...top loaders you can just have it go inside...

I collect mine in a Rubbermaid and water my herb garden and front yard with mine..(my front yard is 3ft. By 6ft,lol)

During the winter...down the drain it goes...

(edited)

I have a 15 gallon drum I use to water my inside plants and outside plants year around. It has an overflow tied into my basement sump which ends up watering the grass in my common area. My neighbors wonder why it's always wet and to my luck my townhouse is the lowest of all four in my strip. I say I catch all their water and it runs all the time. I also dump my freshwater tank water changes outside to fertilize plants. They probably think I grow weed with all the containers I'm dumping outside :)

Still better then Selling Corals all the time. People always come over carrying a Cooler, and Leave with a smile on their face, Or worse. If they have nothing at all, They Leave, With this Plastic Bag... Walking Back to the Car... hahaha.

Got the BEST look from some guy that was walking by about 2 months ago, as someone walked down my driveway carrying a Plastic Bag, with a Grin upon their face. He Immediately stopped, Looked over and Gave me... The " I know, What You're doin'...."Look"  0.o  ". hahaha.lol :blast:   

Couldn't help but look over, Smile and give him a thumbs up as I nodded my head. :)  :drink:

It's pretty cool, to see How many Reefer's also, like Botany as well... Kinda; go Hand-In-Hand, Huh???

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

Yeah no working for you....

So...top loaders you can just have it go inside...

I collect mine in a Rubbermaid and water my herb garden and front yard with mine..(my front yard is 3ft. By 6ft,lol)

During the winter...down the drain it goes...

Oh well. I was afraid of that. I guess it's back to drilling the house to run water outside.

I did some research a while back but don't quote me on this...

You have to set up  your water storage container higher than your washer so it is gravity fed. This gravity fed water will provide similar pressure as if the water was coming from your pressure pipe. The washer has it's own solenoid valve that opens and closes when it needs to fill the drum up. I like the idea but not sure I have room for a container that close to the washer. I have a front loader too.

Edit..i'm sure it's the same for a top loader too.

Edited by howaboutme

For those of you filling up barrels to water plants/grass with, do you have your "waste" line running outside?

I run the black reject rodi water to the top loading wash machine. The black reject rodi line fits nicely in the wash machine holes in the basket. I set a timer on my phone to remind me when to take the black line out of the wash and shove it down the wash drain till it's secure. This is not a good practice if you have nice floors (luckily mine is in basement) I had my phone on silent once and some water overflowed since I could not hear the alarm. I get a lot more waste water than rodi so it fill quicker. I'd say 2:1 ratio.

For those of you filling up barrels to water plants/grass with, do you have your "waste" line running outside?

I have a drain valve to my waste reservoir and carry buckets of water outside. I have also used it to make coffee too

Here's an older thread with some ideas:  http://wamas.org/forums/topic/22890-diro-machine-waste-water-uses

As for me, this summer I felt very guilt free about the RO/DI.  Without going into all the details, I had to grow about 15,000 square feet of grass in my yard this summer.  If you can imagine, that's quite a bit of lawn to have to water every day (sometimes 2x a day when really hot).  To make things worse, I'm on a well so that's a lot of drinking water lost.

To help with this, I set up a few large rubbermaid stock tanks and ran my RO waste line out to them.  The tanks were also strategically placed under some clogged rain gutters on my roof.  I also bought a sump pump from home depot to generate enough water pressure to drive the sprinklers.

Between the water changes, natural rain,and the overflowing the gutters, I was able to keep the bins pretty full.  I'd say I only had to resort to using water from the faucet once every 4-5 days.  Granted I did a lot more water changes this summer than normal but my tank needed it. 

My wife thought I was crazy with my Rube Golderberg watering system but it was great!

In the summer it either goes into the pool to top it off or goes into a barrel with a pump and is used for the garden, shrubs, washing cars, just about anything we need water outside for. When the barrel is full it goes into the down spout and into the woods. I also use the waste water for my QT system top off and water change, just add a de-chlorinator to it.

In the summer it either goes into the pool to top it off or goes into a barrel with a pump and is used for the garden, shrubs, washing cars, just about anything we need water outside for. When the barrel is full it goes into the down spout and into the woods. I also use the waste water for my QT system top off and water change, just add a de-chlorinator to it.

That's a great idea...will start to use mine for hot tub....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk