Ed's 180 rebuild

Shoelace

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I thought it looked short at first too, but the last picture shows that you have a good height.

Nice job on the 'scape. I think I dislike placing my rocks more than anything. It's so difficult for me to put in the tank what I envision in my head!

I found the most helpful things to remember with aquascaping, are don't be afraid to break rocks to get the shapes you want, and just because you have a rock doesn't mean you have to use it. Less can be more.

I agree with Bowiereefer about removing that rock going along the back wall towards the right and it will be perfect.

Looks like you're off to a great start :)

I like it a lot. I agree with Mike's suggestion as well, but either way, I think it's looking really good.

I totally dig the idea of what Mike said. I measured things out and the left peak is too far to the left. I will take out some of the back rocks and move the whole left side a little to the right. After things sort of fit into place, I'm going to fit things better with a hammer and chisel.

i'm really digging it, too but is there any way to create some openings in the two islands? the left larger structure seems to be almost a solid mound of rocks and having a few openings that fish can swim through and hide and allow flowing to work through will be very beneficial. maybe just stack or arrange them in a way that is less like puzzle pieces and creates more voids with the same general outside shape that already looks really good.

Draft #2: I tried to expand things and create some caves.  I'm having problems in that when I do this, it looks more like a pile of rocks.  :wacko:

photo_zps9bba0b23.jpg

photo4_zps04822553.jpg

photo3_zps0c447561.jpg

photo2_zps7b761768.jpg

Draft #2: I tried to expand things and create some caves.  I'm having problems in that when I do this, it looks more like a pile of rocks.  :wacko:

Does that sentence help when you rephrase it to say, "...it looks more like a pile of corals"??? :)

Looks nice! Don't overthink it.

ok my 2 cents....those little rocks that jet off the structures are too matchy matchy...its like you are drawing straight lines off your rock walls...me no like that. But I do like the new caves and swim throughs...

ok my 2 cents....those little rocks that jet off the structures are too matchy matchy...its like you are drawing straight lines off your rock walls...me no like that. But I do like the new caves and swim throughs...

+1. I like the caves and the structure on the left, but there is a lot of symmetry all the way down, like each jutting rock is every 8". It's all subjective, but I'd say you are almost there!

Show us a picture from eye level looking at the tank as if you were standing in front of it.

I think it looks perfect the way it is. Lots of places for sps. You're probably not going to be able to keep your hands out of it changing stuff around the first month it's filled so I wouldn't worry about it being perfect. This is going to be a sweet tank.

Does that sentence help when you rephrase it to say, "...it looks more like a pile of corals"??? :)

Looks nice! Don't overthink it.

You are so right.  When I look at a lot of aquascapes on line, after the corals fill in, a lot of these rock details that I'm fixating on disappear.

...little rocks that jet off the structures are too matchy matchy.

...like each jutting rock is every 8".

I took a step back and realized that I did that.  Me no likey either.  I gotta fix that!

Thanks for your comments, everyone.  Your suggestions have been very helpful.

I think it looks perfect the way it is. Lots of places for sps. You're probably not going to be able to keep your hands out of it changing stuff around the first month it's filled so I wouldn't worry about it being perfect. This is going to be a sweet tank.

You bring up a really good point.  I was going to break out the epoxy and fix some of the higher rocks in place, but perhaps I should give in to my need for constant tinkering and keep things separate for now.  Like many things in life, I have to realize nothing is really permanent except for death and taxes.

isaac and I are obligated...we got you into this mess LOL....

thank everyone else ;)

*Takes a bow*

Haven't had much time to work on the tank today, but I think I got rid of the "matchy matchy" stuff.  I found the right side view pretty cool:

PC010059_zpscb0b3fee.jpg

Did you get in on the evergrows? I am eager to watch this grow!