Ed's 180 rebuild

Shoelace

Did you get in on the evergrows? I am eager to watch this grow!

Sure did. Can't wait. If we indeed get them by the 16th, I will be so psyched!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Panoramic shot of my recent work:

photo_zpsce55581b.jpg

Ikea cabinet for Apex

Bean Animal to filtersock

Aqua UV to BRS dual reactor

ASM G3

Fuge

BRS 1.1 dosers

Eheim 1262

Tunze Osmolator

Mixing stations

More pix after dinner :)

Left side of 40G Long sump.  Tank is cycling with Dr. Tim's so skimmer and filter sock are off.  There is a Cobalt MJ1200 that feeds the UV that goes into the BRS reactor.  I know the ASM is old and crusty, but it's tried and true.  When I added the salt, it already started collecting gunk.  I guess inorganic fine particle schmutz from the reefsaver rock and the salt mix.

PC220062_zps3c0c6e6f.jpg

The right side of the sump has my Eheim return and my Tunze Osmolator.  I couldn't find a plastic ATO container that would fit the space, so I had to fork out for a 20H.  I'm actually glad I did because it will be easy to clean, won't bow, etc.  I won't be using the BRS dosing pumps for a while, but I wanted to install them from the beginning.  The IKEA undercabinet LED lights are psychedelic and can turn different colors.  Totally useless, but way cool.

PC220061_zpsc65c31a4.jpg

Edited by Shoelace

When my reef was setup before, I remember a very thin salt film building up on things over time in the tank room.  So I decided to house the Apex and stuff in a raised Ikea cabinet.  Of course, I have some wire management to do.  (Did I ever mention I hate wires?)

PC220059_zps6f82b2b2.jpg

Edited by Shoelace

Looks great. Now where is a FTS now that it is filled? :)

Edited by Orion

Here is my sink and water changing area.  The raised Brute is for fresh.  Because I've always been nervous about drilling a hole and putting a uniseal on the bottom of these curved trash cans, I decided everything is going over the top.  The freshwater goes around the sink to either the lower Brute for saltwater mixing or to my ATO container by way of ball valves.  The fresh water has a bulkhead to overflow into the sink in case the float valve fails (and I hear they do :( )

PC220065_zps107ccad2.jpg

PC220068_zps987ffc00.jpg

The salt mixing Brute has a couple of ball valves so water can either recirc or go back up into the DT.  I originally wanted to do water changes from out of the sump, but because of the small overflow volume and the baffles, I can't get enough out of the sump for a good sized water change, so water has to come by siphon out of the DT.

PC220066_zps9ea45494.jpg

PC220067_zps9bc4668e.jpg

The tank room is long and narrow which is why I could only take a panoramic iPhone shot of the full sump.  Here is the tank shot down the length.

I just hope Santa can bring me the group buy lights before Christmas!!!  :unsure:

PC220069_zpscf130bd1.jpg

Edited by Shoelace

This is looking really really clean.  Nice setup.  Having room behind a tank must be so nice.

Thanks Mike.  It's really convenient to have the space!

I'm heeding people's advice and saving a space for a Q tank and a maybe a fragtank on a double "bunkbed" stand.

PC220064_zpsc4b2b85c.jpg

Looks great. Now where is a FTS now that it is filled? :)

Thanks, Ryan.  I can't say that I'm overjoyed with my aquascape, but I'm pretty sure things are going to move around a bit when I get frags on large rocks, etc., so I'm finally out of my obsessing phase.  I know you may be going through that, but it, too, shall pass :laugh:

PC220065_zpsd212eeed.jpg

PC220062_zps6496259d.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing. Nice bass, too. I like those inlays.

Thanks.  The fact you know it's a bass and not just a "geetar" kicks you up a notch!  :clap:

Music and reef... they go together and make life great!! i am an acoustic guitar lover~. :)

Outstanding!  We need a WAMAS jam session at the next meeting.  Sort of like at the end of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductions.

Looking good! How bout a FTS with the lights!?

I'm still putzing with the aquascape.  I need Jenn to bully me some more.  :ph34r:

PC240058_zps3eedc7a8.jpg