Kalk Reactor Build Party

Folta

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to say thank you to Chip for allowing us all to use his shop and break his tools. We successfully made 9 kalk reactors today in 5 hours that looked pretty sweet i must say!Thanks CHIP! :77:

The Kalk Reactor came out great! Can't wait to put in on-line. Thank you Chip for your hospitality! It was good deal of fun. Looking forward to the next build party.

-Rob

Thanks Chip, for the use of your time and shop.

Thanks Tim, for putting the build together.

Thanks Jeff, for your expertise.

Garrett.

Glad I could help. I thought it was a lot of fun! The end price was very nice, and I think the units came out looking really good. I also learned alot of things for future builds.

Chip, thank you for your hospitality. We couldn't have done it without you. It's a shame about the router though - one thought I had on my way home was that maybe acrylic pieces got inside the motor part? It would be great if the club could spring for a new one, as your router burned up in a club activity. If not, my offer still stands to help chip in for a new one since I was there using the router at the party :)

Jeff, thanks for bringing the sheet acrylic pieces, glue, and expertise.

It was great meeting the new faces and seeing the old ones again! I only hope the club can continue doing projects like this - both for getting cheap equipment as well as promoting just getting together!

B)

Tim and Chip, thanks for setting this up and letting us invade your...cozy...shop. I had a good time meeting everyone and swapping reef tales when we weren't busy turning sheets of acrylic into noise and dust. I don't know that other clubs put together events like this, and I think it's something that makes our club/community special. Thanks again.

Happy reefing,

Jon

Big thanks to Tim for organizing and chasing the parts.

Nice seeing Jeff (NAGA) and lots of thanks to him for his help.

Also thanks to everyone for my free pizza lunch and those of you that helped clean up.

I really appreciated it.

You guys came with nothing and left with a finnished kalk reactor.

Now you know why I limited the build to only five people plus me.

Let me know if you have questions hooking up and how it's going.

Ireland,

You are the best!! A great big help and didn't even make one.

Plus, thanks a bunch for the sweet shinny metal. I'll invite you over when I'm done.

I owe you a choice frag.

Thanks Tim

Thanks Jeff

Thanks router.............

I can't complain too much about the router, it's seen as much work as most commercial routers see and saved lots and lots of hobbiests at least several thousands of dollars.

May it rest in the landfill gentley.

I would like to recommend that each of you carefully inspect your reactors top & bottom joints before putting them into service.

If it's currently in service, you might want to inspect them much "sooner than later".

After seeing Neon's reactor joints for the first time up close, I feel there's a real potential for leakage or even failure.

In hindsight, I should have insisted or simply required we cut a groove in the top flange and bottom plate for the tube to ride in.

I did this as a matter of course on the first build and should have for the second.

Having never worked with weldon #4, I was unfamiliar with the particular process and did not have a clue in what to expect.

In Rob's instance, since his had been in service, I simply ran a bead of #16 on the outside of each joint. My first preference would be to run this bead on the inside, but his was wet and kalk coated.

If you have any questions or uncertainties, please send me a PM with a phone number you will answer. I'll follow up as soon as I can.

I believe this to be a freak bonding issue and in no way slighting Jeff and his experience or expertise. He's still going to build my new custom sump.

• 8 months later...

How are these doing? It's been 2 years now.

Mine has worked great and done as I had hoped.

I noticed on one that got damaged and I fixed it for them that the owner had screwed the exit fitting in too far which allows for air to become trapped at the top. This fitting should be flush with the top which allows for air to be purged on the first fill.

My kalk reactor is doing great - no leaks, kalk mixes up well every so often, and seems to be maintaining my calcium, alk, and pH quite well.

DSCF0935.jpg

This is a pic before the input side has a line to the bottom (so that the input water goes down to where the kalkwasser powder is in the bottom, and away from the water that goes out the top to the tank), and a pump in the middle that points down (and goes on every so often to mix the kalk powder up a bit).

If I recall, the total cost of the unit was around $40.

My kalk reactor is doing great - no leaks, kalk mixes up well every so often, and seems to be maintaining my calcium, alk, and pH quite well.

This is a pic before the input side has a line to the bottom (so that the input water goes down to where the kalkwasser powder is in the bottom, and away from the water that goes out the top to the tank), and a pump in the middle that points down (and goes on every so often to mix the kalk powder up a bit).

If I recall, the total cost of the unit was around $40.

If I post pics/dimensions of my Kalk reactor can you give advice on pump and operation points

If I post pics/dimensions of my Kalk reactor can you give advice on pump and operation points

Sure, what would you like to know?

Sure, what would you like to know?

Well Right now the mixing is being done by a MJ 400 thats constantly on, it has a really small pvc ... can think of the size off the top of my head, but about the size of out flow on a small mj 400 power head :lol: any way with the power head mixing it, because it's a power head it does have a secure seal, is there a pump that small that can be used? I don't really want to burry the power head in silicone to make it work.

Ok, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the seal and all. However, it sounds like you have the mixing pump on 24/7? You actually want the kalkwasser to settle to the bottom of the reactor, or at most mix it very very slowly so that it never really kicks up. This is why you also have the input water come in to the bottom and the output water at the top... so the kalkwasser stays in the chamber and only clear water goes to the tank.

What kind of reactor do you have? Do you have pictures of it?