Kalk Reactor Build Party

Folta

I've decided to give this topic its own thread so people won't have to sift through the other thread. This first post is living; I will be updating it with information as time goes by.

The build party for Kalk Reactors will be on Sunday, January 8, 2006 at Chip's House.

The number of reactors we will be able to construct will be 9. Keep in mind that most likely by the end of the day, we still won't be done, so there may be a bit to do after the party. However, clear instructions on just what that is will be given, and there's always the forums to ask if you get stuck :)

The list of people I have for this build party are as follows:

1. flowerseller (Chip) *CONFIRMED

2. Folta (Tim) *CONFIRMED

3. 143Gadgets (Chris) *CONFIRMED

4. phisigs79 (Chris) *CONFIRMED

5. Jon Lazar (Jon) *CONFIRMED

6. Ne0eN (Rob) *CONFIRMED

7. martin (Martin) *CONFIRMED

8. zmalexander (Zac) *CONFIRMED

9. jimcroce21 (Garrett)

Those in queue:

10. Gatortailale (Craig)

11. HowardofNOVA (Howard)

12. Caribbean Jake

13. samc99us (Sam)

Guests:

NAGA (Jeff)

ireland

As we can only make 9 units in this build, we will be accepting the first 9 people that have responded in the previous thread (WTB Kalk Reactor, was the title). If you are interested and not on the list, post to this thread and I can add you to the queue in case an opening comes up. As of this point, though, it looks like we will have a full party.

The list of parts that we will need for this build are as follows (This makes 9 units, including Chips):

3 - 6"x6' clear extruded acrylic tubes.

27 - 8.5" x 8.5" black acrylic squares.*

18 of these squares can be routed into circles**

36 - 2" x 3" acrylic squares*

12' of 3/8 cpvc tube

216 - nylon knurled thumb screws 1/4"x20x3/4"

216 - nylon wang nuts 1/4" x 20

18 - 1/4" push in fittings for tubing

9 - 18" ridgid supply line

9 - liquid tight cord grips for

8 - small powerheads with metal shaft impellers

4oz - #3 weldon acrylic cement

2 big tubes #16 weldon cement

1 - 1/4x20 steel tap and drill

1 - 1/4NPT tap and drill

gasket material for 9 units

Total price is not yet determined; I have not had an opportunity to price any of the materials yet, and there may be some fluctuation in price. If anyone who was in a previous build can chime in for an approximate price tag, that would be nice.

For those who have not yet confirmed that you can arrive and are on the list, please do so as soon as you can! I'd rather not set a cut off date for confirmation, however I would like to give people in queue at least some heads up that they will be or will not be needing to commit the FULL DAY TO THIS BUILD. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you don't have room for me in the actual making of the units, please put me in for the purchase of the materials?

I'll build one later, but would be nice to have the materials to do so now?

Just LMK what I need to prepay for?

Chris is phisigs79 BTW :D

Howard

Howard,

actually the reason for cutting it off at 9, instead of say 10, etc, is that the way the parts are bought, some of them are bought in segments that allow 3 reactors to be built out of them. In other words, to get materials for 10, it would also be enough for 12.

Now, the issue with 12 is that with 9 we're already pushing over the limit of being able to construct these in one day, and people will have 'homework'.

Depending on where we get parts from, there may be the possibility of getting exactly what we need for 10 reactors, but since I've never made purchases for these parts before, I'm not sure how likely that is to be :)

Thanks for the name update, I was wondering if he'd ever get around to telling me!

Guest alex wlazlak

alright with a lot of persuasion, and some thinking i dont really need one. so sam or howard, its all yours. thanks though.

alright with a lot of persuasion, and some thinking i dont really need one. so sam or howard, its all yours. thanks though.

47013[/snapback]

Sorry to hear that Alex.

List has been updated! Sam, Martin, I still need confirmation!

It's a little ways away but, I may be able to attend to help out with the fabrication end. I am an acrylic fabricator by trade and may be able to add to the wealth of knowledge Chip already knows.

About 12 years ago I use to spend plenty of afternoons with Chip in his garage with his gracious wife Sonya feeding us plenty of drinks while we made all kinds of acrylic shavings with our playing around with acrylic. I continued playing around on my own and shortly thereafter got some formal training and have worked in a plastic fabrication shop ever since.

As the date approaches I will know more about being able to attend but, I am 90% certain I can go. Of course that is if it is ok with everyone because I know that when you have a lot of people together in a small space it can get kinda hectic.

LMK,

Jeff

Garrett, I've added you to the queue.

Jeff, I think that'd be great if you were able to come as well. I take it from your post that you're not looking to build a reactor though, correct? As we will only have time/materials for 9 people.

~ Tim

Tim,

What are we looking at for a guesstimate on cost per unit?

If not too bad and Garrett's interested? I might purchase 2 units parts for later construction if that is an option?

Howard

I am not looking to build a reactor, but if possible, would like to try and attend just so that I can see what is involved. I certainly understand if space limitations dictate, but please let me know if that is ok.

As far as how many people can physically be there, Chip's the one who will have to answer as we are going to be doing this build at his place.

Howard, right now I have no idea what the cost will be like. I haven't priced the parts yet, however there might be some people who know how much these typically run about.

I believe the Kalk Reactors ended up running around $80. each with pumps, etc, but I might be off a tad?

I'll be there, I have sundays off.

I've decided to give this topic its own thread so people won't have to sift through the other thread.  This first post is living; I will be updating it with information as time goes by.

The build party for Kalk Reactors will be on Sunday, January 8, 2006 at Chip's House.

The number of reactors we will be able to construct will be 9.  Keep in mind that most likely by the end of the day, we still won't be done, so there may be a bit to do after the party.  However, clear instructions on just what that is will be given, and there's always the forums to ask if you get stuck :)

The list of people I have for this build party are as follows:

1. flowerseller (Chip) *CONFIRMED

2. Folta (Tim) *CONFIRMED

3. 143Gadgets (Chris) *CONFIRMED

4. phisigs79 (Chris) *CONFIRMED

5. Jon Lazar (Jon) *CONFIRMED

6. Ne0eN (Rob) *CONFIRMED

7. martin (Martin)

8. zmalexander (Zac) *CONFIRMED

9. samc99us (Sam)

Those in queue:

10. HowardofNOVA (Howard)

11. jimcroce21 (Garrett)

Special Guest:

NAGA (Jeff)

As we can only make 9 units in this build, we will be accepting the first 9 people that have responded in the previous thread (WTB Kalk Reactor, was the title).  If you are interested and not on the list, post to this thread and I can add you to the queue in case an opening comes up.  As of this point, though, it looks like we will have a full party.

The list of parts that we will need for this build are as follows (This makes 9 units, including Chips):

3 - 6"x6' clear extruded acrylic tubes.

27 - 8.5" x 8.5" black acrylic squares.*

18 of these squares can be routed into circles**

36 - 2" x 3" acrylic squares*

12' of 3/8 cpvc tube

216 - nylon knurled thumb screws 1/4"x20x3/4"

216 - nylon wang nuts 1/4" x 20

18 - 1/4" push in fittings for tubing

9 - 18" ridgid supply line

9 - liquid tight cord grips for

8 - small powerheads with metal shaft impellers

4oz - #3 weldon acrylic cement

2 big tubes #16 weldon cement

1 - 1/4x20 steel tap and drill

1 - 1/4NPT tap and drill

gasket material for 9 units

Total price is not yet determined; I have not had an opportunity to price any of the materials yet, and there may be some fluctuation in price.  If anyone who was in a previous build can chime in for an approximate price tag, that would be nice.

For those who have not yet confirmed that you can arrive and are on the list, please do so as soon as you can!  I'd rather not set a cut off date for confirmation, however I would like to give people in queue at least some heads up that they will be or will not be needing to commit the FULL DAY TO THIS BUILD.  :)

47005[/snapback]

Croce QUICK!!!!

"9. samc99us (Sam)....unconfirmed yet?"

Flatten Sams tires and break his keyboard, then we can move up!!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, Have you guys looking into a group buy yet for the Solenoids, bubble counters, tanks etc yet?

Howard

ireland,

You can come,

Jeff,

It will be great if you can come down on the 8th and help us out.

He's the guy making my new sump but also the guy that drove me to get seroiusly started DIYing mass plastic. He knows a ton.

Tim,

Can you PM me important info or questions because I'm up to my eyeballs right now.

Get me a cell # for you so I can call you one time while I'm on the road.

Howard,

stop right there with that stuff son.

AHHH Heck Chip!

Take out all the fun! :rolleyes:

OK, The doctor said I will be fine!

I'm DO NOT NEED A Kalk Reactor, so take my name off this list!

Insane!

Ahhhhhh doctor said that in my babbling in therapy, I keep saying something about "must attend the CALCIUM building party, must attend the CALCIUM building party".....but then again, that's doctor/patient confidentially! :rolleyes:

BTW, If you want to see MY Kalk Reactor, I'll show it to you sometime!!!! :embarassed: