Kalk Reactor Build Party

Folta

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha... well Erik, more people are invited to come and check things out, however its just a time issue... using the machines necessary, we will only have time for making 9 units...

Chip, is that a complete list of materials, or have you thought of anything else we will need to get? I will start pricing stuff out. Know of a good (cheap, reliable, etc) place that sells the majority of these things? I guess I could start with HD and/or Lowes?

Tim and Chip,

Being the Kalk Reactor will be very similiar to the Calcium Reactor we will be building, could you post on that thread a listing for recommended suppliers to save us some time when it comes time to order our supplies? Appreciate it!

Howard

Ok Craig, added you to the list. I bumped Howard down because I'm assuming he's going to be doing the calcium reactor instead.

Sam, I need a confirmation by midnight tomorrow (wed, dec 31), or else I'm going to have to bump you for Garrett .

Howard,

Here's the list .

3 - 6"x6' clear extruded acrylic tubes.

27 - 8.5" x 8.5" black acrylic squares.*

18 of these squares can be routed into circles**

36 - 2" x 3" acrylic squares*

12' of 3/8 cpvc tube

216 - nylon knurled thumb screws 1/4"x20x3/4"

216 - nylon wang nuts 1/4" x 20

18 - 1/4" push in fittings for tubing

9 - 18" ridgid supply line

9 - liquid tight cord grips for

8 - small powerheads with metal shaft impellers

4oz - #3 weldon acrylic cement

2 big tubes #16 weldon cement

1 - 1/4x20 steel tap and drill

1 - 1/4NPT tap and drill

gasket material for 9 units

I'm in!

I'd love to be in my work shop right now. Locked up and all.

Actually, I walked thru it day before yesterday but that's as close as I've come to it since before Thanksgiving.

Chip, as far as the acrylic needs, can you fill in the 'x's' :

(9) 6" x 5-3/4" (24" long) clear extruded acyrlic tubes

(9) 8.5" x 8.5" (x" thick) black acyrilic squares

(18) 8.5" diameter (x" thick) black acyrilic circles (these can be 8.5" x 8.5" squares if circles can't be done)

(36) 2" x 3" acylic squares (what color??)

(x) 3/8" x 1/4" (x" long) clear pvc (can this be acyrlic tube??)

need how thick the square and circles are, what color (if we care about it) for the 2" x 3" squares, and how many and what length each clear pvc segment should be.

Send me a pm with all that (I sent you a few pm's, but put it here too so you have all my questions in one place)

(9) 8.5" x 8.5" (x" thick) black acyrilic squares

1/4" will work but would be nice to be 3/8" or 1/2".

We are cutting these to size ourselves and black is my choice but clear will work.

(18) 8.5" diameter (x" thick) black acyrilic circles (these can be 8.5" x 8.5" squares if circles can't be done)

1/4" is fine and again we cut. To save alot of time, I think we can leave these square

and simply rout out the groove I like to put to add another gluing surface.

(36) 2" x 3" acylic squares (what color??)

scrap is fine since all this does is hold the powerhead tube.

(x) 3/8" x 1/4" (x" long) clear pvc (can this be acyrlic tube??)

what's this for?

Iwill be on the road from 7:00-8:30p tonight if you want to try me.

I've been talking with the guy who runs simply acrylic. He said its not a problem to cut the 6" acrylic tubes into 2 foot sections as opposed to 3 foot.

Should I ask if he can cut the squares and circles? Or should just total up what size sheet we will need for all those mats (plus a few extra for mistakes)?

The last 12' clear pvc was in your list above, so I thought we needed it for something. No? Just the 6" tube and the squares and circles?

A sheet that would cover the 8.5" x 8.5" squares (27 of them) would need to be 5 squares by 6 squares (with 3 extras).

8.5" x 5 = 42.5"

8.5" x 6 = 51"

so we would need a sheet thats 42.5" x 51" x 3/8"

The 2" x 3" squares, 36 of them, 6x6 grid:

2" x 6 = 12"

3" x 6 = 18"

12" x 18" = 216 square inches

the leftover squares from the first ones are 8.5" x 8.5" x 3 = 216.75 square inches. Sounds close, however as the squares are 2" x 3", neither one of these dimensions will fit into the extra 8.5" x 8.5" extras just right. We could increase the size of that initial sheet of acrylic, which would also give us some extra in case of any screw ups.

Chip, I'll give you a call later on tonight and we can discuss.

jimcroce21 (Garrett), You have been bumped onto the list! Sam, since you couldn't confirm I had to bump you to the bottom of the list.

Garrett, please confirm that you will be able to attend on Sunday, January 8th for the build party!

Tim,

Don't forget to account for the width of the saw blade when you're cutting multiple pieces out of a large piece of material. The blade is probably 1/8" or even 3/16" wide, and that adds up quick when you've got several pieces to cut.

Jon

Very true Jon, that crossed my mind after I made my last post. The plan is to buy a sheet of acrylic that should be more than enough - both for the reason you said, and in case we screw any pieces up we will have a little extra.

I learned this one the hard way. :)

Tim,

Don't forget to account for the width of the saw blade when you're cutting multiple pieces out of a large piece of material.  The blade is probably 1/8" or even 3/16" wide, and that adds up quick when you've got several pieces to cut.

Jon

48370[/snapback]

For you hair splitters out there,

My carbide tip SS blade is 3/16" and it's a "big bite" so I just adjust the RPM's.

We've got a little wiggle room on the 8.5" squares plus we'll joint the edges 1/64" to clean them up anyway.

Rleax guys, you just gotta make sure "Jack" doesn't follow Sonya and I home from BRK the night before or none of that's gonna matter anyway. :drunk:

Tim, I'll call you after I install a big funeral this morning and if I dont, call me.

Just to give an update, I'm in the process of gathering the components for our build! I'll let you know the grand total (and what each will owe me) when I have all the necessary items.

One more week!

:)