Let the cooking begin..

Orion

My reefrocks.net order came today. Ordered 50lbs worth of dry rock, and I think they gave me at least 60-70lbs worth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's very porous, and clean. Rinsed it off with RO/DI, and then put it in a Rubbermaid container with RO/DI to soak. This rock is supposed to be phosphate free, but I'll check to make sure.

I am borrowing a Mag 3 for circulation. Will seed this new rock in a couple days with rock from my existing tank to make it "live". It will be at least a couple more months before I get the new tank. By then this rock will be ready to go in, and will give me a nice head start on cycling.

If you decide to drill it I have masonry bits that do the job nicely.

Ohh I wanna drill my rocks. Think I could hit you up when I need it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

If you decide to drill it I have masonry bits that do the job nicely.

Thanks Mike.

I'll definitely have to drill a couple of these, and will more than likely have extra rock.

Whoo hoo!  When you get enough bacteria in your cooking, if you have room, put the skimmer in there to let it break in a little before moving to the new tank.

Edited by Shoelace

Whoo hoo! When you get enough bacteria in your cooking, if you have room, put the skimmer in there to let it break in a little before moving to the new tank.

Great idea. I'll also put some pods and coralline from the 30 gallon in there also.

Thanks again for letting me borrow the mag 3. It's perfect for this job.

Buying Isaacs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I thought about it, but I really would like to start with a brand new tank that's not reef ready. This way I can drill my own overflow box. Also getting a custom stand made for this tank.

Great idea. I'll also put some pods and coralline from the 30 gallon in there also.

Thanks again for letting me borrow the mag 3. It's perfect for this job.

If it won't be under light, will the coralline survive?

If it won't be under light, will the coralline survive?

It grows in the back of my AIO where there is very little to no light... It's worth a shot!

I'm curing rock similar to this but in a dfifferent fashion-

I have about 300# and it's been assembled to form big columns. I put it into the tank with full light, 2) MP40's and zero filtration.

It's been going for about 2 months now and has been "seeded" with a piece of LR from the old tank.

There's hair algae about 18" long growing in some places and lots of stuff settling out of all the various holes from drilling.

I see pods, hair algae, and Aiptasia so far. I intend to let this cycle for another 3-4 months.

I'm curing rock similar to this but in a dfifferent fashion-

I have about 300# and it's been assembled to form big columns. I put it into the tank with full light, 2) MP40's and zero filtration.

It's been going for about 2 months now and has been "seeded" with a piece of LR from the old tank.

There's hair algae about 18" long growing in some places and lots of stuff settling out of all the various holes from drilling.

I see pods, hair algae, and Aiptasia so far. I intend to let this cycle for another 3-4 months.

are you going to try to eradicate the algae issues now or wait until you're fully cycled? Whats your plan of attack on it...

are you going to try to eradicate the algae issues now or wait until you're fully cycled? Whats your plan of attack on it...

He's going to mix it into his soup and have it for dinner.  Tangy.

I'm going to let the algae grow as much as it wants, same with Aiptasia and pods. I like to keep fish that eat HA, eat Aiptasia, and eat pods. The HA will be gone in a day or two after adding the fish but the fish will know that there is algae that will grow naturally in the tank and constantly graze. Same with the Aiptasia. Pods are different as they ebb and flow, but allowing them to establish a huge population before adding the fish that will consume is the best way to go if you want to provide natural food sources.

with this type of rock, unless you do what is described above and have a long cycle- 90 to 180 days, the rock will take forever to establish anything on or in it. 

What's the point of adding anything to the tank if it doesn't serve a purpose and solve a problem?

Most people don't have the patience to do it this way but it is the best with sterile rock.

Edited by zygote2k

It grows in the back of my AIO where there is very little to no light... It's worth a shot!

You'll be fine, I found it growing in my overflow when I cleaned the 57.

It's been about a week now since I added ammonium chloride, some live rock from my existing tank, and a bottle of dr. tims. Currently ammonia is at 2ppm (It fell 3 days ago to .5ppm, and I added more ammonium chloride per Dr. Tim's instructions), Nitrite is at 10ppm, and just started to get Nitrate today - .5 ppm

Started the skimmer, and will keep testing as the rock continues to "cook" for the next 2-3 months.  

How important is it to maintain salinity levels with regards to evaporation?  I checked today and the salinity was at 1.028 from 1.025 a week ago due to evaporation.  I added some fresh water to bring it back down.

It's important not to let your salinity get too out of whack as it could impact the viability of the bacteria. But 1.028 is unlikely to have been a problem. Just top it off from time to time to keep the salinity reasonable.

Tom,

This may sound like a dumb question -

Once the cycle is complete, and there are no signs on ammonia/nitrite, do I have to feed the rock/bacteria occasionally? I plan on dumping pods from my existing tank in there once the cycle is done.

It helps to feed a very small amount to "ghost feed."

ps - That strain of pods you have must really like to do it.  I have about a bagillion in my tank now, and that clump of chaeto is like the hourly rate motel.