IO salt mix

With all the recent threads about parameters got me paranoid, so I went and checked my mine. I use Instant Ocean salt mix with rodi (obviously), and BRS 2 part dosing via dosing pumps and controller. I rarely check my parameters. The last time I checked was dated back in April. My parametes were: Ca-450, kH-7.0, Mg-1600+ (I never need to dose Mg). Today my parameters are: Ca-370, kH-6.4, didnt check Mg, too lazy. I'm glad I checked them. I'm assuming my sps are consuming more as they are bigger.  I will add a few seconds to the timers to slowly raise it back. I'm not too concerned because I still have good color, and great pe.

I checked the fresh batch of water for my water change tomorrow, and I'm getting: Ca- 370, kH-10.9 with the Red Sea kit. Is this what everyone else has been reading off your test kits? This is for regular IO salt mix. I think the kH is high, no?

It's been a while since I've tested a new batch, but my IO used to mix up to about 400-420 Ca and 10-11 dKH alk at 1.0264 sg. Calcium was tested using Salifert; alkalinity using a Hanna checker. Several years back, some people were getting inconsistent numbers with some batches of IO. Consistency improved when the stirred the dry salt up to mix up the dry components.

Thanks guys! Also if you could mention which test kit you're using.

I'm using the Red Sea kit, and I've noticed that once the color changes and sits for a minute, it will change back slightly. Do I read the initial change in color or do I keep adding until it stays the changed color? The results are quite different.

I'd like to know that too, because I'm using the same salt and the same Red Sea tests.  I regularly get readings that seem way high for Ca and Mg when I swirl towards the end of the titration test and wait and wait to see if it's going to stay blue or start to get some pink back in it.

Don't remember where I seen it but I believe it was there YouTube tutorials but it said as soon as you see the color to stop. Don't try to make it stay that color

I don't use Red Sea test kits any longer. They've come up with a new line of titration kits that I've not tried, though.

If the color remains stable after swirling the sample after adding a drop of reagent, I figure that the test is done. If the sample sits for a minute and the color changes, I wouldn't add any more titrant to try to get it to change again. However, if a few seconds of swirling results in a color change, I'll add another drop until I get a stable reading.

The last time we did this was in 2010. It's time for another set of tests to be run. Because these levels vary with salinity, post your test kit results and your (calibrated) salinty reading.

OK.  I'm using these new ones, and so is Cliff Puckstable:  http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-reef-foundation-pro-multi-test-kit-ca-alk-mg.html

The tests are really nice.  The calcium one is a little frustrating because of the tiny scoop of red powder that you have to put in, but I see the same thing he does.  The pink turns to blue as I'm adding the titrant, but the video here:

seems to say that you are looking for a stable totally blue color with no pink left in it making it look purple, not just where the color starts blue and turns back to purple.

Wow, I've been doing it wrong. I've been removing the cap from syringe, and drawing up the titration. This is the only way that I can avoid air bubbles. That caps holds almost 1ml. ugh, this is why I rarely check my parameters. Also, how do you consistently use the same amount of pink powder doing it according to the video? Or does it not really matter how much powder you add? Too many questions.

I just tested it again, exactly like the video. I got the same results. Drawing up the titration with the cap on is the same. It just has a huge air bubble, but it actually draws up exactly 10ml. I'm such a noob.

I still would like to see what other people are getting.

* A little off topic, but after water changes, does your skimmer overflow?

I just tested it again, exactly like the video. I got the same results. Drawing up the titration with the cap on is the same. It just has a huge air bubble, but it actually draws up exactly 10ml. I'm such a noob.

I still would like to see what other people are getting.

* A little off topic, but after water changes, does your skimmer overflow?

It's the displacement in the syringe that's important. As long as the air bubble remains on top, your measurement will be fine.

On the skimmer overflow question, my skimmer used to overflow after water changes during a certain period while I lived in Ashburn. I don't seem to get that same behavior nowadays though. Not sure exactly why. I just ran it with the cup clean and the drain opened until things settled again.

Ok so I'm ready to make the switch over to the bigger tank. Still concerned about the high alk in the new salt mix. I would hate to lose the year of growth in this move. I was reading that muriatic acid will reduce the kh but will also reduce ph. I have been mixing some wc water with the new mix and I'm sitting at 9kh. Am I over thinking this or should I just go for it?

I have almost doubled my dosage on my 2 part and the numbers still seem to be going down. What is the amount you guys are adding each day?

I was reading that muriatic acid will reduce the kh but will also reduce ph. I have been mixing some wc water with the new mix and I'm sitting at 9kh. Am I over thinking this or should I just go for it?

You're overthinking it. Alkalinity and acidity are, from a practical perspective, opposites. When you say "will reduce the KH but will also reduce the pH," you're pretty much saying the same thing. Just go for it.