Tank cycling

rtsusc83

Yeah, I probably will.  I want to set up a fuge and kind of didn't want to get it all over the sump and into the skimmer intakes and stuff.  I may try to drill the tank I have for the fuge tomorrow so I can put it in there. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I probably will.  I want to set up a fuge and kind of didn't want to get it all over the sump and into the skimmer intakes and stuff.  I may try to drill the tank I have for the fuge tomorrow so I can put it in there. 

I use an egg crate divide, but you could easily make an egg crate box as well. 

You folks are all funny!  My 90 day clock is up late november so got a ways to go!  I wonder who will cave in first.

Londonloco, I may take you up on that offer.  Maybe I can see your tank in person!

Love me some dr. Tim's...talk about jump starting your cycle...not to sound crazy but I don't think I have ever waited 90 days...maybe 30 or so...

..always just too excited..and I have always added a lot of live rock..but I do really like the idea behind it, and have Tony's book which really outlines and makes sense but... I'm an instant gratification kind of person,lol

Not a thing, but here is the second suggested step, if you're going the 90 day route.

For best results, it is advisable to run your circulation pump, protein skimmer and activated carbon, and to keep the lights off during this process.

However, there are 100 ways to skin a cat.

Is your "90day route" fish related?

Is your "90day route" fish related?

Yes. For the sole reason of fish. I'm looking to add about $800 of livestock, so yes, for pods, and all the other good stuff .

Yes. For the sole reason of fish. I'm looking to add about $800 of livestock, so yes, for pods, and all the other good stuff .

This is a frag tank. I may or may not add fish ever, but certainly not in the near future. I just want someplace to dump coral, and if I can do it sooner than I had initially thought, the better.

Yes. I have a QT set up right now for a couple fish and inverts this way when my cycle is done I have a couple fish out of QT to put in there.

60 days of lights out and 30 days of full tank running like normal then add my fish.

Back to the corals question that I missed : You can add them, but remember, while some can prey on the pod population, corals benefit from suspended fish waste. So, focusing your effort on building, growing and maintaining a healthy bacteria and pod population are the first steps that Tony was recommending.

Sent from my phone

I was wondering how Tony Vargas book was considered "selling out" all morning. But you mean the actual COPIES are selling out, not the content. Oh English, you're such a funny language.

I recall Julian Sprung mentioning at a WAMAS meeting a year or two ago that he put old sand and alot of live rock from one tank into a new one, and the new one didn't cycle at all. Am I correct in that? I'm setting up a 90 gallon and for a number of reasons I'm hoping that with alot of live sand and more or less live rock from my 30 gallon I won't have to wait 90 days....