Tank cycling

rtsusc83

One thing I learned.  You can order Dr Tim's from Amazon, but then they ship it however and they have been storing it somewhere in unknown temps.  If you order from Dr Tim he takes some care with shipping it.  No idea if it makes a difference or if the whole thing is total snake oil, but my tank is cycled.  I added MB7 all along too, but I'm even more suspicious that it's nothing more than an ammonia source.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Dr to.s and definitely recommend it. I started with all dry rock and it was a great way to kick off the cycle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Jenn,

I think it is time to change the phone.  Dont think it is operator error! Lol!

yes tell verizon that for me....they are forcing me to wait 3 more months...so you all will just have to get used to the horrendous auto correct that happens LOL...

Maybe I'll join the 90 day crowd in slinging some Dr. Tims. It has been suggested by some people I really respect in the hobby, I just can't help but feel like it's a redundant step.

Maybe I'll join the 90 day crowd in slinging some Dr. Tims. It has been suggested by some people I really respect in the hobby, I just can't help but feel like it's a redundant step.

you mean me right?  :laugh: 

you mean me right?  :laugh: 

You are on that list for sure!

honestly if you are using all your live rock I woudn't bother...you already have the bacteria you would be adding in....if you were using all dry rock or just a small amount of lr seed I would say do it...save your money and put it towards a coral that you will put in looong before the 90 days is up

Just so we're clear, this is what Tony wrote about. Just looking at what he wrote, I break it down into two phases: Bacteria colonization and micro fauna colonization. Roughly speaking, he recommends about six weeks for each of before introducing predators (fish) from higher up the food chain.

Sent from my phone

Tom et al,

I was thinking about this overnight (yes I do think about my tanks during the sleeping hours and this happened alot during my DIY stand build and plumbing build) regarding the 90 day ride.....Should credit be given with using sand from another tank, SW from another tank and the "cured" rock that has been sitting in a tub for two months?  I have another tank to play with so I am not rushing to put livestock in this tank but want to learn more.  For those of you who have Tony Vargas' book:  The Coral Reef Aquarium from Inception to Completion, do you recommend buying the book?  I will start water tests today.  Thanks for far for all the help!

I recommend the book. Was the first book i got in this hobby, Tony Varga's has gone all around the world looking at peoples tanks, taking pictures of them and documenting them. The tanks that he features in his books are amazing and some are straight stunning to me. Everyone has a different "method to their madness" in this hobby. It's great to learn from others and see what works for them but may not always work for you. For ex. some people in this club use straight well water rather than rodi water and still have thriving tanks, i wish that worked for me but their is no way for that to work for me. The biggest thing that he stressed in his meeting with wamas in starting a new tank was cycling and just WAIT. He said most Europeans wait appox. 180 days but most Americans grow to impatient and have to throw livestock in as soon as the nitrite cycle goes down.

so i give the book a thumbs up. Even if you ever got bored reading it, their are many great pictures to see in it.

Tom et al,

I was thinking about this overnight (yes I do think about my tanks during the sleeping hours and this happened alot during my DIY stand build and plumbing build) regarding the 90 day ride.....Should credit be given with using sand from another tank, SW from another tank and the "cured" rock that has been sitting in a tub for two months?  I have another tank to play with so I am not rushing to put livestock in this tank but want to learn more.  For those of you who have Tony Vargas' book:  The Coral Reef Aquarium from Inception to Completion, do you recommend buying the book?  I will start water tests today.  Thanks for far for all the help!

Like saltlife said above, the book alone is really worth it just for the pictures. I have not gotten past the first chapter, but its next on my list, sitting on my bookshelf.

Tony was such a character at our meeting that I had a hard time determining how much he really knew, never having read the book.  Everyone seems to think he's smart, though, and it won't hurt me to follow his advice even though I'm itching to start putting fish in!

Just so we're clear, this is what Tony wrote about. Just looking at what he wrote, I break it down into two phases: Bacteria colonization and micro fauna colonization. Roughly speaking, he recommends about six weeks for each of before introducing predators (fish) from higher up the food chain.

Sent from my phone

What about corals? I'm cycling a frag tank and wouldn't mind chucking some crappier corals in that are taking too much space in my display. Honestly, the water has been in the tank for maybe a month and a half and I haven't bothered testing for anything yet, because I wasn't planning on adding 1 or 2 fish until Oct 1 at the earliest.

What about corals? I'm cycling a frag tank and wouldn't mind chucking some crappier corals in that are taking too much space in my display. Honestly, the water has been in the tank for maybe a month and a half and I haven't bothered testing for anything yet, because I wasn't planning on adding 1 or 2 fish until Oct 1 at the earliest.

Sure you can, but then you're running the lights.

What's wrong with running the lights?

Not a thing, but here is the second suggested step, if you're going the 90 day route.

For best results, it is advisable to run your circulation pump, protein skimmer and activated carbon, and to keep the lights off during this process.

However, there are 100 ways to skin a cat.

I turn them on a short cycle a little bit before end of the cycle to get the algae part over with and have plenty of stuff for cuc

Tom said that when you normally run the lights it will help algae grow and steal the nutrients from that bacteria I believe and that is why it is better to leave them off.. Maybe for at least the first 60 days..

Tom said that when you normally run the lights it will help algae grow and steal the nutrients from that bacteria I believe and that is why it is better to leave them off.. Maybe for at least the first 60 days..

I completely agree

I'm a rebel!  I put even more life into the tank.  Just cheato from Marco with a rock on top with pods and stuff in it, but still... 

IMAG0684_zps92fb4ebf.jpg

I'm a rebel!  I put even more life into the tank.  Just cheato from Marco with a rock on top with pods and stuff in it, but still... 

IMAG0684_zps92fb4ebf.jpg

Go crazy, go wild!

Why not put it in your sump with a fuge light over it?