Smallreefs' 150g upgrade!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leak test part1 FAIL

The inside bulk head of the drain leaks horribly..we think its the nut that I couldn't really get a wrench around...so any ideas (photo incoming)

image-66.jpg

image-65.jpg

It's the larger one on the left....so what do y'all use to tighten these more than hand tight? Or should I try and replace the flange that I think is inside? Or just throw some silicone up under and let that dry after tightening?

check the rubber seal, if there is dirt around it that is often the cause....if you have trouble with a wrench try a plumbers basin wrench...they come in handy more than one would ever think.

or if you cant tighten it all the way up to the acrylic you can always try to add plastic washers to the dry side so the nut doesnt have to be all the way up to the glass to be tight.

Edited by Der ABT

the problem with checking the seal is its inside a very small overflow box...i can get my one hand in it...but i can easily tell there still alot of dirt from when i cleaned i couldnt get out being it was so hard...

check the rubber seal, if there is dirt around it that is often the cause....if you have trouble with a wrench try a plumbers basin wrench...they come in handy more than one would ever think.

or if you cant tighten it all the way up to the acrylic you can always try to add plastic washers to the dry side so the nut doesnt have to be all the way up to the glass to be tight.

+1 on getting a wrench. I just bought/borrowed one from Lowes :ohmy: . Yeah I am that guy.

I had the exact same problem with my old tank which I eventually sold for the exact same reason. Even one tiny grain of sand can cause a leak in the bulkhead fitting. You probably need to do some kind of a pressure wash thiingie on the inside so all the dirt/sand/debris is gone. 

Good luck!

You may be able to try some Teflon paste that might help but I'd probably try to clean things off one more time and then possibly try some Teflon washers so you can get a better grip on the nut to tighten it...hopefully one of those works

Or reverse the bulk head ...not a huge fan of this as the washer then goes on the outside

Also I'm assuming its a new bulkhead/washer

Last resort is a bunch of silicon

Edited by Der ABT

Old bulkhead and washer...tried to clean it when the tank was empty and the stuff was so far down and just like cement I didn't think anything about it...but obviously....

And as far as replacing,lol ummm this would be a really hard as its actually in the bottom of the tank...

It's going to be hard enough to try to clean...I'm going to have to take the drain assembly off and wipe around the inside of the hole with a damp cloth (with my 2 or 3 fingers as not even my hand fitsnup the hole) and that's pretty much my only option...other than a ton of silicone...

I'd go new bulkhead...clean with towel/water a lot...get one of the scrapers with a long handle

To tighten more break out an angle grinder or dremel and cut the wood back enough to tighter properly. Or its drain and slide the tank to a place you can tighten properly

Get it done right now...its gonna be there a while so the better its done now the less you'll do in 7 days haha

It kind of sounds like the flange side of the bulkhead is inside the bottom of the tank at the bottom of an overflow box which is pretty much inaccessible to hands and was dirty when she started setting it up because it was so difficult/i possible to clean. Is that right?

If so it seems like you have to mourn your lost effort, drain the tank, remove the pipes from that overflow box, really get in there and clean it, install new bulkheads with new rubber gaskets (threaded or at least not glued so the pipes can be removed), install new dursos or whatever you are using inside the box, and reconnect the plumbing back on the outside.

Yes Alan...that was the gist of it...but draining is a last option...I can get my 2 fingers inside from underneath so I will be trying that...maybe with some vinegar on a rag,lol we will see...

But underneath isnt where the leak is, or is it? If the bulkhead is leaking, then the leak is on the inside of the tank because that's where the water is and where the seal is. Tightening the nut on the other side of the glass from a leaking rubber gasket might work, I guess, but kind of seems like asking for the leak to start again in the future.

Yes Alan...that was the gist of it...but draining is a last option...I can get my 2 fingers inside from underneath so I will be trying that...maybe with some vinegar on a rag,lol we will see...

Ugh. I'm not jealous at all, sorry that you ran into this. I would drain the water, clean it up as best I could, and install a new bulkhead. What size are you using? I have a few left over from my plumbing you're welcome to have. Like Evan said, it's better to deal with it now, then 7 days, or weeks down the road!

So..had an epiphany when I was trying to take the bulkhead off...which I forgot is glued to the top part of one of the drain pieces...

So I have to cut that off...take the whole bulkhead apart...and flush the overflow area.. May bring in the pressure washer to do it,lol but I have to silicone a piece of the shower pan liner to the back of the stand and basically use it as a slide for the nasty sandy water to go to a bucket I'll put in my sump...

Fun!

So off to the HD to grab a wire PVC cutter since I have to cut off the drain piece to pull the whole thing out...in which then I can also wash off the flange and possibly hit ferguson before they close for the long weekend if I need a new seal....

Well...before cutting my husband cleaned all of the sand out of the threads with water and a toothbrush, then tightened it ....second time around...NO LEAKS!

So now I'm making more water to make sure I have enough to test my return plumbing capabilities...hopefully this one will not be a problem...

:)