If you could have a Mulligan:

YHSublime

For those who don't know:

A mulligan is when a player receives a chance to perform another move or action.

I looked for it, and some of you may very well be able to find it better than me (maybe it was on RC?) but there was a whole thread about what you would do differently if you could set up your tank again? I would like to hear from the experienced reefers, and those who are just starting and learning by trial and error (myself included)

If I could start over again, I think I would make the following changes:

• I would go bare bottom. Or a light sanded area, nothing crazy.
  • I would have built my own stand. To have access to the sump, or put in a different sump is out of control for me right now, space is very limited.
  • I would have started with LED's
  • I would have started with an Avast CS1 from the start as well.

Let's hear it. And if you can find that other thread I was talking about, please send me the link!

Find WAMAS first, before I invested in a bunch of expensive) stuff (@ retail) that was ultimately (and quickly) disposed of.

Never added that six line wrasse, totally evil fish.

I keep watching mine wondering if he'll become the devil incarnate. Big, fat and several years old, mine is still well behaved - at least, when I'm around he is.

I would have gone external skimmer as my internal skimmer is adding a lot of heat to the tank with two giant submersible pumps.

Another one would be to learn that a foxface is poisonous and can cause severe pain before picking it out of the net with my bare hands. That was very painful!!

Would have gone with a bigger tank/real refugium setup rather than the Red Sea Max.... Plans to fix that mistake are in the works.

Find WAMAS first, before I invested in a bunch of expensive) stuff (@ retail) that was ultimately (and quickly) disposed of.

That is a good one...

Never added that six line wrasse, totally evil fish.

I was going to add one, and I read about them on WAMAS and some folk that had them...

Would have gone with a bigger tank/real refugium setup rather than the Red Sea Max.... Plans to fix that mistake are in the works.

What are you reasons to want to run a refugium?

The reason I'm asking, is because when I do a switch, I want to make sure that I learn from mistakes, mine and others!

I'd like to know the thought behind this too....Isn't it just more maintenance and masking any problems the tank may be having? It's another place for detritus build up. In other words, a toilet.....This is my opinion based on my own research, not practice. I personally would never have one but respect everyone else that choose to have one.

i wish i would have known how crazy i like my builds and built my basement when i bought this place accordingly for a much larger tank and support room.

Would anybody put a matt underneath their stand before they put it down?

I agree with Tom, I wish I hadn't bought a bunch of crap at full retail that I would eventually replace. Also, I would have drilled my tank before filling (ugh). Patience would be on the list as well. Also, I would have gone bigger.

He means that he'd like a separate sump, possibly with a refugium (macro or otherwise) .

A refugium doesn't have to become a detritus trap.

AIO's can be very limiting in terms of what equipment you can use. That can be a huge limitation.

(Sent from my phone.)

I would have started large...

Other than that...I read alot of books (after I had taken a few marine biology and environment classes in school) asked many questions from a local LFS owner....and joined RC and another forum before starting....so I think I had a solid start....

I would have also narrowed down what fish I really wanted, instead of trying to get every different fish i thought was cool. even if they were not compatible,,,, which then led me to having multiple tanks to house them,lol

I would have added a 3rd radion to my tank. Now that I got this monster clam at the ff I feel like there's not enough lite in the center of my tank, now debating a very expensive mistake. Is there a par meter in Virginia anywhere?

I would have gone with a drilled tank to skip the external overflow box. 

Would anybody put a matt underneath their stand before they put it down?

i have one of those mats made to be used for water maintenance under the stand.

it did soak up a lot of water during a water change gone wrong, but is hard to keep clean and i cant vacuum it like a carpet. have to use a small broom to clean it which is a pain. i will still put it under my stand after my move.

This probably only applies to my first tank.

I wouldn't have bought the rock off Craigslist, ... it's the only thing I can think of for why I NEVER could keep any coral alive at all.

For my current tank... I wouldn't have adopted a cat.

Plumbing... NEVER EVER rely on pumps to do what proper plumbing can do again... thus preventing the loss of $1400 of retail replacement value fish including my beloved dwarf golden moray that I miss every time I look at the tank.