Pop Eye Surgery

Coral Hind

I picked up a really nice Striped Squirrelfish last weekend but it had a really bad case of pop eye.The wife held it down while I worked the needle and the daughter snapped a couple of pictures.

SquirrelfishPreOp_zps9033b2d8.jpg

Here it is pre-op.

a0a66a7b-587b-480e-8ed1-475a31fc0a1c_zps

A pic with the needle in. You can actually see the air inside the eye in this picture.

Before the needle it would just swim in circles and really didn't have vision on the one side. Immediately afterwards it was swimming and eating fine. I removed a full 1ml of air from it on Tuesday evening and it looks like I will have to do it again as there is still air left inside it.

Your wife certainly helps you out a bit with your tank and fish! I can only get mine to look at the tank and that's about it. 

Glad it worked, how bizarre. Nice looking fish!

wow

Great job, David. Pauls been talking about this for years. I'm glad to see someone here try it.

(Sent from my phone)

Yes but nobody thought it would work.  On all the fish I performed this on (the ones with insurance) I never lost a patient or was sued.  None of the fish ever went blind or had a social disease.  I even did it on a moorish Idol who lived for another 5 years.  Almost a record in moorish Idol lives.

Good job and thanks for posting photo's.  I couldn't hold the camera and do that at the same time, and my wife just thinks I am nuts so she wouldn't do it.

Your wife's a good judge of character.

Mine too and she's been enjoying my craziness for 25 years. Like Davids, she'd also help, if not preform it.

WOW! Another one of those learn something new every day moments!

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update. Well the air bubble came back so one week after the first try I pulled another .5ml out and placed it back into a medicated hospital tank. Another week went by and the air started forming again. Today I pulled out another .5ml of air. I doubt this procedure will work since it has come back twice already and this is the last time I will stress the fish out attempting to remove the air.

From what I've read, normally when they are infected by bacteria they develop it in both eyes, not just one. Same thing if it is a result of poor water quality. I think this is from some eye trauma it sustained. It has been medicated for two weeks with an antibiotic just in case but no improvement.