Bubble Tip Anenome

Delphinus88

I have just recently started up my first saltwater tank and purchased a green bubble tip anemone 6 days ago. About 4 hours after he was in the tank he found a hiding place that is nearly impossible to get to and has not come out. With a flashlight I can see that he looks nicely inflated and has good color. My question is how long can I expect this to continue? Everyone says just be patient and this is normal but no one will say exactly how long I can expect this. My clowns and I are patiently waiting.

He will find something reall expensive and then emerge in top of it. My BTAs took a month to settle down after I rebuilt my tank. One hid in the dark for a couple weeks and it is just fine now.

Bill, what I hear you saying is be careful what I wish for. Kjamaya, I tried that with a weaker powerhead and it did not budge. Perhaps I will try again with a more powerful one this weekend. Thanks for the words.

Bevin

(edited)

I have just recently started up my first saltwater tank and purchased a green bubble tip anemone 6 days ago.

I hope this works out. Be vigilant with your water quality and lighting. I tried an anemone one time and found it to be difficult to keep. Mine wondered all over my tank and never went where I wanted it to go.

Edited by Jason Rhoads

What she did not say in her post was that the tank was started with 70% water from a well established tank and she used live sand and seeded the complete system with a canister filter. I would say she cheated the start up process as everything in the tank is thriving with very low nitrates, trites and no phosphates. SO Get off the bandwagon of the tank being too new, it is up and running well already. However, she is really looking for a couple of frags as the ones i gave her are shrooms and pallys and are all very happy. NOTE, i see criticism but nothing constructive included. :clap:

What she did not say in her post was that the tank was started with 70% water from a well established tank and she used live sand and seeded the complete system with a canister filter. I would say she cheated the start up process as everything in the tank is thriving with very low nitrates, trites and no phosphates. SO Get off the bandwagon of the tank being too new, it is up and running well already. However, she is really looking for a couple of frags as the ones i gave her are shrooms and pallys and are all very happy. NOTE, i see criticism but nothing constructive included. :clap:

wow

unfortunately, despite those steps taken, they do not make the system ready for an anemone. i'm sure it helped speed her cycle along but most anemones for a long successful life not immediately tainted by premature problems or death require a mature system. you cannot fast forward time with a tank despite our best efforts. while some of the things done may assist, i find (and apparently most nem keepers here agree) that it is often best to wait at least 6 months to a year before implementing a nem into one's system.

additionally, presuming her tank is matured/ready, the other reasons for allowing your system to run for that time, is one obtains knowledge of one's system and how it may work or not work with anemone. this system is to new to know if the overflow is designed improperly for a nem, if the powerhead should be removed in favor of a stronger return. if she has foam guards for her pumps, if the corals will have chemical warfare, how the light will sustain nems, how fast her overflow can get clogged if blocked by a wandering nem, what's the fastest way to stop her overflowing tank etc. all these things you learn when you have a new system along the way. success with nems requires a bit of diligence and time. this is not always the case as their will always will be more than one way to be successful but it increases her odds.

this thread probably has the most kind and considerate replies to the original post's news of having a nem after a couple months. i also read constructive assistance from other anemone keepers, posted to help. if this had been posted on any other forum, one would see some unnecessary hurtful replies - everyone here is actually trying to ensure the success of the reefer and the nem.

good luck delphin*! post up a photo and keep us updated! who knows maybe if it is stressed, you'll get a clone out of it and can pass on an anemone to someone else new to our group and ready for it. they sure are awesome specimens!

I understand where you are coming from. Most people on here understand how unforgiving anemones are and want to try to avoid what they (probably) feel is a mismatch between organism needs and care taker experience level. I am really glad that the tank is and has been healthy for the last two months.

At the risk of alienating myself from a group that I just recently joined, I feel to offer criticism without any potential solution is not productive and not what I came here for. I realize I am going to make mistakes here as I'm sure many of you did when you first started and may still today. None of us are perfect. By advertising my issue I have opened myself up to this group. I came here to learn from the extensive knowledge base that many of you possess. I have also been reading books and have several friends that have been doing this very successfully for many years. Had my question been "is it too soon to get a nem...." then fine. Or even "it may have been too soon but now that you have it, here is what I would suggest" If your mission is to give a supportive place for us "newbies" to get advice, then maybe you could temper your criticism with something constructive.

As for the ones who did offer suggestions, encouragement or comic relief (however true it may be) - Thank you.

Bevin

Keep water quality high and, as Coral Hind suggested, feed it bits of food so long as it's hiding. It will find its comfort zone soon enough. Patience is not only a virtue, it's a requirement in this hobby. Keep us posted and please don't be discouraged by the short responses that you may get from time to time. It will almost always be well meaning. We share a common passion and with the written word does not always convey helpful intent.

(Sent from my phone)

to answer your question directly bevin, that may be the spot it picked for itself. that is to say it may never move unless coerced, stressed, or the environment changes. they don't always settle where we place them and will ultimately pick their own home in our tanks. i know you didn't ask this question so i hope you aren't offended by me offering further guidance...i would leave it alone for a while and allow it to settle which can take a couple/few weeks before trying to "encourage" it to move if that is the decision you make because of its current location. also, i have had bad luck with anemones in feeding them within the first couple weeks of arrival to a new tank. in my experience and in text i've read, it is suggested to allow for a settling period before attempting to feed. when i rush to feed in attempt to make a sour situation better or out of pure excitement, it stresses the nem and the food usually end up spit back up.

i have a RBTA I just added and he is hanging behind my rock, bummer. my dang clowns are hosting my mushroom! I added it about 5 days ago and moved clear across the tank and hasnt moved since the first second day. Hopefully he will come and and the clowns will see him so my shrooms will get some relief.

I have a huge rbta with maroon clowns hosting. He eats anyting is healthy (as far as I can tell) but i can not get him to bubble up. Lots of light and a good current in the tank. Any ideas?

there's no proven way to make it happen - just a bunch of guesses that have all been proven not to be accurate in identical situations with same nems. heck sometimes my nems are half bubble half not. no one knows what makes them bubble.

I have three small rbta in my 50 gallon LOL. They dont bubble either SIGH