Schreiba's 83g Miracles Rimless [40x24x20]

Well after having an ADA 60-f (~8 gallons) for over a year and a half, I've really wanted to go a little bit bigger...

I purchased/received this tank from Miracles back in November 2011 and have been slowly completing this build to get it where I want. All I really have left to buy at this point is a new sump in order to fit my Avast CS-1 skimmer. Here's the details:

Tank: Miracles Rimless 40x24x20 with starphire front panel

Sump: Custom built Advanced Acrylics 24x14x14

Return Pump: Mag7

Water Movement: MP40ES

Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-110

Floating Canopy: 250W MH Lumenmax Elite reflector with Icecap ballast and 20k radium bulb; 36" VHO retrofit kit with UV Super Actinic bulbs; 12 RapidLED DIY kit with all RB LEDs

Controller: Apex Aquacontroller

ATO: Tunze Osmolator

Dosing: Bubble Magnus with Avast Dosing Barrels

Filtration: Filter sock + chaeto + TLF phosban reactor 150 with carbon

So far I have two Barlett's Anthias (want to pickup one more) and a female swallowtail angelfish (I know she'll eventually outgrow the tank). I'm not completely set on what else to add but I'm considering a pair or trio of reef-safe wrasse and/or 4-5 apogon leptacanthus. This tank was originally being setup for 90% SPS but chalices and zoas have really been growing on me lately. My newest plan is SPS near the center under the halide and chalices and zoas on the edges under the RB LEDs. Let me know what you think! icon_smile.gif

This was the initial plan:

8013521858_f319c5ee6a_z.jpg

Beginning of the canopy build before the tank arrived:

8227668693_1f8a5573d1_z.jpg

New tank next to the old one:

8278520755_9538059a3c_z.jpg

First few fish:

8388670522_61006aec73_z.jpg

Nearly completed build:

8410700579_50ec8287da_z.jpg

FTS from 3/6/13 (LEDs not yet installed in the canopy):

8534616033_44cc94ac66_z.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice and clean

I'll echo what everyone else said, it looks really nice, good job!

Your builds are always impressive in how clean and neat they come out. Really impressive! Looking forward to see how your corals grow out in this tank.

I'll echo what everyone else said, it looks really nice, good job!

Thanks YHSublime!

Your builds are always impressive in how clean and neat they come out. Really impressive! Looking forward to see how your corals grow out in this tank.

Omair! So far the more beginner SPS are really taking off, birdsnest/pocillopora/etc. but the acros are taking longer to adapt to the change. I'm hoping for better growth in this tank though since it'll be a lot easier to keep the parameters stable.

FYI, your frag rack is crooked.

:laugh: Yeah I know...I've since moved it to the right wall of the tank so it's under the RB LEDs and I can see/photograph the frags a lot easier.

Very nice. I like that trim piece at the top edge of your stand that wraps around the bottom of the tank. Can you explain that? It's a nice detail. Have picture of it?

Very nice. I like that trim piece at the top edge of your stand that wraps around the bottom of the tank. Can you explain that? It's a nice detail. Have picture of it?

Thanks! If you look in the third picture (one with both tanks) you can see how it's tacked to the main portion of the stand. I used a pneumatic nail gun to attached it to the stand and then puttied over the holes. The main purpose of it is to cover the plastic rim on the bottom of the tank but it also adds a nice look to the stand. The wood is something similar to this and was cut at a 45 degree angle on the ends to keep the clean look. I'll try and take a closer picture for you the next time I have my camera out.

Nice & Clean! gj

Thanks Neto!

Is your canopy made out of concrete? If so bravo! that's amazing. If not, still bravo, the whole thing looks great.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it! It's actually constructed out of wood (second picture in the original post) but I applied a concrete finish it, so yes there is concrete on it :tongue: If you want I can post more details about the finish and how I applied it.

wow, looks just as nice as your previous build.

Thanks jimlin! This build was definitely more thought out than my last build but it still has a ways to go...

Looks awesome Pierce!

Sooooo different from your first tank....

Thanks Kim! It's just a little bit bigger :tongue:

Tank looks awesome. When the swallowtail outgrows your tank. Let me know. :)

:laugh: Thanks epleeds! Hopefully that is awhile from now but you'll be the first to know.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it! It's actually constructed out of wood (second picture in the original post) but I applied a concrete finish it, so yes there is concrete on it :tongue: If you want I can post more details about the finish and how I applied it.

Yes please! It looks amazing!

Love those rimless tanks, nice clean look.

Fresh, Clean, Sleek, Hot, Modern, Uber Nice, and Slick!

Just get those frags mounted!

:happy: Thanks! I'm going to mount a few more this weekend for sure. Also when I take the next FTS, you'll see the frag rack looks much better now on the right side of the tank. Although having no frag rack at all is the eventual goal.

Yes please! It looks amazing!

Thanks Jason! For the concrete finish, I used a product called Ardex SD-M which can be applied in very thin layers so not much additional weight was added to the fixture. With this finishing concrete no mesh was needed. I used acrylic sheets clamped down to the wet concrete to give it the polished finish (this was probably the 6th method I used before I finally got it how I wanted) and then used a chisel to clean up the edges. I should have taken more pictures of the process and written up a detailed DIY on it. I thought about doing the stand the same way but I really like the combination and contrast of the white stand, glass aquarium, and concrete fixture. I'm also not sure if the finish would hold up well on the front door since it would take more abuse from being taken on and off all the time. Let me know if you have anymore specific question about the canopy or process!

Love those rimless tanks, nice clean look.

Thanks Todd, I appreciate it!

I used a pneumatic nail gun to attached it to the stand and then puttied over the holes.

You have a pneumatic nail gun? :clap:

I'm jealous.

You have a pneumatic nail gun? :clap:

I'm jealous.

More like my dad has a pneumatic nail gun :tongue:

LOL I have 4 Pneumatic nail guns...what's that get me?

That's crazy Kim, we have a pneumatic nail gun too but I think the electric one works better than the pnuematic one.