monkiboy's 265g build thread

Have you planned which circuits the stuff will go on?  Seems like you got plenty of EB8 to go around. 

You should sneak a nice big rackmount UPS into your subie's trunk at work some day and plug one EB8 into it and put stuff that has to run in an outage on that one.

He would need an APC Symetra to last long enough.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If all you want it for is the few seconds until your generator kicks in you can just put a tiny one on your Apex head unit and your router and you'll get your notice.  Seems like no need to put them on your EB8 if you are installing a generator.

got my new SMR-2500 from synergy today. it looks incredible and meticulous detailed follow through on the work, just my style ;)

b1d2c7eb-71e4-4bac-9609-7bb83ed41777_zps

411ada2d-914a-41e6-b4a6-f070d12573bb_zps

Looks like something from a nuclear reactor. Nice gear.

(edited)

Looks like something from a nuclear reactor. Nice gear.

That thing looks wicked!

thanks - yeah, synergy and their signature color combo is hopefully going to make under the tank looks as good as above the sump ;)

You and your neon green.

i don't think anyone else knows about my craziness with cars and highlighter green, haha. now to the reefing toys!

Edited by monkiboy

I can't wait to see this all put together. With your fish list, plumbing, lights, custom rock, it's going to be "mind bottling"

(edited)

so i've had a couple months at least now with the skimmer and so far so good. the DC5500s from RO have proven to be an awesome pump choice for grey seas/avast standard 12.

i have one of the at about 65% and the the other at 80% with the gate valve fully open on the drain from the skimmer and she has settled in nicely and producing wonderfully putrid skimmate.

the wall of tiny bubbles looks like someone poured low fat milk in the body and they can only be seen as tiny little bubbles if you really look hard. the swabbie is helping keep things running tip top. i do need to do some adjustment as it will skip sections of the neck and cup and with too much pressure doesn't work right, i need to work on finding the sweet spot with the hard edge of the swabbie or possibly swap out for a more squeegee type blade.

8e235cbb-c1bb-4cbc-95ce-3910a504bcae_zps

at the moment with these settings i am removing a full cup of skimmate as shown below about every four days or so. this is about 3g or so. i haven't decided on what size locker i want to run yet so i'm just draining to a 5g bucket and dumping far from the house Sick.gif every few days.

9f04da47-9f96-49f7-bdf1-c1abe83b6c89_zps

things are going smoothly so far but still have a lot to do. i still have a pile of wires in the fish room and random power strips. need to get those mounted on a wall, wires sleeved and organized, and figure out a power shelf or cabinet either blocked off to the right of the sump or above the tank or on the ball wall of the fish room behind the tank but don't know which and what wires need to be what length and which i will be able to extend etc especially with the apex and various modules and probes and power cords for all peripherals.

but baby steps, diligence, and patience will get 'er done...

Edited by monkiboy

I can't wait to see this all put together. With your fish list, plumbing, lights, custom rock, it's going to be "mind bottling"

i know - i'm muy excited, too.

one thing i'm noticing more in this tank (don't know why but perhaps just because of size) is that the extra wait time and not rushing to do a ton of fish and corals all at once has made the "stages" of the cycle more evident and i've really appreciated seeing parts of the tank go through them with the diatoms, life being able to multiply freely, algae, etc and there's definitely a harmonic balance/equilibrium being reached and it's very obvious and i get a lot of surface area to see it happening which is fun even without a ton of livestock yet! that being said, i'm uber excited for a ton of wrasse pairs and harems of anthias which are my first fish to go in. as i do that i think i'll have a few corals out of qt by then and can start with those tester SPS frags and get levels balanced. i still need to pick up my dosing pump (vertex libra) so that i can build my cabinet around it, though. but yes, exciting. sorry for the long tangent.

Wow that's some serious skimming. Is that just from the cycling 265?

i added another dc10500 a few weeks ago, cleaned up and plumbed my 40 refugium and 50 frag tank adjacent to the display tank in the fish room and have some macro going there as well. i haven't had a chance to work on the 46 bow upstairs yet in order to get it plumbed into this system downstairs. it was about 7 years old now and lots of scratches so i picked up a new one a while ago and will be swapping them out and redoing my overflow with a secondary redundancy and an IT2060 and then use the existing plumbing to route the drain into the 90g sump downstairs and into the same system. it'll be around 600g with the frag tanks, macro/fuge, sump, displays, and nem propagation system (which in reading caflo's articles maybe needs to be separated along).

Wow that skimmer is a hoss. I missed it but what are you running for your return pump(s)? Still using the seaswirl?

i'm using two RO DC10500s. one to a manifold and feeding the other tanks (fuge/macro and frag) and the other to a single return of the display. not using the sea-swirl anymore as i'll rely on the vortechs for randomized flow in the tank and sold them both. i do have one 3/4 sea swirl as return to my upper macro/fuge, though and working nicely. simple and effective.

Lookin' good, Marco. Got my skimmer up and running again with two DC6000's. They run a lot cooler than the DC5000's that failed on me. How are you feeding the skimmer?

Lookin' good, Marco. Got my skimmer up and running again with two DC6000's. They run a lot cooler than the DC5000's that failed on me. How are you feeding the skimmer?

thank you, sir. how are you measuring that - just based on tank temperatures or taking a temperature at the body of the pump? i have two RO DC5500s feeding the skimmer.

Interesting reactor, how do you load the media?

it completely disassembles for loading/unloading/maitenance. so you just remove the top load your media with no separator plate or you can load two and use the additional plate in between and then the top just friction fits on top of the inner assembly and then that slides on top with an o-ring to seal and have a twist plate with six or so thumbscrews to evenly seal.

thank you, sir. how are you measuring that - just based on tank temperatures or taking a temperature at the body of the pump? i have two RO DC5500s feeding the skimmer.

You're feeding it with two DC5500's? That seems like a lot of flow through the skimmer. My feed pump's a single Mag 5. The slower feed allows you to push more air into the body and turn the recirculating pumps up a bit if you want. I thought about feeding it directly from the overflow, but didn't want to go into the extra plumbing.

As for the temperature, it's just a qualitative measurement - putting my hand on it. It definitely runs cooler than the DC5000's did. I could put an IR temperature probe on it since I have one. Maybe I'll do that and take measurements over time to ensure the case temperature remains stable.

You're feeding it with two DC5500's? That seems like a lot of flow through the skimmer. My feed pump's a single Mag 5. The slower feed allows you to push more air into the body and turn the recirculating pumps up a bit if you want. I thought about feeding it directly from the overflow, but didn't want to go into the extra plumbing.

As for the temperature, it's just a qualitative measurement - putting my hand on it. It definitely runs cooler than the DC5000's did. I could put an IR temperature probe on it since I have one. Maybe I'll do that and take measurements over time to ensure the case temperature remains stable.

remember our conversation from a few months ago when i was getting it modded - dan and i decided to go non-recirculating on this bad boy.

remember our conversation from a few months ago when i was getting it modded - dan and i decided to go non-recirculating on this bad boy.

Ah, that's right. I'd forgotten that our configurations were very similar, but not identical.

on dd tonight - a. achilles x a. nigricans (achilles goldrim hybrid tang)

lg-1029131-279_zpsdcd8b564.jpg

well there goes wanting just a "regular" awesome looking achilles, haha.

Wow! Gorgeous...is he yours yet??

oh yea! a show-size achilles for one of my first fish, haha!

Good grief thats a pretty fish.

I KNOW! now if we can only find this guy as a juvie 3 months from now.