Newbie, SoMD, 1st marine tank.

Hello everyone. Thanks for offering this site, I have already learned quite a bit through lurking over the past couple of weeks.

I was a long-time dreamer about marine aquariums, that was when it was out of my league financially and all tanks had to be 50 gallons or larger with a protien skimmer and metal halides. While I understand that those things can be helpful; I better understand that they are no longer hard-and-fast rules.

Just tonight I set up my first marine tank, a biocube 14 that I picked up used. It was upgraded by the previous owner it would seem. Additional PC bulb, fans, inTank bits, LED 'fuge light, and a maxi-jet 900 powerhead pump. But oddly no stand, so that was my first project and priority. I will post pics of that in the next couple days. As I hope my story will tell, I am a DIY-er at heart.

My hopes for my tank are to have a nano reef to include easy/hardy corals, a goby, a crab, a shrimp, and hopefully a percula clown. I may have to reevaluate my stocking though.

In my tank now I have about 7 pounds of live rock, 3-ish pounds of lace rock base, 10 lbs of caribisea reef sand, and a dust cloud ;).

Edited by Jeff721

WELCOME!!!!! You are going to be addicted very quickly and that 14 will be a pleasant sweet memory as you stare at your huge honking tank in no time!

You have come to the right place, as this is the one of the most incredible reef clubs filled with people whose hearts and knowledge are larger than any that I have ever encountered in such a club. Consider joining...its the best $20 you will EVER spend in this addiction....I mean hobby :tongue:

Thanks!

Consider joining...its the best $20 you will EVER spend in this addiction....I mean hobby :tongue:

I almot certainly will, just a matter of when. I already belong to two other fish clubs in the area. I should have done it before blowing my paycheck on live rock :D

Thanks!

I almot certainly will, just a matter of when. I already belong to two other fish clubs in the area. I should have done it before blowing my paycheck on live rock :D

perhaps,,,but there is NONE better than WAMAS....you gotta trust me on this.....

Welcome, Jeff. Feel free to tell us more about your setup and to ask questions. We have a warm, welcoming, and very active community here.

WELCOME!!!!! You are going to be addicted very quickly and that 14 will be a pleasant sweet memory as you stare at your huge honking tank in no time!

You have come to the right place, as this is the one of the most incredible reef clubs filled with people whose hearts and knowledge are larger than any that I have ever encountered in such a club. Consider joining...its the best $20 you will EVER spend in this addiction....I mean hobby :tongue:

Welcome! Yeah, I'll echo the $20, pay it as soon as you can, it'll certainly be worth it's weight in gold! I started with a BC14 as well 4 months ago. You're goals sound easily attainable, of being a goby, crab, shrimp, and a perc (you can probably put a juvie pair in there, I did! As for corals, unless you do something something than the compact florescent, I would suggest sticking with LPS.

Thanks for the welcomes folks. I am going to start a thread soon on my tank, like today-ish.

I am in Accokeek specifically.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome, and so glad to see that you attended today's meeting - what a great way to start! The bigger tanks are always really tempting (my first tank was my 90 g), but in case you can't tell from my signature I really love the flexibility you get from the smaller tanks. I can't wait to see how yours looks as it settles in and you stock it up!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.

Hilary, I agree, nanos are great, I find myself a bit too attention devoid to stick with one larger tank at a time. Right now I've got the 'cube, a 55 gallon freshwater cichlid tank, a 40 breeder fw planted tank, and a 10 gallon hospital/quarentine/whatever_i_want_i_can't_decide_this_week tank.