Evergrow Group Buy Configuration Questions

DaveS

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than a week to go now. Any update on the dimmable drivers for the D120's?

nothing yet. it's an independent opportunity from the group buy as they are coming from a different source. for those that are interested, they can ship their lights to reefbreeders or simply purchase the dimmable drivers for DIY installation through a separate group buy i will put together once the opportunity has been locked down and all details worked out.

Any chance of getting the info the current drivers they use in the D120's?

If we had the specifications so we knew whether the existing drivers were D or P type and the output voltage and amp it would make it easier to me (and likely other people) to make a decision as even if the separate group buy falls through we would have the information to do a bit of DIY and still make them controllable.

Depending on the type of controller people have it may be as simple as disconnecting the wires from the dimming knobs on top and running them to their controller.

Any chance of getting the info the current drivers they use in the D120's?

If we had the specifications so we knew whether the existing drivers were D or P type and the output voltage and amp it would make it easier to me (and likely other people) to make a decision as even if the separate group buy falls through we would have the information to do a bit of DIY and still make them controllable.

Depending on the type of controller people have it may be as simple as disconnecting the wires from the dimming knobs on top and running them to their controller.

this option was the first explored. in order to complete the task, you'd in the end basically end up DIY'ing a new light fixture, with new fans, harnesses, wiring, etc. i'm pretty confident we will make this happen on the 1-10v controllable drivers. just sit tight for a bit and don't fret - i'm aggressively and diligently pursuing this opportunity for the community. Edited by monkiboy

I'm going to get two of the D120's for my current frag tank, 36"x18"x8", with hope to upgrade to a 48"x24"x12" Deep Blue 60 frag soon. Plan to hang the lights probably 8-10" above water.

I am thinking that I should get the 120dg optics since the tanks I'm lighting are so shallow. Does that make sense?

Anyone have an opinion on whether I should get 90 or 120dg optics?

Anyone have an opinion on whether I should get 90 or 120dg optics?

i would go 90 to avoid light spill unless in a canopy, borrow the PAR meter, and turn your potentiometers accordingly to get what you are looking for.

i would go 90 to avoid light spill unless in a canopy, borrow the PAR meter, and turn your potentiometers accordingly to get what you are looking for.

Don't have a canopy. Was more worried that with such a shallow tank that I would burn up the corals. From what I get that you're saying is to just turn down the intensity of the lights so I might be running these lights on like 20 or 30%?

Don't have a canopy. Was more worried that with such a shallow tank that I would burn up the corals. From what I get that you're saying is to just turn down the intensity of the lights so I might be running these lights on like 20 or 30%?

This may help will the acclimation process. One D120 mounted 10". Layout is 2.5 blues/1 White.

nikebPARReadingFeb2013_zpsb2408bc9.jpg

This may help will the acclimation process. One D120 mounted 10". Layout is 2.5 blues/1 White.

nikebPARReadingFeb2013_zpsb2408bc9.jpg

I don't understand. What I'm guessing is that I would start out at like 5% and build up to 20 or 30% max on such a shallow tank using the 90dg optics or I would fry my corals.

if you don't care about light spill then do as you wish. it doesn't really matter as long as it's used on those shallow tanks. yes, just turn the intensity down. it will likely be less than 20% as these guys are quite powerful, especially if the water height is 8" you can burn those corals quickly.

ridetheducati has provided some great information, use it and the board's PAR meter to keep your corals happy under the new fixtures. also remember that it is ridiculously easy to swap optics and incredibly affordable to buy extra (especially through the current group buy) if you want to play around with it when you get them for your setup.

g'luck!

You can start out at whatever intensity you want, but closely monitor the corals. The LED's are a lot more intense. Most people start them with a very low intensity and work there way up to the intensity/color that they like.

Any ideas on what kind of optics they are and other sources to get more? I know we can get more from Evergrow as part of the GB but as before, I'm looking at what it would take to get 40 deg optics if wanted.

Not sure where to start looking for them. If they were Cree I could just go find XPE/XPG or whatever optics. It's not clear which LEDs they are therefore it's hard to figure out how to find compatible ones elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Any ideas on what kind of optics they are and other sources to get more? I know we can get more from Evergrow as part of the GB but as before, I'm looking at what it would take to get 40 deg optics if wanted.

Not sure where to start looking for them. If they were Cree I could just go find XPE/XPG or whatever optics. It's not clear which LEDs they are therefore it's hard to figure out how to find compatible ones elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

no information on the optics or where to get more outside of evergrow that are a confirmed fit. you'll have to take your chance at ebay or similar outfit. a few folks tried a couple ebay variety without luck or they DIY'd them to work with adhesive.

there are a lot of options on ebay that look really close but the ones that have been attempted do not work like the ones provided by evergrow. once you get them, i'm sure having something to reference will help a good deal. in the mean time hopefully 60° optics will suit your application sufficiently.

Four D120s mounted perpendicular 3" above the water line. 90 degree optics. The tank is 6x2x2.

samplelight_zps45ca2499.jpg

Why did you mount them so close to the water? Why not 6"-8" and lose the shot light effect? Are the PAR reading you posted from this tank? Sorry for so many question trying to figure out what to order. Thanks.

Why did you mount them so close to the water? Why not 6"-8" and lose the shot light effect? Are the PAR reading you posted from this tank? Sorry for so many question trying to figure out what to order. Thanks.

That picture is not my tank, please see my build thread for additional PAR information. I posted this picture to show what 90 degree optics look like at 3". A few posts ago, someone was interested in 90 degree optics at 3 inches.

Edited by ridetheducati

Thanks for the help.

If 40 degree optics are a show stopper, you may want to consider DIY.

#donttrythisathomewithouthelmet

Edited by ridetheducati

I don't understand. What I'm guessing is that I would start out at like 5% and build up to 20 or 30% max on such a shallow tank using the 90dg optics or I would fry my corals.

Now I get that, I couldn't see the chart on my work computer, I thought it was a picture

Has anyone completed their it2080 LED configuration spreadsheet yet and willing to share it and why you decided to go with the configuration that you did? Thanks.

Again, this thread exists for people too lazy to comb through piles of RC threads.

Anyone seen good diybthread to install 0-10V controller options for dimming?

Thanks.

Yea I kow he is hopeful on an option and I really look forward to it. On the per hand he's mentioned DIY options ANSI was just hoping to rad about me to see what the "worst case" would be.

Thanks.

(edited)

Monkiboy is working with the company now on that but no real details right now.

yes, still going at it.

Yea I kow he is hopeful on an option and I really look forward to it. On the per hand he's mentioned DIY options ANSI was just hoping to rad about me to see what the "worst case" would be.

eek - i have no idea what was trying to be said here...

latest is we are having bad luck with the 0-10v drivers. we initially found a company that manufactures them in some fixtures but so far they are not willing to sell them without their piece of junk controller which prices it out as an option and is a waste as it isn't compatible with our lights. still trying to negotiate and find other solutions. i'll update as more information comes along.

Edited by monkiboy