Evergrow Group Buy Configuration Questions

DaveS

I have a couple of questions.

what is the spectrum, and what is the angle? What do the drivers handle? Sorry, I know these are all basics. I have seen the evergrow lights, and I really like the looks of what I've seen.

John and I have the same tank, and he's gone with it2080 / 5 (480nm) FREE / 5 (120°) FREE

Would it be agreed that this would be a good option for 36x18x20 tank?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of questions.

what is the spectrum, and what is the angle? What do the drivers handle? Sorry, I know these are all basics. I have seen the evergrow lights, and I really like the looks of what I've seen.

John and I have the same tank, and he's gone with it2080 / 5 (480nm) FREE / 5 (120°) FREE

Would it be agreed that this would be a good option for 36x18x20 tank?

It seems that a lot of us have 36x18 tanks. I also have an order in for the it2080 and I think this is the best bet for the amount of light it produces (99 LEDs) and full coverage of the 36" tank. If you're on a budget and can hang the light higher (8" or so) above the tank, I've been told an it2060 will give you full coverage of a 36" tank. If you're on a budget and don't need the ability to program/control the unit, 2 d120's would work well.

Hey fishcam,

I've read a lot of threads regarding coverage of these units. I'm setting up the exact same size tank (40b) and have decided to go with 1 photon 32 because it will give you the full coverage of the tank. As someone mentioned, 2 photon 32's will be way overkill. I've heard that if you can hang the fixture at least 6-8" above the water surface, you could get by with 1 photon 24 with either 90 or 120 optics. I am planning on having the fixture in a canopy only 3-4" above the tank, so that's why I'm going with the 32 w 90 optics (could probably even go with 60's). You could get 2 photon 16's, but 1 photon 32 is cheaper than 2 16's. Hope this helps.

I do not know anything about your setup, but if you plan to mount the LEDs 3-4" above the water line, consider the 120 degree optics. 90 degree optics at that height will show shadows. Again, I have no idea what your plans are, for that matter, you may want shadows. Generally, the closer a LED fixture to the water the wider the optics.

If I was setting up a 40 breeder SPS tank, I would get either two D120s (non-controllable) or one Photon24, or one Photon32 (controllable). Preferably the Photon32. Mounted 10" above the water line.

Edited by ridetheducati

I do not know anything about your setup, but if you plan to mount the LEDs 3-4" above the water line, consider the 120 degree optics. 90 degree optics at that height will show shadows. Again, I have no idea what your plans are, for that matter, you may want shadows. Generally, the closer a LED fixture to the water the wider the optics.

If I was setting up a 40 breeder SPS tank, I would get either two D120s (non-controllable) or one Photon24, or one Photon32 (controllable). Preferably the Photon32. Mounted 10" above the water line.

D120's are out for me since I want to control them. I do not want shadows and was going with the photon 32 to prevent that. I was under the impression that even with the 90 degree optics, I would have no shadows since there are only 2" on each side of the fixture.

D120's are out for me since I want to control them. I do not want shadows and was going with the photon 32 to prevent that. I was under the impression that even with the 90 degree optics, I would have no shadows since there are only 2" on each side of the fixture.

At 3" above the water line and 90 degree optics there will be shadows, albeit minimal, in between the LEDs. I am not talking about the ends of the fixture.

The best way I can explain it is if light was above a cross brace. Minimal, but it is there. Again, at 3" above the water line, 120 degree optics would eliminate the shadow.

Edited by ridetheducati

It seems that a lot of us have 36x18 tanks. I also have an order in for the it2080 and I think this is the best bet for the amount of light it produces (99 LEDs) and full coverage of the 36" tank. If you're on a budget and can hang the light higher (8" or so) above the tank, I've been told an it2060 will give you full coverage of a 36" tank. If you're on a budget and don't need the ability to program/control the unit, 2 d120's would work well.

I can do the it2080, I will research modding it later, just interested in getting one I can dim and control via apex.

At 3" above the water line and 90 degree optics there will be shadows, albeit minimal, in between the LEDs. I am not talking about the ends of the fixture.

Interesting. I haven't really thought about that, but theoretically, I can see how this could be the case. Have you actually seen these shadows with these actual fixtures or are you just assuming based on what you know about LEDs in general? I'm not questioning you; just want to make sure I make the right decision on this fixture. Thanks.

The fixture is good and will provide adequate PAR, I just ask that you consider the optics that you plan to use.

What happens to a flash light beam from 20" above the water surface and what happens to the same light from three inches? Think of LEDs as a bundle of small flashlights.

Do you have the flexibility to raise the fixture to say 6-8" if needed?

The fixture is good and will provide adequate PAR, I just ask that you consider the optics that you plan to use.

What happens to a flash light beam from 20" above the water surface and what happens to the same light from three inches? Think of LEDs as a bundle of small flashlights.

Do you have the flexibility to raise the fixture to say 6-8" if needed?

I understand the theory/concept of what you are saying, I was just hoping that 3-4" would be enough distance to have the light disperse. If I really had to, I could raise the fixture, but I was hoping to suspend it in my current canopy. Another factor in why I was leaning towards 90's is (and I'm not sure if this is true), but I've read on multiple Reef Breeder threads that if you simply take off the 90 degree optics, it naturally becomes 120 degrees. If that really is the case, I would rather get the fixture with 90 degree optics and take them off if needed as opposed to getting 120 degree optics and wishing I had gotten 90's.

...but I've read on multiple Reef Breeder threads that if you simply take off the 90 degree optics, it naturally becomes 120 degrees.

the LEDs of the evergrow fixtures are 90° optic LEDs.

Another factor in why I was leaning towards 90's is (and I'm not sure if this is true), but I've read on multiple Reef Breeder threads that if you simply take off the 90 degree optics, it naturally becomes 120 degrees. If that really is the case, I would rather get the fixture with 90 degree optics and take them off if needed as opposed to getting 120 degree optics and wishing I had gotten 90's.

This is no longer the case. The bare diodes are also 90 degree, actually, someone from RC determined that its more than 90 but less than 120. Also, Reefbreeders confirmed it as well. This is the primary reason I ask you to consider the 120 optics.

Are you sure? Take a look at post #2 of the following two threads. The "Reef_Breeders" guy says that no optics is 120 degrees.

http://reefcentral.c...7&highlight=120

http://reefcentral.c...6&highlight=120

@Marco - can you send Logan a message to verify which diodes are currently being used?

"the 90° optics are on the LEDs themselves. they have about a 120° spread equivalent."

"the 90° optics are on the LEDs themselves. they have about a 120° spread equivalent."

I'm still a bit confused about this. The 90 deg optics have a 120 deg spread?

I'm still a bit confused about this. The 90 deg optics have a 120 deg spread?

+1

The 90° optics which are the ones built into the diode itself have wider spread than the 90° secondary optics, the ones that snap on. the 120° secondary optics have similar spread to the LEDs with no secondary optics.

The 90° optics which are the ones built into the diode itself have wider spread than the 90° secondary optics, the ones that snap on. the 120° secondary optics have similar spread to the LEDs with no secondary optics.

Ok, this is what I understood from the other threads I've read. If you simply remove the 90° secondary optics and went with no secondary optics, the spread will be approximately the same as if you had 120° secondary optics on there to begin with.

I have a 156G 6'x24"x22"deep, more like 18" deep since my DSB is 4".

Would I need 2 or 3 D120 using the standard configuration ?

Must the D120s be hung from the ceiling ?

For fish only I'd think two fixtures would be more than enough. For a mixed reef I would go with three fixtures using the 2'x2' coverage area rule of thumb for them.

OK thanks all for the info. I think 1x 32 with 90 optics. will do. maybe I will get fancy and switch the optics of the red and green LED's to 120. Too bad 2x32s is way overkill, I was looking forward to being able to land a plane with my tank! :laugh:

I'm going to get two of the D120's for my current frag tank, 36"x18"x8", with hope to upgrade to a 48"x24"x12" Deep Blue 60 frag soon. Plan to hang the lights probably 8-10" above water.

I am thinking that I should get the 120dg optics since the tanks I'm lighting are so shallow. Does that make sense?