Evergrow Group Buy Configuration Questions

DaveS

I hate combing through 100+ page threads on RC. I suspect I'm not the only one. I'm starting a thread here to get some of my questions answered because:

a) I'm lazy and I know a bunch of others who are too

b) I don't want to gum up the GB thread with chatter

c) there are a bunch of people in WAMAS from 3 prior GBs who probably know lots answers

d) it will help non-members get a sense of what they are missing since they need to join to get access to huge savings in group buys.

For those who are thinking about joining the GB but have questions, feel free to post here.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here are my initial questions:

1) I want to get the 0-10V dimmable option to hook into my Apex. What should I do/specify?

2) I'd like to get some 45 degree optics but the narrowest I see so far is 60. Anyone know if that's an option?

I keep my fixtures about 18" above the water. My current DIY led fixture has 60s in the middle and 45 deg lenses on the sides and it seems to work just right. Not much light spill at all for the height.

Ok here are my initial questions:

1) I want to get the 0-10V dimmable option to hook into my Apex. What should I do/specify?

2) I'd like to get some 45 degree optics but the narrowest I see so far is 60. Anyone know if that's an option?

the 1-10v dimmable drivers are something that i am working a separate purchase of with reefbreeders. the chinese new year/spring festival has halted a lot of ongoing communication we had prior to the event, and we are picking things back up, negotiating the lowest prices possible, figuring out the logistics of getting the fixtures direct from evergrow to reefbreeders, and an option to provide the drivers to the DIY'er for their own installation. so for the time being get the fixture(s) that works best for you and your goals and soon i'll be posting more information on the 1-10v dimmable drivers.

what kind of LEDs are you using on your existing fixtures? the LEDs on the evergrow units have 90° optics as part of their design. like ridetheducati said, i really can't imagine you would need anything more narrow than a 60° optic. i would try to stop by a home with a tank that has these lights to check out your concerns with these specific units and varying optics.

The 40 degree optics are used for deeper tanks like Daves plus the fact that he has them 18" above the water. 60's are fine for the general population but nothing wrong with 40's for a specific application. 90's tend to be too wide to allow coverage of a larger area but less focused intense light getting there.

@monkiboy- are you a part of reefbreeders?

If we can get confirmation on being able to order controllable dimmers I might be interested. Working out prices now to see how much more it would cost me to build my own setup from RapidLED, the Evergrow fixtures will be way cheaper so the only thing holding me back is lack of intergration with my Reef Angel controller.

I know that CREE LED's are a bit more efficient than the BrightLUX that EverGrow uses but does anyone know how much and can anyone really notice a large difference? If I were to build a fixture from Rapid LED it would have about half as many LED's and I doubt that the BrightLUX are that less efficient.

Does anyone have opinions on the optics for the supplimental colors like UV, Green, and Red? Keep the same optics (90) or go for 120 so the spread is better since they're really just there to bring out colors in corals?

And would two D120 fixtures be sufficient for a 90G?

Thanks for starting this DaveS.

When do you guys think you will start taking orders for the next group buy? I was intrested in the last one but was too late to add an order.

Add me to the list of folks interested in an LED group buy,

When do you guys think you will start taking orders for the next group buy? I was intrested in the last one but was too late to add an order.

The group buy is open, check the group buy forum.

Edited by John

The 40 degree optics are used for deeper tanks like Daves plus the fact that he has them 18" above the water. 60's are fine for the general population but nothing wrong with 40's for a specific application. 90's tend to be too wide to allow coverage of a larger area but less focused intense light getting there.

@monkiboy- are you a part of reefbreeders?

yeah, i think you have a point given how high he has them mounted up above a 30" tall tank. there are members on here and RC with 27" and taller tanks with 90° optics very happy but hung lower. i still think 60° will be a better solution at his hanging height and with his tall tank for the reasons ridetheducati mentioned, though. ridetheducati posted a really nice PAR reading graph from his 27" tall tank and i believe that was 90° optics. correct me if i'm wrong, tony.

all the information, in detail, is in the group buy thread, linked here - http://wamas.org/for...-led-groupbuy-4

check it out! the more, the merrier.

If we can get confirmation on being able to order controllable dimmers I might be interested. Working out prices now to see how much more it would cost me to build my own setup from RapidLED, the Evergrow fixtures will be way cheaper so the only thing holding me back is lack of intergration with my Reef Angel controller.

I know that CREE LED's are a bit more efficient than the BrightLUX that EverGrow uses but does anyone know how much and can anyone really notice a large difference? If I were to build a fixture from Rapid LED it would have about half as many LED's and I doubt that the BrightLUX are that less efficient.

Does anyone have opinions on the optics for the supplemental colors like UV, Green, and Red? Keep the same optics (90) or go for 120 so the spread is better since they're really just there to bring out colors in corals?

And would two D120 fixtures be sufficient for a 90G?

the 1-10v dimmers i am working on. it's about 90% figured out. just working out the best pricing we can with the manufacturer, how to package it for purchase with lights, on their own for the DIY'er and making sure support is available for those looking to add them to current fixtures.

you can check out the RC threads i link to in the group buy thread. read bhazard's contribution to the most recent thread. he had DIY CREE fixtures, mazspect, radions (first gen and 2nd) and compares them in the thread. in the end he swapped all his units out for the evergrows and keeps his CREE fixture for testing purposes. you are right in that the CREE are more efficient but bhazard prefers the evergrow because of price-point, reliability, performance, etc. you can DIY a much more power fixture and CREE has some LEDs that bridgelux does not and vice versa, but you don't need any more performance out of a fixture than what evergrow will deliver.

most folks use 120° on their reds and greens for optimal spread. it's not typical to do so on the UV LEDs but UV LEDs are not available in this group buy as they are working on providing a better offering. that's what's awesome about the DIY fixtures and the evergrows is that you can order up extra optics and LEDs and easily swap them. and you can pick them up even cheaper now through this most recent group buy i posted. so you can play with it and figure out what works best for you.

two d120s would be sufficient for most on a 48" x 18" tank. if you're trying to keep SPS along the edges and corners, it likely would not.

Edited by monkiboy

yeah, i think you have a point given how high he has them mounted up above a 30" tall tank. there are members on here and RC with 27" and taller tanks with 90° optics very happy but hung lower. i still think 60° will be a better solution at his hanging height and with his tall tank for the reasons ridetheducati mentioned, though. ridetheducati posted a really nice PAR reading graph from his 27" tall tank and i believe that was 90° optics. correct me if i'm wrong, tony.

That is correct. I posted PAR numbers from 10" and 15" above the water surface. I am no longer providing recommendations unless specifically requested.

Ill post my diagram here tonight, but i have 2 red and some green on both of my fixtures (2 d120s for my 3ft 50g tank, set 8 inches above water) i have the 120 optics on the r&g and love that along with the 90s on eberything else...my tank is still getting used to the white so it is wayyyy dialled down (less than 20%) but i raise it a degree or 2 every 4 days....

Guess I'll wait and see what the options with the dimmers turns out to be. Bit more comfortable building my own setup but honestly it's darn tough to pass up saving about 50%. Kind of wish the D120's were a bit bigger, not entirely sure that two will be enough for my 90G but I guess I could always build a strip or two of DIY LED's to suppliment if I need to in the long run.

Has anyone else used the D120's over a 90G?

Right now I'm thinking of basically copying the layout that ReefBreeders uses for their D120 as they claim it comes out to about a 14K look, which is really what I am looking for. There any obvious issue there that might concern me?

I am interested in joining in on this groupbuy but I can not see the appropriate forum. Is it member-only? I think my membership ran out so who can I send payment to for access?

Also, When is the order date?

Thanks.

I am interested in joining in on this groupbuy but I can not see the appropriate forum. Is it member-only? I think my membership ran out so who can I send payment to for access?

Also, When is the order date?

Thanks.

Yes. Group buys are Members-Only.

Please click on the Join button at the top of the page and follow the instructions there. If you use PayPal's Instant Payment, conversion to Member status is immediate.

The order window opens on Feb 27 and closes March 4.

Yes. Group buys are Members-Only.

Please click on the Join button at the top of the page and follow the instructions there. If you use PayPal's Instant Payment, conversion to Member status is immediate.

The order window opens on Feb 27 and closes March 4.

Awesome, just joined. That was fast. Last time I joined it took a few days. Thanks.

Guess I'll wait and see what the options with the dimmers turns out to be. Bit more comfortable building my own setup but honestly it's darn tough to pass up saving about 50%. Kind of wish the D120's were a bit bigger, not entirely sure that two will be enough for my 90G but I guess I could always build a strip or two of DIY LED's to suppliment if I need to in the long run.

Has anyone else used the D120's over a 90G?

Right now I'm thinking of basically copying the layout that ReefBreeders uses for their D120 as they claim it comes out to about a 14K look, which is really what I am looking for. There any obvious issue there that might concern me?

One D120 will provide ample PAR for a 24"x24" area. If your tank is 48", you need two.

Awesome, just joined. That was fast. Last time I joined it took a few days. Thanks.

Haha- Officers, I'll take my commission in frags. :laugh:

Please, if you are interested in the GB, go to that thread to ensure it is known. This is intended to be a QA thread, not the GB thread.

Back on topic, does anyone know if 45 degree optics are an option? We can debate the soundness of that choice independently.

Thanks.

Haha- Officers, I'll take my commission in frags. :laugh:

Please, if you are interested in the GB, go to that thread to ensure it is known. This is intended to be a QA thread, not the GB thread.

Back on topic, does anyone know if 45 degree optics are an option? We can debate the soundness of that choice independently.

Thanks.

60°, 90°, & 120° are the only available options through the group buy. you can try your luck with fitment with the ebay variety and options.

Does anyone have one of these fixtures on a 36"x18" footprint (i.e. 65g, 40b, 30b) tank? If so, did you get the 24" or 32" fixture? I've heard the 24" will work if you hang it 6-8" above the tank; however, I plan to hang it in a canopy only 3-4" above the tank, so maybe I need to go with the 32"? If anyone has any firsthand insight or pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 d120s over my 36 x 18 (50g)... set long ways....

As far as the biocube....you could remove the top and figure out a mount....you should not attempt to put this in your hood as the fans are in the top so you would over heat unless you cut out the top?