Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Nice, I have had thoughts myself of getting a baby hippo. But will probably settle on a yellow tang.

What is the time estimate for it to outgrow your 57?

A year. Will keep it documented for others.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be fine for a year.   Plus it just gives you another reason to upgrade sooner :)  tank looks good.

I will stand buy that a 3/4" fish no matter what fish will not be an issue in his tank. I bought a hippo 6 months ago a similar size and it has not exploded in size by any means. I will stand by with issac that the fish is fine for a year and then you can reevaluate it.

It should be fine for a year.   Plus it just gives you another reason to upgrade sooner :)  tank looks good.

Yes sir, I agree. There is a glimmer of hope at maybe winning that raffle 150g tank. My fiance would be more accommodating to a tank being won as opposed to being bought. I even have the rock ready for it! 

I will stand buy that a 3/4" fish no matter what fish will not be an issue in his tank. I bought a hippo 6 months ago a similar size and it has not exploded in size by any means. I will stand by with issac that the fish is fine for a year and then you can reevaluate it.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate it. This is one of those things that makes the hobby unique is everybody has different opinions. I hope that those who disagree will encourage an upgrade, and focus on all the great things I have done with the tank!

My clowns have never been aggressive, last night the female was having a GO at the magnet float. She chased it clear across the tank and swam back to her RBTA. Seems to me like maybe it's spawning time?

th_IMG_0242_zps5416d49f.jpg

that'd be neat if it was but clowns are crazy. mine does the same with my glass cleaner. trying to nip and chase it all over and never did it before. but it is only the female and usually the male is the one that will get more aggressive in my experience when eggs are laid. women are just fickle like that ;)

that'd be neat if it was but clowns are crazy. mine does the same with my glass cleaner. trying to nip and chase it all over and never did it before. but it is only the female and usually the male is the one that will get more aggressive in my experience when eggs are laid. women are just fickle like that ;)

Haha, yeaaaah.

That's a shame, I thought there was a good thing going, my clowns are wild, no doubt about it. It was nice to see her "defend" I guess. I don't know if you can tell in the video, but I messed with her for a bit just to see her come at it.

post-2633508-137428440074_thumb.jpg

post-2633508-137428442331_thumb.jpg

post-2633508-137428443728_thumb.jpg

Things were looking good tonight, snapped a few pics.

really looks more and more developed and established every time you post!

Thanks sir, I'm seeing polyps I didn't know existed, I feel the same way!

Sneek Peek:

DSC_0280_zps76114840.jpg

DSC_0285_zps02374a04.jpg

DSC_0290_zps72545ca4.jpg

DSC_0296_zpsb548c873.jpg

Man, that tank is getting full...it's almost as if you need a tank upgrade...I think a 150 would be perfect.....

I was just going to say that, haha. You need more room for those nice corals. If you could get your fiancee to agree to it, you should totally get a bigger tank.

The tank looks really good and nice stuff on the frag rack.

Thanks! The frag rack is loaded with awesome corals. It's going to be a fun ride growing them out!

Man, that tank is getting full...it's almost as if you need a tank upgrade...I think a 150 would be perfect.....

I agree, something down along the right side wall of my apartment....

I was just going to say that, haha. You need more room for those nice corals. If you could get your fiancee to agree to it, you should totally get a bigger tank.

Alan, I got the go ahead from the Misses. I had planted the seed, so I think she was somewhat ready for it. She said "I don't know if I should kill you, or be happy for you..." Needless to say, she's already helping plan how we are going to squeeze it in. She did make it clear that it would not be 2 big a** tanks 1 room. I've got a lot of planning to do, and hope to have everything moved in this weekend if I can get it all organized. I'd like to at least start filling it up and getting my rock cycled again.

A double in size leaves me with a lot of things to think about. Lights, water movement, electricity, skimmer, pumps, well, everybody else here knows how it goes!

My first thought was lighting. I think at this stage the d120's would have been a good grab for an almost 7 foot long tank, although not in the budget right now, and IMO a little too much clutter. I'm considering another IT2080 and coping with the loss of spread on the edges or in between the two. I'm interested in furthering this quickly, as I might jump in on group buy #7. 

I think I have enough rock, and would like to plan all the things I wanted to do differently this time around. I am thinking bare bottom, or maybe starboard, although at this stage, I'm wondering if I can even be bothered. I would like to take the crushed coral I have in my tank now and scatter in what I plan to be a low flow area. This will hopefully transfer over all my great diversity of life, but I'm hoping will be enough for my pistol shrimp, who maybe I might have to get rid of if this is the case. I believe my goby has expired, but maybe I will find it somewhere in the back of my tank? 

These are some of the thoughts that kept me up last night. 

I also worry about what if when I go bigger I don't have as much success as I've had with my 57!? Maybe I did well with it because it was a manageable starting point? Either way, challenge accepted, no regrets!

Alan, I got the go ahead from the Misses. I had planted the seed, so I think she was somewhat ready for it. She said "I don't know if I should kill you, or be happy for you..."

My wife was unambiguous, by the way.  She said, "I can't believe you considered it."  heh.

With a 6 foot tank, you've got a lot of options for lighting.    If you're happy with the d120 over your tank now, why not just go with those and then add more as your budget allows.  You can just keep your main reef structure under the lights you have and the canopy hides a lot of the clutter.  

With a 6 foot tank, you've got a lot of options for lighting.    If you're happy with the d120 over your tank now, why not just go with those and then add more as your budget allows.  You can just keep your main reef structure under the lights you have and the canopy hides a lot of the clutter.  

i think it's only 4' as it's a 120g + sump so two d120s with some low light ares in the corners or three with the short end facing you for optimal coverage. but like roni suggests, just take it slow. you don't need to have all your lights over the tank ASAP. you can add slowly as you add livestock.

What tank are you getting?

See below :)

My wife was unambiguous, by the way.  She said, "I can't believe you considered it."  heh.

Hahaha. I got the "I don't know if I'm happy for you, or if I should want to kill you...."

This is true. I'm keeping in mind that I already have the IT2080, not the d120's, so my spread is just right for the 36". The canopy will be new for me, and that will be nice to hide the clutter. I can consider some different fish options and a lid now, which is nice!

i think it's only 4' as it's a 120g + sump so two d120s with some low light ares in the corners or three with the short end facing you for optimal coverage. but like roni suggests, just take it slow. you don't need to have all your lights over the tank ASAP. you can add slowly as you add livestock.

I'm actually not sure if it's a 120g+sump, I need some more information on that. I found that there are 150 gallon tanks, and the dimensions are as follows by L,W,H:

72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 28 1/2

Judging by the pictures, this is what it is. I'm presuming because the door by it appears to be whatever a standard doorway is (above 6') so 72" sounds about right.

That leads me to believe there is no sump adding to that volume. In turn it means I'm looking to cover a 72" spread. If that's the case, I think 2x it2080 would be just right.

You are correct, I don't need to have everything covered right away, but I was thinking I could get in before this group buy closes and take care of it.

Thanks Jack, that is super helpful to confirm. I'll probably put in for another 2080 and call it a day with lighting.

Looks great!  Love the new additions

Thanks! It was really nice to finally meet you and Pez face to face! He gave me some great advice on feeding so I can catch my AE up to speed with y'all!

Yeah, Richard did a great job of helping me make my pockets a bit lighter. I wish I could have a piece of everything! Ohhhh, and the Dr. Mac's clams. I think I showed the most will power I've ever had yesterday when I didn't buy another clam!

I don't think I have ever been so excited to see another person get a bigger tank!

If you pack the same density of life into this 150 as you have in your 57, you will make the Great Barrier Reef jealous! :)

(edited)

Getting my popcorn ready for the 150.

Oh yea...did you consider a powder brown tang over the hippo, at all?

Edited by brad908