Praise Your LFS!!!

Oprah Wrangler

Hey everyone,

As of late there has been a bit of a hard go at LFS on our forums. As consumers we are very quick to complain and slow to praise sometimes. That being said, I would like to open a forum for us to throw some good words out there about our favorite LFS.

I will begin with a heart felt "you complete me" shout out to the ever amazing Quantum Reefs. These guys sell quality at quality prices. They are generous with their knowledge and time. Twice now Vince has gone out of his way to deliver special orders to my work place. Steve, though we have yet to meet face to face, has given me lots of valuable information and waists no time responding to my pm's. All of the live stock I have purchased has been healthy and vibrant. Quantum Reefs, this buds for you. Thanks alot guys.

I have to say the same for the newly started INCREDIBLE CORALS AND ARTFULLY ACRYLIC...not only being the closest LFS to me...

Adam and Steve are very friendly (hence the beer in the fridge,lol) and tell you like it...though they are just starting out in this venture i have full faith (and support) in this business....

I have also enjoyed the knowledgeable staff at The Marine Scene, Blue Ribbon Koi and Fins and Feathers...for the few times i have been to these i find the selection good, priced fairly and good staff...

I used to be one of the ones that said I'd rather have what the online stores are offering...prices, guarantee, free shipping...

Until now that our LFS's have stepped up their game and now the online retailers I used to drool over can't compare.

I'm looking at you, Quantum Reefs, Incredible Corals, Exotic Reef Creations. You guys have all been great!

Even Cozy Clown, BRK and Fins and Feathers have been doing awesome with keeping us drooling on FB and here on Wamas. Wish I was closer to support you too!

Keep it up!

I would like to give a shout out to ALL of them! I have, and will continue to patronize all the ones that are local to me.

In no particular order:

Incredible Corals / Artfully Acrylic

Aquatic Obsession

Blue Ribbon Koi

Marine Scene

Quantum Reefs

Petco

Petsmart

Aquarium One

Reef Escape (not really retail)

Prestine Aquarium

Roozens

Fins and Feathers

If I left anyone out, I'm sure they will let me know. lol

Edited by STEVE

I've yet to have a "bad" experience with any of our LFS... My only complaint is that I have to drag my family around for a couple of hours round trip to get to one of them... But its fun and we make a day of it.

BRK, AO, IC/AA, and Petland were all good experiences. I'm slowly moving down the list of our vendors to try them all out.

I would like to give a shout out to ALL of them! I have, and will continue to patronize all the ones that are local to me.

In no particular order:

Incredible Corals / Artfully Acrylic

Aquatic Obsession

Blue Ribbon Koi

Marine Scene

Quantum Reefs

Petco

Petsmart

Aquarium One

Reef Escape (not really retail)

Prestine Aquarium

Roozens

Fins and Feathers

If I left anyone out, I'm sure they will let me know. lol

ERC!

Steve and Vince at Quantum Reefs kept me out too late, that's my only complaint with them! :laugh:

I've also spent approximately a boat load of money at BRK and no complaints there either.

Incredible and ERC are the next placed I need to visit.

I don't think I've had a truely bad experience at any of our sponsers.

Thanks to everyone! :)

You guy's are lucky, you should live up this way. That said, I haven't had a bad experience from any of my not so local stores, but they are worth the drive!!!

I would have to say I am lucky enough to drive all over for work and have got to got to several different places along the way. I would like to thank Ben and Billy at Petland, the guys and lady at Congressional, Aquarium One, Tropical lagoon, Atlantis in Richmond, Driftwood Aquatics, Shaun at Petco Waldorf, MD., House of Tropics, and the one time I meet Adam at AA/IC.

Vince and Steve at Quantum Reefs! Amazing service, Quality product and livestock, and amazing prices! Please take the time to visit them if you haven't you will be pleasantly surprised.

Nice to see some good things for a change! We actually work really hard to bring things in at the right price so we can offer the best deals!

They dont always work out either! ;(

I like the idea of this thread, it's refreshing to hear similiar positive outlooks for vendors I frequent and also hear feedback from the new guys on the block that I have yet to visit.

I'd like to add Pacfic East Aquaculture and Rob's Aquarium Service to the mix since most other vendors have been listed. I am really impressed with the shipping process of Pacific East Aquaculture. And let's not forget Rob, how many of our tanks has he seen in person and offered his opinion (I mean advice!).

Edited by John

Exotic Reef Creations, Roozens and Pacific East Aquaculture (PEA) have been excellent this year. Great products at a pretty good price.

PEA has a pretty good Premium membership that has great packages.

Richard at Exotic Reef Creations has great corals and prices. If he doesn't have it he will get it for you.

Roozens get stuff most other places-LFS or online-usually doesn't get, plus I have never lost any fish from there from illness.

Simba? Timon? Pumba, is that you? Rafiki? Nala? Can you feel the love tonight?

Our LFS are like wives, they have stuff we like, want, and are attracted to, they tell us when we make poor choices, they take our money and leave us with empty wallets, and yet we still go back to them! Best, though, is that at the end of each day, they are there when we need them. I love you guys! ;)

Our LFS are like wives, they have stuff we like, want, and are attracted to, they tell us when we make poor choices, they take our money and leave us with empty wallets, and yet we still go back to them! Best, though, is that at the end of each day, they are there when we need them. I love you guys! ;)

Lol!

Fins n Feathers, Petland, BRK, Roozens and Incredible Corals have all been great. Thanks!

I was inspired to create a new signature graphic... feel free to use it.

We need to establish a "Local Fish Store Week". I did not see any information of such a thing on a search of internet, so can't we just decide it and let everyone else in the world know about it? We could promote and support our LFS by making sure we give them our business that week. I vote for the 1st week of March each year.

Edited by treesprite

Thanks everyone. Very appreciative of this thread and all those whom are contributing to it. Please pardon the Wikipedia length message below :rolleyes:

Before joining Vince to form Quantum Reefs, I was all over the map, Fins and Feathers, BRK, Aquarium One, Aquatic Obsession, the now defunct Wally's and yes, even Superpets. I'm the biggest impulse buyer, and when i get the nudge, it was store after store after store looking for something to buy, but either due to limited stock, I would sometimes end up empty handed. Computer, Internet, Credit Card... and my fix was solved... and then wait for the shipment... I admit that there were times that I never took the time to ask if they could special order livestock or equipment for me. I just figured they have what they have and that's it. I would spend countless hours researching for the appropriate equipment or compatibility with the existing livestock in my tank... and then, there were times I made mistakes, ordering either the wrong part or equipment, wasting money, ect, etc.

As a hobbyist first and then in the business, I can understand both sides. I realize it's hard sometimes that our ultimate goal is to get things at the best possible price, but sometimes, that comes at the expense of others, and to ourselves. By not supporting your LFS, you are forcing them to keep prices high in order to generate profit to keep the store open or risk closing down. There are some folks whom never step foot in a LFS except when it is in desperate need of something. Perhaps your heater broke, or your return pump or power head died and it is only with reluctance and urgency do you venture out to make that retail purchase. Think about that... the next time you need something urgently, there may not be any LFS for you to turn to.

Everyone wants to get the better pricing or having the ease of shipping it straight to you (I've ran a few group buys in the days myself) but I can tell you that it's nothing like being able to interact with the folks whom have insight into the industry, understand the care and husbandry of caring for you livestock and shelling out hard earned money to test products so that we can relay the appropriate information to our customers. With the ease of being able to obtain any sort of livestock or equipment at your fingertips, it's easy to forget that there is a whole separate industry out there that is relying on your support. Imagine, every week, when new livestock order come in, the anticipation, the work involved to ensure that all livestock are acclimated properly, the holding process, and ensuring that they livestock is healthy and eating well... this is a one a week, sometimes twice a week thing that all LFS has to go through. The long hours, the acceptance and dealing with DOAs, losses.... just imagine what you go through when you purchase 1 or 2 fish and prepare them for your tank... imagine that 100 fold sometimes and you'll have an idea of the pressure and stress that goes through each and every LFS on delivery day...

Last time I was at Fins and Feathers, I got into a discussion (somehow) with Sean and his mom about my Pomeranian's teary eye... they gave me advice and a bag of organic dog food to try... although my dog didn't take a liking to the food, I was very appreciative of the gesture. You will not get that type of customer service online nor will you get the type of attention you deserve, paying top dollars for livestock that you physically can't see.

Dealing with DOAs and acclimation issues, etc. Yes, you do get a 7-14 day guarantee (except with sensitive species) at some online places, but that shipping will kill you and if it's the free shipping you are aiming for, then you'll have to spend more money... it's an endless vicious cycle. Of course, you can try to organize a group buy, but you'll have to take the day off of work to accept delivery, verify the livestock, have folks miss appointments and come at all odd times of the day, etc., and if you are not the organizer, you'll still have to go to the organizers house to pick up the livestock. I've actually lost count of how much "credit" I still have with Live Aquaria, Bluezooaquatics, Reefs2go, etc.

To top it off, you are shocked that it looks nothing like the picture that you were drooling all over for. I once ordered a large lionfish from LA. What was sent to me was a puny little 2 inch lionfish. When I called and complained, they were generous enough to give me a $10 credit... cool... only $215 more to go to get free shipping. It got tiring pretty quickly. :blast:

As Vince and I venture out to open the new retail space in Springfield, we will continue to provide the excellent service you've been accustomed to getting, but in the long run, if the local community doesn't support us, or the other LFS in the area... it won't last long. We have exciting new ideas and plan on stocking the best of the best. We waste our own money to provide demos and verifying product worthiness so that you don't have to. Heck, we even have Bulk Reef Supply refills at the same price as BRS so that folks don't have to join a group buy just to get a gallon refill of Two-part... we, and other LFS make is as easy as possible for you to obtain and physically see things before purchasing. But, if there is no one to serve, then it's lights out. Everyone says that they want the best stuff, best and rare corals, best and rare fish, best of the best, but when it's in stock, instead of the sounds of footsteps, there are sounds of crickets chirping. This is what makes LFS hesitant on stocking their shelves with rare and expensive items. Imagine, to stock 1 qty of each item of some premium items such as MP10, MP40, MP60, Radion, AI Vega, Kessil LEDs, Tunze 6105, Tunze osmolator, RO/DI unit, would cost a few thousand dollars. If you're going to order it online, you're going to have to wait for it to be shipped anyways, why not ask your LFS to order it for you. At least it gets delivered safely and you can pick up when you have time instead of taking time off work to wait for delivery.

Not everyone is perfect and there will be times that you may disagree or have issues with how things are handled, but at least you have a face and person to yell at :angry: . Yes, there will be times you get defective products or you get a sick fish, but if we are all doing our due diligence and quarantining ALL our livestock, it would not be catastrophic. I'm sure if fish that are shiped out of the multi-million dollar run by the smartest marine biologist and experts in their field at Live Aquaria's Divers Den can get ich, marine velvet, HLLE, arrive DOA, then i'm sure you can have a little sympathy for the LFS. At least give them an opportunity to work with you and correct the issue. If they totally ignore you or brush you off, then take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of great LFS in the area.

So, to conclude, thank you for the supporters and we hope that you continue your support. It will only make us want to improve more. So the next time you are getting ready to hit that submit button to purchase something online, check with your LFS first. The next time you want to organize a group buy, check with your LFS first. You will not only get better livestock, but better service and a warm and appreciative THANK YOU instead of a order confirmation email. Think about that the next time you need ANYTHING for your tank.

Andre... this buds actually for you for coming up with this fantastic thread. I'm sure everyone appreciates this as much as we do. :clap:

WOOT! to Andre.

Shout out to Quantum Reefs, Incredible corals, ERC and BRK! These are the ones I've been to in the past 6 months. You are all great!

That's brilliant, I got a good laugh this morning reading this.