Tank is still cloudy

MBVette

The salt looks good, its reef crystals and is not clumping at all.

So I just test for TDS and it is testing 0. But I am getting phosphates out of the RO unit. So I think I am going to change the cartdiges anyway, b/c they are older. While they have not run a lot of water they sat full of water for a long period of time when I was between tanks

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check your county, do they add chloramines to the water? if so get some catalytic carbon (havent had cloudyness but when i added it to mine there was ALOT less algea) basically becomes the second chamber in the RODI process behind the sediment filter.....i have some extra if you want to try it out first (if you have any extra RO canister that is.

I would dose API AlgaeFix Marine and also add a phoshate absorber. It would kill the algae and free up the stored nutrients so they can be removed from the tank. This would give you a jump start into getting the system back into balance.

unfortunaly BRK is not open today, and Im not going to be going anywhere around the other stores. I have to run to the bank that shares a parking lot with petsmart so Ill run in there and grab some. To bad they dont carry GFO

(edited)

So I started running some GFO this morning and added some API Marine Algaefix.

So lets see what happens.

Edited by MBVette

Your sump seems VERY green.. im voting for free floating algae... im just suprised your DT doesnt look green>??? Im saying add a UV and see how that helps (plus it cant really hurt)

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a reef tank that cloudy with micro algae. I would set the skimmer to skim a little wetter then normal. Did you ever try adding a flocculant?

Last night someone recommended a video since it might show more and I wanted to include the sump this time also. It is amazing that it is so cloudy now you can see the exact light patterns off the LEDs now, you can see how the center brace breaks the light perfectly now.

I left today at like 11, so I don't know if it cleared up at all. I'll take a look in the morning Anderson you know.

I completely forgot about the flocculant. At this point I will let this run until Friday to see if its clearing up at all before I order coral snow.

Right now I am starting to come to the realization I might have to drain this tank and start over. Not something I want to do at all since I don't know what I would do with the livestock. If this does not work that might be the only remaining step.

Scott, let the Algaefix Marine have a chance. If you still need the diatom filter, let me know. I've held off because it looked like you were taking the other route.

Just let it run for like a month and see what happens. The fish are fine so there is no harm in letting it go. If you drain the tank, there is no guarentee it will fix the problem but you will certainly be stressing the fish.

seems to me that many people who use the type of rock that you are using have had similar issues with algae. could this be the culprit? I've heard thru the grapevine that other people in the club have had issues with the dry pukani...

i just got this weird feeling that you are messing with it too much. Its great that everyone is giving you suggestions but you gotta leave it alone. Seems like every day you try something else. its not going to fix it self over night. Leave the tank alone for a while, turn the lights off for 2 days and let the tank run it course.

Lights are on and the tank is much clearer than yesterday. You can almost see the back of the tank right now; and the sump is not nearly as green.

left-1.jpg

right-1.jpg

sump-1.jpg

Definitely looks better! FWIW, I agree with Rocko, might want to slow down a bit. Have you added UV?

Finally, I have 200 lbs of marco rock and have had no problems with excess algae.